Looking for relatively light hearted & plot focused romance VN, similar to Princess Evangile

snowbell55

I'd like some help in finding something similar to Princess Evangile, in being fun to read, and also sticking to its plot. I don't mind if it gets serious from time to time but would prefer for it to stay on the lighter side. As for why I liked PE (and to give more of an idea of what I'm looking for, the "sticking to the plot" was one of the biggest things, since it made the VN feel more cohesive. I also really liked the story and the presentation (art + music). The characters were also really well done (IMO) and memorable. It left me feeling comfortable and happy when reading, and that's what I'm hoping for in whatever recommendations come next. I'm planning on buying W Happiness later this year so I have something to look forward to.

I've noticed Noble Works (finished it) and Hatsukoi 1/1 (almost finished it) be recommended as fans of PE, but I have issues with both of them. Not to say I didn't enjoy them, but both seem to 

Spoiler

be more focused on the characters once you get onto their routes, and [heavily] sideline the plots instead. 

I'd say they both do pretty well in terms of characters, and also art and story, but that (above) remains the biggest caveat with both of them. I've also read part of Majikoi and quite enjoyed it but would prefer something that's a bit more serious and realistic than that. 

Also (and perhaps most importantly) it needs to be in English. TL or official localization doesn't matter, but English is a must. 

Thanks for the time and the recommendations!

Well, I loved PE but I also didn't like Noble Works and Hatsukoi 1/1. Both VN's don't have a story and the character were imo not really good. I don't know why people say that Noble Works is similar to PE... It isn't! Noble Works is more a comedy VN with no story. 

I would recommend you to read:
- Chrono Clock  --> At first I thought that it won't be a good VN but I was wrong with this assumption. I liked Chrono Clock more than PE. There is a nice and heart-warming story with a great romance and it's the first time that the Incest-Route was the best for me. The incest route dosen't focus on the "incest" part actually but it's more about "family". 
- Grisaia no Kajitsu --> Be aware that the common route is very long! But it's one of the best VN out there in english with an awesome MC. 2 Route's focus on romance (Yumiko and Sacchi), the other have a really good story as far as I know. But if you really like romance then start with Yumiko's route. I loved her route very much and imo I have never read a better romance route. Furthermore I mostly skip the h-scenes because they aren't really romantic but in Yumiko's route it was my first time that I actually read all h-scenes in a route. They were actually very good and cute. Every route in Grisaia no Kajitsu focus on the plot and in Yumiko's route you also have a good romance. 
Personally, I love storys were the MC does everything to protect his girl.
- Dracu-Riot! --> It's from the same company as Noble Works but it's a lot better. The story is average but we have a Story till the end of each route. Furthermore it's funny and I liked the romance. 
- G-senjou no Maou --> Well, it isn't your average VN. The Plot is really interesting but the romance is a little bit too short.

Edited by -soraa

There are a lot of thread like this on fuwa, so I'd recommend you'd check:

These are the ones I remember.

Edited by Guest

Most of the ones I've read so far are recommended....

- Kono Oozora https://vndb.org/v9093 . Very light hearted in general (but still has some drama). This game has a brand new fan translation that came out days ago too.

- Wagamama High Spec https://vndb.org/v17823 . Also light hearted, with some great artwork and cutesy music. Plot has a lot of manga and eroge references (since the protag is a manga author). And this VN has a LOT of H content too.

- Grisaia no Kajitsu https://vndb.org/v5154 . I'm always going to recommend this to everyone. Great cast, funny writing, nice music. The common route is VERY light hearted and full of comedy. The character routes get quite serious though.

1 hour ago, r0xm2n said:

- Kono Oozora https://vndb.org/v9093 . Very light hearted in general (but still has some drama). This game has a brand new fan translation that came out days ago too.

I think the characters in it are more light-hearted. Everything else is constructed to be more like a fairy-tale to me, from the music, artwork, to the basic flow of the plot. Keep in mid though that there is a VERY HEAVY emphasis on the technical aspect of aviation throughout the entire game. I wanted to highlight this to the thread starter since I found this aspect of the VN to be quite boring.

