First visual novel you played + when did you read it + how you went about reading it

Inorin

About your first visual novel  

54 members have voted

1. 1. First visual novel

• Katawa Shoujo
    • Doki Doki Literature Club
    • Gyakuten Saiban/ Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright
    • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
    • 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
    • Ever 17
    • Fata Morgana no Yakata
    • Higurashi
    • Umineko
    • Grisaia no Kajitsu
    • G-senjou no Maou
    • Saya no Uta
    • Clannad
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Steins Gate
    • Narcissu
    • Planetarian
    • Kono Oozora ni
    • Others (Please specify)
  2. 2. When did you read that particular visual novel?

My first visual novel was Gyakuten Saiban and started playing it in 2015. I got to know it simply because I was bored with constantly playing Pokemon on my Nintendo DS so I decided to try my hands on a new DS game. Initially, it was supposed to be a one-off thing but it escalated to me playing the sequels to it. Afterwards I played Danganronpa before moving on to Zero Escape and I've not looked back since.

Edited by wei123

Technically my first was "Let's Meow Meow" (cringe) first back in 2000s, but that was because I was a horny 13 yr old rather than a legitimate VN fan.  I only really started reading in 2017, with Doki Doki as the first and Fata Morgana as the second.  Doki Doki is very short so I just read it in one day, but I actually thought it was just decent but not great.  But it was good enough to generate some VN interest in me to where I read Fata Morgana, which is my favorite VN so far.

Edited by PiggiesGoMoo

My first VN was Nisekoi: Yomeiri!? , which is where my profile photo is from. I started getting into VNs because I figured that it would be a great way to improve my japanese and there were VNs based on anime that I liked. I do occationally read VNs in japanese though the ones based on anime are the only ones I have played so far. I also tried to read some nukige in japanese though my slow reading speed ruined the scenes so I will return to them once I have goten better. Most of what I have read and is currently reading is official english releases and while I plan on learning japanese I really like that so many VNs are getting official releases, since it makes it easier for me to get them (I like physical copies) as well as removal of mosaic censorship.

Well, I already answered that question in the two threads mentioned above. My first "real" VN was Rewrite in 2013. I was a massive keyfag back then, and when I ran out of their anime to watch, I decided to read the VNs that didn't have adaptations back then. Though I entered this as my answer, technically it was only a second VN I read. The real first VN for me was very short, and it doesn't even have a vndb page.

Technically it was BlazBlue, but I didn't read the story at all on my initial play-through, and it wasn't until 2016 that I approached it as a VN. It was Summer 2012 that I experienced my first proper VN with Little Busters. What sparked my initial interest in the game was the news post on MAL announcing the anime adaption of the VN. As I was a bit of a Key fan at the time, the post had sparked my interest in the source material, and I decided to give the medium a try for the first time.

My first Visual Novel I ever read was Little Busters! done by Key and Visual Arts, which was in 2012, To me it had a rich story with memorable characters. In my experience with LB!, I laughed and I cried when the VN came to a complete end. It was one of those VNs that made me wish it could go one forever. I'm currently replaying it on the Steam Version.

Grisaia no kajitsu, which i found very entertaining. Back then i only consumed few anime series and manga and was always fond to reading books. So VNs gave me a format in which i could enjoy of a story with a level of detail similar to the books, with the aditional features of anime characters and humor.

Started with Grisaia no Kajitsu around April/May last year. Half came for the hentai, but stayed for the awesome cast (especially ChiruChiru), the music, and the serious feels.

Have pretty much just binged VN's ever since....

CLANNAD is my first Visual Novel. The reason I started play Visual Novel this Two years Because of that. I really enjoy it,  " wow,  besides Nagisa, I can get ending with different heroine ! " that's what I thinking at  the first time (LoL how innocent I am that days ) .

I love Original Works than adaptation in general. so I starting play Visual novel has same reason why I more prefer for read Manga and Light Novel. 

Well like PiggiesGoMoo I'm going to openly admit I entered the world of VNs via Gibo in 2004/05 when I went to University. I went through my fair share of 'dodgey' VNs always returning to Gibo amendment that I would make the right choices to have both the step sister and step mother, but alas I never did. I'm not so much ashamed but wish I hadn't spent quite so much time on Hongfire being corrupted all those years ago...

I would say I legitimately got back into VNs with Fate Stay Night after watching FSN Zero around 2012, the release of this series reignited the bashing of the old FSN Deen adaptation on ANIDB so I gave the VN a go, and I'm so glad I did! 

But my constant reading only really took of in 2016 when I finally got myself a Windows Tablet. Nothing better than reading on a sofa! :maple:

2 hours ago, Clephas said:

About the time I entered, you'll find that most people either started with Type-Moon or Key VNs... because those were the best translated ones at the time (in some ways, they still are).

I remember that when i first glimpsed at the english VN community in 2008, the only popular stuff outside of those two companies was Kana Little Sister, Yumi Miru Kusuri and Ever17.

Edited by onorub

Technically the first visual novels I've ever read were the Ace Attorney series (started with the third one cause I was a big baller), but I didn't know what visual novels were at the time.

My first "dating sim" would be some Naruto flash game where you play as Sakura. No idea it had H-scenes either.

And the real first "visual novel" would be, surprise surprise, Katawa Shoujo. Read it completely blind.