DRM in DMM games

Punmade

Hi, for anyone that buy the games from DMM, i want to ask you some things
i want to buy eroge from dmm but i heard a lot of bad things of the DRM used by DMM
basically my question is: 
how do the DRM work in the games that i download from DMM? 
can i still hook the games with DRM from DMM active with text hooker? currently i'm learning japanese but i still have a lot of words to look up

Whether you can hook a game or not often depends on the game's engine. DMM's normal DRM will not affect the hooking for most of their games.* The general DRM on DMM is not that bad. You need to log in once before launching the game. After having done that once, you can play the game without any more DRM checks. (You can then also play the game offline without any issues.)

I own around 15 games from DMM, and they were all hookable. That being said, there will be games from DMM that can't be hooked, and the only real way to find out is by checking yourself, or asking someone else who owns the game.

* DMM does have DMM Game Player, which is an incredibly annoying, super restrictive form of DRM. If the game you want uses this, then chances are you cannot hook it. You can not play the game offline, and you must launch it from the DMM Game Player lancher.

5 hours ago, Punmade said:

Hi, for anyone that buy the games from DMM, i want to ask you some things
i want to buy eroge from dmm but i heard a lot of bad things of the DRM used by DMM
basically my question is: 
how do the DRM work in the games that i download from DMM? 
can i still hook the games with DRM from DMM active with text hooker? currently i'm learning japanese but i still have a lot of words to look up

If it is also on Dlsite or Getchu's download portion, use those.  DMM's issues can be seriously annoying at times.

DRM should be avoided as much as possible. It tends to give problems when you least expect it, particularly if you do more than just "normal gaming". Look for instance at steam DRM. If you play some FPS and apply a wallhack to see enemies hiding when you shouldn't the steam engine will detect this and crash the game instantly. It sounds nice that they have made multiplayer game cheat proof and it's all good. Well in many other cases it's not.

The problem is that they do not detect cheat programs as such. Instead they detect when external programs tries to access memory allocated to the game and crash the game on detection. The problem with that approach is that not all such access programs are cheats. Text hookers falls into this category and so does debuggers. The latter is used by mod makers to figure out what goes wrong if a mod crashes and most great mods on steam are actually made on non-steam versions of the game because steam actively prevents investigating crashes.

Some steam games allow opening the exe directly and that way disable the anti-cheat code while also disable all steam features. It's entirely possible that some steam VNs allows text hooking, but only if you do not open them through the steam app. I'm not sure why you would hook into steam VNs as they tend to be English already, but I still think this is worth adding to this tread. You never know what somebody might need to know in the future.

I don't know the specifics of DRM on DMM vs Dlsite vs Getchu to say for certain which one to pick, but I do know it can be very important if you want to use a text hooker. It's also worth mentioning that disc versions tend to be DRM free.

I looked at the DRM on some of the DMM games I bought and the DRM doesn't do much to protect the game.

Spoiler

When you start a DMM game, you start with running a program that checks your subscription online. Once all security checks pass, it then jumps to the actual game program. The game program itself is unmodified and original. Very simple security.

For Steam games, the game program is actually recompiled with Steam codes and it's this that checks the memory for unauthorized access. You need the Steam codes to have that Steam overlay and be able to unlock achievements, playtime, status, etc. of your Steam account.

2 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Games using DMM player can't be hooked but worry not
You can't actually buy those games without Japanese IP either so you won't see them on the shop so they can't fuck you up

You can get a Japanese IP by using a Japanese VPN or proxy server. Do not assume forum users can't access something just because it requires a Japanese IP.

7 minutes ago, tymmur said:

You can get a Japanese IP by using a Japanese VPN or proxy server. Do not assume forum users can't access something just because it requires a Japanese IP.

What I mean is that this way he can actually know what games he can't hook because they don't actually say anywhere with a big text which games use DMM player and which do not

Edited by Kiriririri

Just now, Punmade said:

Thanks for the replies!

so that mean the games that i download from DMM but don't use DMM player can still be hooked? 

Most of the time, yes. At the very least, the DRM from DMM should not be an issue with the hooking of a game. So, if a game is hookable outside of DMM's version, it should also be hookable if you bought it from DMM.

• 1 year later...