Also, I sugguest you skip Grisaia no Kaijitsu if you want something which is light-hearted the entire way. The common route is well-written and funny, but this completely changes once you go into the routes (especially the latter part of Amane's route). Otherwise, this is an excellent title and well worthy of your consideration.

And please ignore -soraa recommendation of G-Senjou no Maou. it's a utsuge, and NOT a light-hearted game in any way. Everything in it, from the plot to the music, feels excessively depressing  (especially the main heroine's ending/epilogue. I cannot help but think why the developers must do it like that. Feels excessive, and it's done like that just to follow the overall feel of the game)

Personally, I would recommend this, which is something I'm playing right now, although there's still a heavier focus on character interaction when compared to Princess Evangile. If you like it, you can try this, which is one of my fav VN of all time. It's similar to Flora Flowlove, but the general tone of the game is a bit heavier :)

if you can wait, this looks interesting (and it's by Moonstone as well, same company behind Princess Evangile). I have not played it before, but it looks and feels like it's exactly the title which you are looking for

Edited: Hey -Soraa, the G-Senjou link in your post points incorrectly to Dracu-Riot :)

Edited by phantomJS
Edited link

10 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Also, I sugguest you skip Grisaia no Kaijitsu if you want something which is light-hearted the entire way. The common route is well-written and funny, but this completely changes once you go into the routes (especially the latter part of Amane's route). Otherwise, this is an excellent title and well worthy of your consideration.

And please ignore -soraa recommendation of G-Senjou no Maou. it's a utsuge, and NOT a light-hearted game in any way. Everything in it, from the plot to the music, feels excessively depressing  (especially the main heroine's ending/epilogue. I cannot help but think why the developers must do it like that. Feels excessive, and it's done like that just to follow the overall feel of the game)

Really? Seriously, I could also recommend him just to read:
- Da Capo trilogy (Part 1, part 2 & part3
- D.S. -Dal Segno-
Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort

But why should I? He said that he didn't enjoy Noble Works and Hatsukoi 1/1. Therefore why should I recommend him another run-of-the-mil moege VN? Maybe he will like Da Capo II and III.
Moreover PE also has quite a "depressive" atmosphere especially in Ayaka's route about her mother. Furthermore he wants to read something with a good plot and not just a moege. 
Thats why I also recommended him Grisaia no Kajitsu and G-senjou no Maou. Also he dosen't have to read every route in Grisaia no Kajitsu. Just start with Yumiko and he can always come back to read the other ones, if he has enough of moege and wants something with a really good plot. 
And that's one of the biggest advantages of a VN. He isn't forced to read every route after another. 

Well, it's true that G-Senjou no Maou isn't light-hearted and I already said that it isn't your average VN. It focus more on the plot and the romance is really short. However imo just the ending was depressive. White Album 2 and Katawa Shoujo have a more depressive atmosphere. 
He should read this one if he wants a strong plot and a good story with a really good ending. However the romance is really short. 

I would recommend this, which is something I'm playing right now, although there's still a heavier focus on character interaction when compared to Princess Evangile. If you like it, you can try this, which is one of my fav VN of all time. It's similar to Flora Flowlove, but the general tone of the game is a bit heavier :)

15 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Also (and perhaps most importantly) it needs to be in English. TL or official localization doesn't matter, but English is a must. 

Well, it needs to be in English:makina: 
He can't read chinese like you I think and neither japanese. Correct me if I am wrong. 

If he has basic or average japanese skills, then he could try machine translation otherwise NO.
There are several reasons why I wouldn't recommend you to read a VN with machine translation. 
IMO I really enjoy to read and understand everything and don't to figure out what the characters are talking about and what's the plot.
I would never read something in a different language if I don't master the basics. It's the same thing as to read a very good book in spanish but you have no spanish skills. You also won't solve a math problem if you don't know the basics.
The translation is bad and there a lot of mistakes.  

Maschine translation is good if you have a basic knowledge in japanese (kanji) and it helps you alot because you don't have to look up in a dictionary every single time
But if you can't read kanji then please don't do it.
Furthermore I would recommend machine translation just for the fan-discs of a VN you already finished or for a short VN but never for medium or long VN. 

Maybe in the next decades we will have really good machine translation software. 

Hey -Soraa, the G-Senjou link in your post points incorrectly to Dracu-Riot :)

Thanks Bro. 

Furthermore snowbell55 keep an eye on this VN: Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai

tsurezurescans is going to translate it this year, if they don't change their mind,  and it will be finished next year. It's from the same company as Hatsukoi1/1 but it's a lot better and a very good romance/drama/SoL VN. A friend told me that it's quite a kamige romance VN. 

Edited by -soraa

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

Well, it's true that G-Senjou no Maou isn't light-hearted and I already said that it isn't your average VN. It focus more on the plot and the romance is really short. However imo just the ending was depressive. White Album 2 and Katawa Shoujo have a more depressive atmosphere. 

He should read this one if he wants a strong plot and a good story with a really good ending. However the romance is really short. 

Well he already said he wanted something light-hearted. I think perhaps u are used to this kind of stuff or something. No matter what you think, it's definitely NOT light-hearted in any way. Why, I still remember dropping the game for a while once i reach the choice to continue down Tsubaki's route or not because I can't the depressing music.

Well, it needs to be in

English:makina: 
He can't read chinese like you I think and neither japanese. Correct me if I am wrong

Sorry, totally forgot :P

To thread starter, please ignore my recommendations :)

Furthermore snowbell55 keep an eye on this VN: 

Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai

tsurezurescans is going to translate it this year, if they don't change their mind,  and it will be finished next year.

That's so long off. Woundl't it be better to recommend something current like this instead?

Edited by phantomJS

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

Well he already said he wanted something light-hearted. I think perhaps u are used to this kind of stuff or something. No matter what you think, it's definitely NOT light-hearted in any way. Why, I still remember dropping the game for a while once i reach the choice to continue down Tsubaki's route or not as I can't the depressing music.

Could be true. I already watched and read more depressive stuffs and G-senjou no maou wasn't that depressive for me. It was quite thrilling rather than depressive. 

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Well he already said he wanted something light-hearted. I think perhaps u are used to this kind of stuff or something. No matter what you think, it's definitely NOT light-hearted in any way. Why, I still remember dropping the game for a while once i reach the choice to continue down Tsubaki's route or not because I can't the depressing music.

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

Could be true. I already watched and read more depressive stuffs and G-senjou no maou wasn't that depressive for me. It was quite thrilling rather than depressive. 

I mean, it's not lighthearted at all, but it's still good :leecher: I first read it because people recommended it to me as a romance VN, and while I didn't wind up finding much romance (just a tiny bit, not the focus of the story by any means), I can't say I regret reading it at all either, so... 

I'm probably the worst person to ask for lighthearted stuff as everything I like tends to be heavy and depressing af, but I guess you could try Little Busters, if you haven't read it already. Sure, it's a KEY VN and it gets sad towards the end, and well, it also has its share of heavy moments here and there throughout the routes... but I would say that until you get to Refrain it's mostly as lighthearted a slice of life as it gets.

First off, thanks everyone for the recommendations - there are a LOT of really good-looking ones here. Much appreciated :D. 

On 3/31/2018 at 4:02 PM, -soraa said:

Well, I loved PE but I also didn't like Noble Works and Hatsukoi 1/1. Both VN's don't have a story and the character were imo not really good. I don't know why people say that Noble Works is similar to PE... It isn't! Noble Works is more a comedy VN with no story. 

I would recommend you to read:
- Chrono Clock  --> At first I thought that it won't be a good VN but I was wrong with this assumption. I liked Chrono Clock more than PE. There is a nice and heart-warming story with a great romance and it's the first time that the Incest-Route was the best for me. The incest route dosen't focus on the "incest" part actually but it's more about "family". 
- Grisaia no Kajitsu --> Be aware that the common route is very long! But it's one of the best VN out there in english with an awesome MC. 2 Route's focus on romance (Yumiko and Sacchi), the other have a really good story as far as I know. But if you really like romance then start with Yumiko's route. I loved her route very much and imo I have never read a better romance route. Furthermore I mostly skip the h-scenes because they aren't really romantic but in Yumiko's route it was my first time that I actually read all h-scenes in a route. They were actually very good and cute. Every route in Grisaia no Kajitsu focus on the plot and in Yumiko's route you also have a good romance. 
Personally, I love storys were the MC does everything to protect his girl.
- Dracu-Riot! --> It's from the same company as Noble Works but it's a lot better. The story is average but we have a Story till the end of each route. Furthermore it's funny and I liked the romance. 
- G-senjou no Maou --> Well, it isn't your average VN. The Plot is really interesting but the romance is a little bit too short.

Thanks for the recommendations! I should point out that I made a bit of a mistake in my writing - it's not that I don't like Hatsukoi 1/1 or Noble Works, but rather that I would've preferred they'd manage to copy that aspect (stronger plot) from PE than the way they had. I still think both of them are worthwhile reads though, and I'd definitely want to read other stuff that is like them - just not next up. Even so, these are some really interesting-looking recommendations, so thanks for linking them :D. Grisaia no Kajitsu is one I want to get ASAP (as is G-Senjou no Maou), and I think I'll just . wait for Dracu-Riot to come out (hopefully on Steam) and get it then. Going to have to look into Chrono Clock though.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, ittaku said:

To Heart 2 translated by yours truly. Character driven but a plot for each of the heroines. See below for project thread.

Thanks! Wasn't it you who mentioned it just recently as well? 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:30 PM, SeniorBlitz said:

There are a lot of thread like this on fuwa, so I'd recommend you'd check:

These are the ones I remember.

Ah drat - apologies for making an essentially duplicate thread :(. Still, thanks for the recommendations - there are quite a few good ones in there.

22 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Most of the ones I've read so far are recommended....

- Wagamama High Spec https://vndb.org/v17823 . Also light hearted, with some great artwork and cutesy music. Plot has a lot of manga and eroge references (since the protag is a manga author). And this VN has a LOT of H content too.

- Grisaia no Kajitsu https://vndb.org/v5154 . I'm always going to recommend this to everyone. Great cast, funny writing, nice music. The common route is VERY light hearted and full of comedy. The character routes get quite serious though.

Thank you very much! I actually have Kono Oozora so will most likely jump on that while waiting to get the others :D. Also, thanks for the recommendation for Wagamama High Spec - I was a bit  cautious initially but if it involves a student council (I don't know why but I usually find those interesting) then I'd definitely want to give it a shot. That said I'd like to ask - does the H-content in it add meaningfully to the story or is it something you're fine missing by just getting the All Ages version on Steam? I'd prefer to get it on Steam if possible but would be willing to make an exception. 

28 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

Thanks! Wasn't it you who mentioned it just recently as well?

Of course. After putting in all that effort to translate and release it, I want to increase awareness of this VN as much as possible, otherwise it feels like it was wasted effort.

11 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Also, thanks for the recommendation for Wagamama High Spec - I was a bit  cautious initially but if it involves a student council (I don't know why but I usually find those interesting) then I'd definitely want to give it a shot. That said I'd like to ask - does the H-content in it add meaningfully to the story or is it something you're fine missing by just getting the All Ages version on Steam? I'd prefer to get it on Steam if possible but would be willing to make an exception. 

Not for me. Doesn't add much, if anything at all, to the story or character development (If you are looking for this type of thing, pick up Grisaia and read through Amane and Makina's ruotes first)

If you don't like 18+ scenes, I think you can just buy the steam release :)

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Not for me. Doesn't add much, if anything at all, to the story or character development (If you are looking for this type of thing, pick up Grisaia and read through Amane and Makina's ruotes first)

Actually one H-scene is important for the sister route. 

Spoiler

Where the MC finds out that his sister is masturbating and thinking about him...  :P 
So he became aware of her feelings.

He should buy the unrated version of Grisaia no Kajitsu because they changed a lot of CGs not only the h-scenes. Furthermore imo you need the h-scenes in Yumiko's route they are quite important. 

Edited by -soraa

2 minutes ago, -soraa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Where the MC finds out that his sister is masturbating and thinking about him...  :P 

Ok, I missed out on that lolz.

