Advice for a computer chair that won't strain my neck and is comfortable on my butt

NowItsAngeTime

Hey guys I've been having this issue for finding a good computer chair for home.

So when I moved to my new apartment last July, I was able to use chair I had until like a month ago when it started to hurt my buttocks even when I sat on it for not even 10 minutes:

https://i.imgur.com/ezdpASS.jpg

So I decided to look for a new one and got the same one I have at my work (around 200 dollars):
https://i.imgur.com/X6qgGJs.jpg

But the problem is sitting on it for like 5-10 minutes strains my neck. If I stay on it longer, my whole neck hurts like hell.

I looked for a chair on IKEA that had good reviews and got it also for around $200:
https://i.imgur.com/CQtvjGU.jpg

However I'm also getting similar neck issues. I think the issue with both is when I sit back, they both tilt my head forwards which causes the strain in neck since it's not in line with my spine.

If it's worth noting I've had back issues growing up but thanks to massage/chiropractor/acupuncture therapy that's gotten better. However my neck, shoulders, and glutes have been in bad shape.

I'm starting to wonder if my home desk positioning is part of it. I try to at setup my desk so I'm looking straight at my screen and not down:
https://i.imgur.com/dghzzBT.jpg

I'm just really sick of wasting money and not being able to enjoy relaxing at my computer at home. It's literally more comfortable sitting at work and I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me. Before I make a new purchase I want advice so I'm not just constantly trying out chairs that won't work for me.

If anyone has any advice or like provide a pic of what they're chair looks like if it mostly works for them that'd be great, thanks!

So...it's more comfortable sitting at work? But you bought the same chair, brought it home, and have neck pain. 

Which you don't at work?

Sounds like it's a desk problem. 

Edit: If you're looking for cush for your tush, get a cush. (sorry, I'm listening to Tush by ZZ Top)

Edited by milkteebaby

Sadly, there are no good computer chairs around this price tag, but it looks more like an issue with your desk, mainly the bad multi-monitor setup. I'd advice to get a better desk instead or change your habits regarding using more than one monitor. From personal experience, I can say this can pose a lot more issues than just having a bad chair. TL&DR - bad chairs are bad for your back, wrong placement of monitors is bad for your neck.

Alternatively, you can try making breaks every once in 45 minutes or an hour. It helps a bit.

edit: that desk of yours tho and the way you probably sit/work at it... it's just plain horrible and begs for serious health issues.

Edited by Narcosis

First, in my experience, chair width, chair height, and what type of chair make a difference.  In my personal case, chair weight limits also make a difference (name a popular chair, and it will probably break if I sit in it for more than a few hours).

First, high-back is an absolute necessity if you have back problems, as is lumbar support.  You might not realize it, but sitting in any chair where the back stops short of your shoulder-blades makes your muscles tense subconsciously.  At work, you are inevitably leaning forward somewhat, so this isn't as much of an issue, but at home, when you are relaxing, it is. 

Personally, when I was at a lower weight, I found that I was at my best in La-Z-Boy computer chairs (not the Amazon contracted-out knock-offs, but the factory-direct ones from that actual company).  However, La-Z-Boy stopped producing them years ago, so that's out. 

There are chairs out there that are really easy on the butt, but most of them are horrible for the back... so your best option is finding a nice pillow for your ass.  It took a while, but I found a nice pad that makes my beaten-up computer chair much more comfortable...

Finding 'the chair that has everything' is a search that can take weeks, and most chair reviews are total BS, because of companies deliberately abusing the system. 

Chair width makes a difference regardless of your size.  Not being able to put your arms on the arm rests is bad, and having a too-narrow space between the arm rests can lead to circulation problems in larger men.  If the chair is too tall, it strains your knees, but if it is too short, it strains your back (note: knees should be level with your hips or either slightly above or below, depending on your comfort zone). 

Lumbar support... makes a long-term difference for those of us that spend a lot of time sitting.

1 hour ago, 1P1A said:

Invest in a DXRacer chair with a lumbar and neck pillow. They are expensive, but absolutely worth it.

61fqnxNah5L._SY550_.jpg

Rahter than a dx racer go for a vertagear triigger 350 with the nek rest.

Triigger350SE-Red-alt_grande.jpg?v=15070

Main_207683ff-4971-428f-871d-7eb43c70a72

as for the desk, yeah that looks to me like pretty uncomfortable position. you might want to look at a height adjustable one withy a bit more depth to it.

The ones from ikea seem decent.

But if you really want to go all out, i would look for a used office desk, cheap high and usually bhigh quality.

this is the one i have, cost me less than 170 euro. (about 200 dollar, i think)

Size is 160*180*80 but the maximum depth is more like 130

dsc08523_800x476_.jpg

7 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

the bekant series, good depth at 80 cm, and height adjustable. Not to expensive either.

I would suggest to go for one that is at least 160cm long because you do want desk space.

Other than that, it really comes down to preference, whether you want a straight one or a corner one.

But know that the corner of the ikea desks does not give you much extra space so a simple straight one might be best.

of course this is all one the basis that it fits in the room you want to put it in.

13 hours ago, 1P1A said:

Invest in a DXRacer chair with a lumbar and neck pillow. They are expensive, but absolutely worth it.

61fqnxNah5L._SY550_.jpg

I had to return mine when I found out the weight limit and width numbers were lies.  The 440 lbs version is only 20 inches inside the arms (despite advertising 23) and can only hold up to 280 lbs.  I found it hilarious that they thought I wouldn't send it straight back after everything important to me in the online page was a lie...

11 hours ago, Clephas said:

I had to return mine when I found out the weight limit and width numbers were lies.  The 440 lbs version is only 20 inches inside the arms (despite advertising 23) and can only hold up to 280 lbs.  I found it hilarious that they thought I wouldn't send it straight back after everything important to me in the online page was a lie...

Shh, you weren't supposed to measure it!!!

Jokes aside, that really sucks. I hope they at least covered all the shipping costs.

I love mine, and it's easily in my top 5 best investments I've made in my life so far, but I suppose it's not for everyone.

1 hour ago, 1P1A said:

Shh, you weren't supposed to measure it!!!

Jokes aside, that really sucks. I hope they at least covered all the shipping costs.

I love mine, and it's easily in my top 5 best investments I've made in my life so far, but I suppose it's not for everyone.

I threatened to sue, so I got it back.