I'm looking for a story VN, but sometimes I feel like the hentai VNs are written better than "story" VNs, recommend me a well written story

MegaHP3

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

I honestly have no clue how long it took since it was ages ago, but it's definitely a long common route. Even only half or whatever of grisaia length is pretty long by normal standards. I recommend re-reading the first post, you seem confused as to the purpose of the thread

If you mean the topic of the thread, I did not misunderstand. I also had already read through the 1st post by the thread starter. I simply post to help to clarify that Rewrite does not have a long common route. That's all~~

Edited: Ok sorry, my fault. Perhaps the words I used gave off the wrong impression in my earlier post :)

Edited: Realised I dug myself into a hole. Will refrain from commenting on the length of Rewrite form now on...

Edited by phantomJS

Yeah, according to VNDB its Long Common Route tag is massively upvoted. So it's definitely a long common route by pretty much everyone's standards.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, SeniorBlitz said:

I'd recommend Planetarian, YU-NO, Sweet Pool has a really grim story (BL warning though), someone already recommended Ever 17 só I'll add Never 7 (Lots of SoL in the Common route) and Remember 11, I/O, Swan Song, Shizuku, Subarashiki...

I read YU-NO. I have to say the first half was quite the chore, but the second half when he gets transported to the other side gets really fucking interesting. Things get really fantastical in that half, concepts get introduced, aging factor, and a lot of things about how that world is run. I love it, I love how the game managed to make a character that doesn't utter 5 sentences seem MUCH more likeable than mopey, sulky, or dunce characters with hundreds of lines of dialogue. Just my damn thing, even the protagonist gets a ton of character development, outside of the sex scenes that is lol. There was a sense of wonder, and intrigue that just kept me entertained. I am honestly satisfied with it.

Edited by MegaHP3

1 hour ago, MegaHP3 said:

Yeah, according to VNDB its Long Common Route tag is massively upvoted. So it's definitely a long common route by pretty much everyone's standards.

Depends on what's your definition on 'long' is. It's common route is definitely not as long as the ones I mentioned.

You should avoid rewrite anyway. The story is quite convoluted, arguably not very well written, and at the very least definitely not to everyone's taste.

Edited by phantomJS

4 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Depends on what's your definition on 'long's is. It's common route is definitely not as long as the ones I mentioned.

You should avoid rewrite anyway. The story is quite convoluted, arguably not very well written, and at the very least definitely not to everyone's taste.

Hey, it seems like people have lists on VNDB. Can I see yours for inspiration?

33 minutes ago, MegaHP3 said:

Hey, it seems like people have lists on VNDB. Can I see yours for inspiration?

The only one I know of is a list of VN that we can vote for and status on them (finished/dropped/stalled/playing)

My List

For your reference if case you are interested in this kind of list~~

Edited by phantomJS

Just now, phantomJS said:

The only one I know of is a list of VN that we can vote for and status on them (finished/dropped/stalled/playing)

www.vndb.org/u130224/list

For your reference~~

Heh, from what you said about Rewrite, I thought you didn't like it. But you have it highly voted. How come?

Also, you have read and voted Grisaia highly as well. I am sure I've read well into it. I dropped it around 600 years ago because at some point I couldn't just read anymore of it. Does it ever get interesting, and would I need to read 3 million hours to get to that point?

30 minutes ago, MegaHP3 said:

Heh, from what you said about Rewrite, I thought you didn't like it. But you have it highly voted. How come?

Also, you have read and voted Grisaia highly as well. I am sure I've read well into it. I dropped it around 600 years ago because at some point I couldn't just read anymore of it. Does it ever get interesting, and would I need to read 3 million hours to get to that point?

Rewrite has the best soundtrack I have heard out of all VN that I had played so far. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the story is very convoluted and quite a mess imo, but I enjoyed it and it was not boring for me to read through (I like this kind of messy stuff). If I remembered correctly, the different heroines routes are written by different authors and are of different genres. I think 3 of them (akane's, Chihaya's, and Lucia's) are pretty well done. I absolutely hated Kotori's route though because of it's ending. I recommended you avoid rewrite because you don't seem to like titles with long common routes, and the story can arguably be considered as not very well-written from certain perspectives.

For Grisaia, it has one of the best english translations of all time. The common route is interesting and is full of jokes, and thus, I never felt bored reading it (despite it being longer than Rewrite's). The heroines routes are damm good as well, and really gives you the 'feels', especially Sachi's and Amane's (Yumiko's route is kinda boring to me though). The music is pretty good as well.