Pretty sure that's the only one in the game that adds anything of value to the story. Depending on how the steam release was handled, you would not missed out on anything

Anyone played the steam release? Able to let us know how was it? :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is more than just a little bit delayed but I wanted to come back and thank everyone again for their responses - all of which have been really helpful. There are a whole bunch of really good looking recommendations and seeing as I can't see any that I don't want to read, I feel like it'll be literally two years if not more before I exhaust this list, which is perfectly fine, of course - more to read and enjoy :D.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:16 PM, phantomJS said:

I think the characters in it are more light-hearted. Everything else is constructed to be more like a fairy-tale to me, from the music, artwork, to the basic flow of the plot. Keep in mid though that there is a VERY HEAVY emphasis on the technical aspect of aviation throughout the entire game. I wanted to highlight this to the thread starter since I found this aspect of the VN to be quite boring.

Personally, I would recommend this, which is something I'm playing right now, although there's still a heavier focus on character interaction when compared to Princess Evangile. If you like it, you can try this, which is one of my fav VN of all time. It's similar to Flora Flowlove, but the general tone of the game is a bit heavier :)

if you can wait, this looks interesting (and it's by Moonstone as well, same company behind Princess Evangile). I have not played it before, but it looks and feels like it's exactly the title which you are looking for

Edited: Hey -Soraa, the G-Senjou link in your post points incorrectly to Dracu-Riot :)

As far as GnK goes, I don't mind light hearted only part of the way. I guess I wasn't as clear as possible in the OP but my general idea (and plan) is to read something light-hearted and comforting, after reading something more heavy and potentially sad, and then keep on going like that. As much as I like reading the heavier stuff (and being punched in the feels as a result), I've found it really helps to balance that with something that is [almost] guaranteed to be light and fluffy, so that's where that insistence came from. It's just for this particular set of circumstances though: G Senjou no Maou and Grisaia no Kajitsu are both VNs I want to read as soon as possible. 

Thank you for the Japanese recommendations though - both honestly look really interesting. Not going to be able to read them any time soon due to the language barrier, but hopefully one day that won't be the case so will keep them in mind. Thank you too for the Magical Marriage Lunatics recommendation as well. It looks really good :D. 

On 4/1/2018 at 6:21 AM, -soraa said:

Really? Seriously, I could also recommend him just to read:
- Da Capo trilogy (Part 1, part 2 & part3
- D.S. -Dal Segno-
Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort

But why should I? He said that he didn't enjoy Noble Works and Hatsukoi 1/1. Therefore why should I recommend him another run-of-the-mil moege VN? Maybe he will like Da Capo II and III.
Moreover PE also has quite a "depressive" atmosphere especially in Ayaka's route about her mother. Furthermore he wants to read something with a good plot and not just a moege. 
Thats why I also recommended him Grisaia no Kajitsu and G-senjou no Maou. Also he dosen't have to read every route in Grisaia no Kajitsu. Just start with Yumiko and he can always come back to read the other ones, if he has enough of moege and wants something with a really good plot. 
And that's one of the biggest advantages of a VN. He isn't forced to read every route after another. 

Well, it needs to be in English:makina: 
He can't read chinese like you I think and neither japanese. Correct me if I am wrong. 

If he has basic or average japanese skills, then he could try machine translation otherwise NO.
There are several reasons why I wouldn't recommend you to read a VN with machine translation. 
IMO I really enjoy to read and understand everything and don't to figure out what the characters are talking about and what's the plot.
I would never read something in a different language if I don't master the basics. It's the same thing as to read a very good book in spanish but you have no spanish skills. You also won't solve a math problem if you don't know the basics.
The translation is bad and there a lot of mistakes.  

Maschine translation is good if you have a basic knowledge in japanese (kanji) and it helps you alot because you don't have to look up in a dictionary every single time
But if you can't read kanji then please don't do it.
Furthermore I would recommend machine translation just for the fan-discs of a VN you already finished or for a short VN but never for medium or long VN. 

Maybe in the next decades we will have really good machine translation software. 

Thanks Bro. 

