Best device to play VNs in bed?

VaroOP

Do you need a gadget? Because I heard that very few of them work with VNs; I'd suggest you to use a laptop (there are some that are hybrid and "turn" into a tablet). I use mine with an wireless mouse, and the experience is fine, as it is very close to my bed.

As always the best device is a computer running windows. Get a monitor optimized for color quality (as opposed to speed for fast gaming) and put it on a vesa mount arm. Use wireless keyboard and mouse or use a monitor with USB ports. Speakers in the monitor would likely not be of acceptable quality, but you would likely use headphones anyway.

And in case you aren't sure what a vesa mount arm is, here is an example. They exist in many versions because they can be optimized for heavy monitors, movement, budget or something else.

Spoiler

Ergotech_FDM-MAC-S01-VESA_Freedom_Arm_fo

A 2in1 tablet/laptop could be an option too. I like watching/reading stuff on my tablet when in bed, don't really like looking at the PC screen from afar. Something that can be both held in hand or stand like a normal laptop is pretty convenient. And they're usually a fully-functional Windows machines - eg. Acer has a whole series of cheap convertibles and I think even the Pentium models would easily do the job for a normal VN. :)

22 hours ago, tymmur said:

As always the best device is a computer running windows. Get a monitor optimized for color quality (as opposed to speed for fast gaming) and put it on a vesa mount arm. Use wireless keyboard and mouse or use a monitor with USB ports. Speakers in the monitor would likely not be of acceptable quality, but you would likely use headphones anyway.

And in case you aren't sure what a vesa mount arm is, here is an example. They exist in many versions because they can be optimized for heavy monitors, movement, budget or something else.

Reveal hidden contents

Ergotech_FDM-MAC-S01-VESA_Freedom_Arm_fo

Unfortunately a PC just won't do but I know where you are coming from. I abandoned using a laptop or any kind of portable machine other than my phone since 2013 till now and I have a pretty good PC but I started going to university and through the first semester I have realized that I do need a portable machine. 

15 hours ago, Clephas said:

I usually use my laptop.  Though, with my back in the state it is, I can't really lie down in bed and do stuff anymore.

If you remember my previous post as well, I decided on a Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch. It can manage games like DOTA 2 because of its GT 150MX GPU and has a pretty good i7-8550U CPU. 
It's selling point to me though, is the aluminium body, a nice FHD IPS display and the weight which is 3.4 lbs or 1.5 kg. I am concerned about the screen hinge which doesn't seem like its very sturdy but well it's not like I am gonna roll around with it in bed. 

12 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

A 2in1 tablet/laptop could be an option too. I like watching/reading stuff on my tablet when in bed, don't really like looking at the PC screen from afar. Something that can be both held in hand or stand like a normal laptop is pretty convenient. And they're usually a fully-functional Windows machines - eg. Acer has a whole series of cheap convertibles and I think even the Pentium models would easily do the job for a normal VN. :)

This is why I had bought a cheap Acer laptop in the first place which was a 2 in 1 and let me tell you I did use it for reading some manga, couldn't for anime because it wasn't full HD and had a horrible screen pretty much. I even ran a VN on it but never played the VN on it instead I used screen mirroring of my TV to play the VN on my TV  and used the tab itself as a wireless keyboard. (Just me trying to use it for its original purpose.) Well the 2 in 1 was too heavy for playing VNs in bed and I know how I struggled to read manga due to it's weight. 
In conclusion my experience with a 2-in-1 was so horrible that I don't have it in me to invest in it again. 

Well finally like I said, I bought the Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to play VNs in bed by placing the laptop on my lap.

Living in China, I have access to some pretty cheap tech and one of my acquisitions has been a Teclast Tbook 16 Pro. A Surface clone, It dual boots Android/Windows 10, has a detachable keyboard and feels pretty nice (for the price). It's a little heavier than the iPad, but it's got a great screen (for the price) and I've had no problems running any otoge/VNs on it. The battery life is kind of crappy (about 4-5 hours), but honestly, if I'm playing VNs in bed, I'm not going to be playing for more than an hour before I fall asleep anyways. 

1 minute ago, milkteebaby said:

if I'm playing VNs in bed, I'm not going to be playing for more than an hour before I fall asleep anyways. 

Actually I better warn about that kind of behavior. Once I did that and suddenly I woke up hours later because I was surprisingly no longer alone. Luckily the screen contained just all age stuff, but that was pure luck considering the title in question :gasp: