First visual novel you played + when did you read it + how you went about reading it

Inorin

About your first visual novel  

54 members have voted

1. 1. First visual novel

• Katawa Shoujo
    • Doki Doki Literature Club
    • Gyakuten Saiban/ Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright
    • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
    • 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
    • Ever 17
    • Fata Morgana no Yakata
    • Higurashi
    • Umineko
    • Grisaia no Kajitsu
    • G-senjou no Maou
    • Saya no Uta
    • Clannad
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Steins Gate
    • Narcissu
    • Planetarian
    • Kono Oozora ni
    • Others (Please specify)
  2. 2. When did you read that particular visual novel?

My first VN was Yume Miru Kusuri. I found a Peach Princess copy in a thrift store, and the guy selling it was like "Hey man that has sex in it I hope you're okay with that." I thought nothing of it. I installed it on my computer, and I was hooked about thirty minutes in. That was back in 2009.

For anybody curious, my second VN was Dual Phase. I, uh... no comment. But I do really like nukige now.

The first VN I read was Katawa Shoujo in 2015. This was somewhat of an eye-opener to me as I never thought I could enjoy a medium like VNs (in fact I do not even think I had heard of anime or VNs at the time). This in turn made me interested in checking out anime, but so far I have yet to really get into anime despite looking at various series, I guess it just is not suited for me. 

12 minutes ago, Toranth said:

Cobra Mission in 1994, followed by Knights of Xentar in 1995.  Amy's Fantasies, Seasons of the Sakura, Divi-Dead, Nocturnal Illusion, Runaway City, Desire, True Love... all the classics.

First Japanese language VN was Kanon in 1999.

Get this man/woman a damn medal.

My first VN Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President probably around 2014 or 2015 I think damn where windows 8 release time at first I can't play it. Need wait until windows 8 patch... :rubycry:
But well in my opinion this VN really good....
I died at first choice :Kappa:

Edited by Skypie

Seasons of the Sakura, Runaway City and other '90s "hentai games" (that's what they were called back then at least in italian forums) in the earlies 2000s.
Tried random Vns here and then (inclluding obviously Katawa Shoujo) in the following years, but didn't really get into the scene until I've read Steins;Gate in 2016.

Edited by Frullo NDE

• 1 month later...

For me it was True Love Jun'ai Monogatari - somewhere around 2001 I think. I managed to finish it using walkthrough. I didn't know back then the term "VN" - that was, as Frullo NDE pointed out - "dating sim" or "hentai game". I also remember Nocturnal Illusion, Three sisters story and Fatal Relations from that time, but never finished them - they were too convoluted or too long for horny teenager ;).

Then, last year, "one thing led to another" ;) (flash h-games >> some rather bad OELVNs like "No One but You", some Dharker titles or - heaven forbid! - Sakura Swim Club :o >>) and I landed on  Dal Segno, which I consider first "proper" VN I read - and I got hooked.

Edited by adamstan

A friend I had back then lent me a copy of "Divi-Dead". That was the first time I played something VN, but I didn't know what a VN was (I went by "anime game"), nor did I know how VNs worked, so I got random endings.

Then some years later, I was bored and decided to check out a game, "Shira Oka Second Chances". That was my first official VN, followed by things like DeIz (Mike Einel), Ori, Ochi, Onoe, and Katawa Shoujo. This was when VNs were blooming in the West, so I knew what was on my hands.

I also played Knights of Xentar in the halcyon days (that was pretty infamous).

Edited by Okarin

10 hours ago, adamstan said:

For me it was True Love Jun'ai Monogatari - somewhere around 2001 I think. I managed to finish it using walkthrough. I didn't know back then the term "VN" - that was, as Frullo NDE pointed out - "dating sim" or "hentai game". I also remember Nocturnal Illusion, Three sisters story and Fatal Relations from that time, but never finished them - they were too convoluted or too long for horny teenager ;).

Same here, in about 1998. I still have fond memories of True Love '95 as it was called back then, and play it every few years just for nostalgic value. I remember all those older games too and played them through religiously, though I'm not sure I ever unlocked everything except for True Love. I played every single English translated VN/dating sim available back then so all the VGA classics. Walkthroughs were hard to come by back then. The concept of unlocking everything didn't come till about mid 2000s to me. By the latter half of the 2000s I finally fell off the curve, unable to keep up with English translated releases and had moved to native Japanese ones so the sheer number available made it overwhelming, just at about the same time I dramatically decreased the number I played. Nowadays I only get to play 3 or 4 a year. Having a full life with career, family, kids etc. made it a relatively low priority but I never lost the love for them.

On 29/03/2018 at 5:39 AM, Toranth said:

Cobra Mission in 1994, followed by Knights of Xentar in 1995.  Amy's Fantasies, Seasons of the Sakura, Divi-Dead, Nocturnal Illusion, Runaway City, Desire, True Love... all the classics.

First Japanese language VN was Kanon in 1999.

Ho boy, someone who predates me; I wonder if you're as old as I am. They be some mighty fine classics you list there.

I don't remember what my true 'first' was- I do distinctly remember downloading a ROM of Pia Carrot 3.3 and desperately mashing through the Japanese dialogue in hope of seeing some anime boobs because I was a stupid horny teen. I think that was somewhere around 2004 or so? I've been aware of them since the early 2000's, at least.

I'd consider my 'first' (in that it hooked me on the medium) to be Katawa Shoujo, back when the first act was released in 2009. Not very surprising or original, I guess.

Edited by Pomelo

My first visual novel is technically Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I think I started playing it at around 2006-2007.

I was only interested in that game because it had an appealing story behind it. I didn't know what VNs was at the time and I didn't care much for it either. I was more of a console gamer during that time since I rarely used the PC to do things besides doing homework.

My true love for VNs didn't come until 2010 when I first played the Story Mode for Blazblue: Calamity Trigger. It was so fucking excellent and well-presented (not to mention it had fantastic English voices too) that I decided to look into VNs even more after that.

Edited by jetpack003

First VN was Phoenix Wright. At that point, I didnt know i was playing a visual novel. For me it was just a point and click game( sort of) .

The first vn i played that i thought was a visual novel was fate/stay night. Kept seeing "play the game instead" "anime's bad" (this was before the ubw adaptation). Downloaded it and kept playing it straight for a week . Fell in love with the genre right there.