Furthermore snowbell55 keep an eye on this VN: Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai

tsurezurescans is going to translate it this year, if they don't change their mind,  and it will be finished next year. It's from the same company as Hatsukoi1/1 but it's a lot better and a very good romance/drama/SoL VN. A friend told me that it's quite a kamige romance VN. 

It's not that I didn't enjoy Noble Works or Hatsukoi 1/1, but rather that I felt that both would've been elevated if they didn't wind up doing what they did, which is (IMO) a pitfall PE didn't wind up, well, falling into. I did enjoy the both of them, though, and if I had to go back in time and read both of them I would. It's just that the missing piece was (IMO) the difference between both of them being "good", and "excellent" (which IMO PE was). 

Thanks for the recommendation! Going to keep an eye on it. IMO they did really well with the translation of Hatsukoi 1/1, both in terms of quality and speed, so hopefully they don't change their mind or (worse yet) stop doing VN translations... 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:46 AM, phantomJS said:

Sorry, totally forgot :P

To thread starter, please ignore my recommendations :)

I'll keep them in mind - gives something to look forward to :D. 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, Thyndd said:

I mean, it's not lighthearted at all, but it's still good :leecher: I first read it because people recommended it to me as a romance VN, and while I didn't wind up finding much romance (just a tiny bit, not the focus of the story by any means), I can't say I regret reading it at all either, so... 

I'm probably the worst person to ask for lighthearted stuff as everything I like tends to be heavy and depressing af, but I guess you could try Little Busters, if you haven't read it already. Sure, it's a KEY VN and it gets sad towards the end, and well, it also has its share of heavy moments here and there throughout the routes... but I would say that until you get to Refrain it's mostly as lighthearted a slice of life as it gets.

I've read Little Busters, and really loved it, but in a way it's part of the reason why I asked for light-hearted stuff, so I'd know that I wouldn't wind up being in a situation like that. Not because it's bad or anything, but just - honestly several of the routes really hit close to home and had me crying my eyes out, and once I finished it I was in a bit of a funk for a while, so I'm hoping to space out experiences like that so as to not be too overwhelmed or depressed. 

Little Busters spoilers below - don't read if you haven't read all routes (just to be sure)

Spoiler

SMH some of those routes were just too sad though. Like for real - way too sad. Haruka's for example I felt so horrible for her, and then Refrain, and then to have to follow that up with Kanata, and then Sasami... That poor cat - that poor poor cat. Like that route especially - I thought it'd be a way to end on a high note, but nope. Hit me RIGHT in the feels and I don't think I could deal with any more routes after that. I can't listen to Faraway now without feeling tears in the back of my eyes. Little Busters is a great VN but there needs to be a warning of some sort to let you know that you need more than just a single roll of tissues handy.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:30 PM, ittaku said:

Of course. After putting in all that effort to translate and release it, I want to increase awareness of this VN as much as possible, otherwise it feels like it was wasted effort.

Awww. I hope you don't honestly think it would've been wasted effort. If it wasn't for the patch, those of us who can't understand Japanese wouldn't be able to read it at all, so it'd definitely really helpful. It's worked on at least one person, too :P. I'd said I was IMHHW but I'm going to read To Heart 2 first though, since I really like Aquaplus and since it'll be long enough to really sink my teeth into. Will save IMHHW for a little bit, so thank you for taking the time to translate it and talk about it :D.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:56 AM, phantomJS said:

On 4/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, -soraa said:

Reveal hidden contents

He should buy the unrated version of Grisaia no Kajitsu because they changed a lot of CGs not only the h-scenes. Furthermore imo you need the h-scenes in Yumiko's route they are quite important. 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:56 AM, phantomJS said:

Ok, I missed out on that lolz.

Pretty sure that's the only one in the game that adds anything of value to the story. Depending on how the steam release was handled, you would not missed out on anything

Anyone played the steam release? Able to let us know how was it? :)

I did a bit of googling and it seems like the 18 version is the preferable one so will try for that if possible.

Little Busters spoiler

Spoiler

Drat - now I'm back to thinking of that cat again...

Edited by snowbell55
Fixed formatting somewhat