So what did you not like about Grisaia?

Edited by phantomJS

31 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Rewrite has the best soundtrack I have heard out of all VN that I had played so far. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the story is very convoluted and quite a mess imo, but I enjoyed it and it was not boring for me to read through (I like this kind of messy stuff). If I remembered correctly, the different heroines routes are written by different authors and are of different genres. I think 3 of them (akane's, Chihaya's, and Lucia's) are pretty well done. I absolutely hated Kotori's route though because of it's ending. I recommended you avoid rewrite because you don't seem to like titles with long common routes, and the story can arguably be considered as not very well-written from certain perspectives.

For Grisaia, it has one of the best english translations of all time. The common route is interesting and is full of jokes, and thus, I never felt bored reading it (despite it being longer than Rewrite's). The heroines routes are damm good as well, and really gives you the 'feels', especially Sachi's and Amane's (Yumiko's route is kinda boring to me though). The music is pretty good as well.

So what did you not like about Grisaia?

Yeah, I didn't like Grisaia. I didn't read all of it, and I can't tell you exactly where I left it off. But I've read a few hours off of it, I felt the jokes bounced off the wall kind of boring, and honestly I don't like its sitcom kind of comedy. Humor is really subjective after all, so these are hit-or-miss. When I was reading it, I was trying really hard to stay focused. Honestly, in general I have a hard time focusing and remaining attentive so SoLs just lose me. That was before I started skipping reading like I did with Tiny Dungeon, and when I skipped there I honestly didn't feel lost, I felt rewarded for skipping so I stopped reading Tiny Dungeon. Maybe I can skip the common route in Grisaia too.

Edited by MegaHP3

28 minutes ago, MegaHP3 said:

Yeah, I didn't like Grisaia. I didn't read all of it, and I can't tell you exactly where I left it off. But I've read a few hours off of it, I felt the jokes bounced off the wall kind of boring, and honestly I don't like its sitcom kind of comedy. Humor is really subjective after all, so these are hit-or-miss. When I was reading it, I was trying really hard to stay focused. Honestly, in general I have a hard time focusing and remaining attentive so SoLs just lose me. That was before I started skipping reading like I did with Tiny Dungeon, and when I skipped there I honestly didn't feel lost, I felt rewarded for skipping so I stopped reading Tiny Dungeon. Maybe I can skip the common route in Grisaia too.

After seeing this and having read through the entire thread again, I think your taste is pretty sophisticated and I'm actually pretty much of my league to be recommending you something to read :P

That said, I somehow feel that this may be your cup of tea. Can give it a try if u like :)

Or perhaps just get this instead since you like the original game so much :P

Edited by phantomJS

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

After seeing this and having read through the entire thread again, I think your taste is pretty sophisticated and I'm actually pretty much of my league to be recommending you something to read :P

That said, I somehow feel that this may be your cup of tea. Can give it a try if u like :)

Or perhaps just get this instead since you like the original game so much :P

I actually played Sideboob Story, again but this time in English. It's just my game, I played all the games in that series. 1-3, and all the If games. I liiiiike them a lot, third game didn't have the quality of the first 2, but it blew them away in terms of world building. I'm waiting for the 3 If's new side story. 

On 26/3/2018 at 5:38 AM, MegaHP3 said:

Please recommend me a story, great build up, and pay off. I'm sorry for the wall of text. But I wanted to explain why I dislike SoL VNs before asking for a recommendation. I don't mind Japanese.

Have you tried Nanairo Reincarnation ? I picked it due to the art style (which I truly loved), but got impressed with the story (then again, it wasn't the main reason for which I bought it).

Just keep in mind that I don't think all the characters in there are fully covered as in Kyonyuu Fantasy.

Edited by きょうすけ

On 4/4/2561 at 6:58 AM, MegaHP3 said:

I read a little bit on this actually. I've seen someone who has played only 2 episodes out of the 8 episodes, and he said they're boring. In the comments of that thread, people were saying the first 10 hours are nothing, and you can't judge the series based on that. But I don't want to read for 10+ hours of something boring and only then can I maybe see if I'll enjoy it or not.

I don't think you should judge the whole VN for someone saying something is boring. Anything can be boring for someone and entertaining to some if they're interested in the subject that VN focused with. As someone who also love Fata Morgana to. I personally enjoy almost every of second of the whole Umineko despite it being very long. Admitted it have some slow-paced part but after finished the whole 8 episodes. It pretty damn worth it.

Edited by Homufate