I'm looking for a story VN, but sometimes I feel like the hentai VNs are written better than "story" VNs, recommend me a well written story

MegaHP3

Ever since I've read Fata Morgana over a year ago, I've been trying to find my love with this genre. I did manage to find it in some games that I'll mention below. But everytime I look for recommendations around here, or on r/VN, I feel like people are trolling eachother in their VN recommendations. Lots of games with infinite routes, filled with boring sitcom segments thrown at you for endless amount of hours for sake of filling up hours, the story being forgotten for long stretches of time. I'm reading Tiny Dungeon Black and White, and I'm trying to find the point in all of these hours of dialogue. At one point I skipped hours of text, and I didn't feel like I lost grip on the story.

I'm looking for games where I feel what I'm reading is actually a conversation that progresses something, instead of throwaway badly written dialogue that will just lead up to a very badly written hentai "romantic" scene. I want to feel that there's a point to what I'm reading like you do in Fata Morgana. A set up for a greater plot-point, not a set back where the story is put on hold for boring stretches of time just to waste your time with hopeless "Slice of Life" segments. I feel like my tolerance for these segments gets lower, and lower because I don't see any payoff.

At some points, I find myself finding 18+ ero games to have more story depth in them. Here are some games I found that to be true in, there are VNs have storytelling great its horrifying. 

Look at Maro no Kenja Gatenkei. At the end of the third game, it turns into a story of self-sacrifice, selflessness and an endless reservoir of unconditional love for a victim of circumstance. It broke my heart, I cried over it, and even the day to day activities were filled with love, tension and just great atmosphere between the characters.

Kuroyuri, how a sadistic princess's goal of maintaining the status quo. Her power have led her to doing unfathomable things whether directly, or indirectly. Many of her actions had great consequences on people around her, her manipulation wasn't left unanswered. She had great sympathy for people who were left in her exact same situation, even going very, very far trying to "save" them which might lead up to saving herself.

Imouto ~Mitsutsubo, a great story of  love gone, perhaps too far, abandonment, and just tackling the taboo subject of incest appropriately while admitting to how wrong it is. How it affected everyone involved, how crazy it is.

Kyonyuu Fantasy, the game that turned out to have more story, depth to its characters, heroines than most "story" based VNs. These games made were truly worth playing. loved every second of them.

Please recommend me a story, great build up, and pay off. I'm sorry for the wall of text. But I wanted to explain why I dislike SoL VNs before asking for a recommendation. I don't mind Japanese.

Edited by MegaHP3

1 minute ago, Zakamutt said:

Lynne, 私は今日ここで死にます, 死埋葬, 999, Saya no Uta, Narcissu, スキトキメキトキス.

Really though you're probably in the wrong medium

Looking at some of these. There are REALLY, REALLY grim choices to take in here. It's my cup of tea, I love these stories. But I just finished one, and I have filled my monthly quota of them. Any more, I'll probably get dysfunctionally depressed. (Cried so much today) I like that some of these are Yuri. I feel like Japan handles homosexuality the best. I'm from Saudi Arabia, so I find the subject of homosexuality intriguing since I never met one who openly admitted to being one. How's 死埋葬, though? Thank you for the recommendations. These seem interesting.

Imo, Ever17 is one of the best plotges out there. While the pacing may be slow at the start, it pays off when you get to the True End. The Zero Escape series, which somewhat follows the concept of Ever17, is also a pretty good ploge

Edited by wei123

Hmmm, OELVNs are usually much shorter than Japanese ones and can be pretty to-the-point. Try CUPID for example, or Doki Doki Literature Club even. 

When it goes to Western yuri, Love Ribbon and Highway Blossoms are short and well-paced, but the second one is still very much a Slice-of-Life story. 

Maybe you would also like games by the Innocent Gray studio, especially Kara no Shoujo series? They usually have their share of slower moments, but I don't think they ever waste the player's time with pointless fluff.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

8 hours ago, MegaHP3 said:

Looking at some of these. There are REALLY, REALLY grim choices to take in here. It's my cup of tea, I love these stories. But I just finished one, and I have filled my monthly quota of them. Any more, I'll probably get dysfunctionally depressed. (Cried so much today) I like that some of these are Yuri. I feel like Japan handles homosexuality the best. I'm from Saudi Arabia, so I find the subject of homosexuality intriguing since I never met one who openly admitted to being one. How's 死埋葬, though? Thank you for the recommendations. These seem interesting.

死埋葬 is definitely pretty dark. It's kind of this weird depressed slew of horrible things and evil horrible people and circumstances, where the only real light is from your girlfriend. The few moments of warmth she brings you are all the brighter for it. Well, Your girlfriend might also be in trouble sometimes. Also, there's a character that basically exists to be edgy. No real spoiler in this but I figure not everyone will want to read the japanese text :P

27SoSHL.jpg

I'd recommend Planetarian, YU-NO, Sweet Pool has a really grim story (BL warning though), someone already recommended Ever 17 só I'll add Never 7 (Lots of SoL in the Common route) and Remember 11, I/O, Swan Song, Shizuku, Subarashiki...

14 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

Once again, Fata Morgana proves why 99% of VNs are dog shit. 

*smiles dryly* more like that he has a low moe-tolerance.  Considering his reaction to the SOL scenes in Tiny Dungeon, he probably won't like ninety-percent of all non-nukige Japanese VNs. 

On 3/26/2018 at 12:38 PM, wei123 said:

Imo, Ever17 is one of the best plotges out there. While the pacing may be slow at the start, it pays off when you get to the True End.

It's a pain to play through for me as in order to get the true ending, you have to play through all the routes which are nearly identical to each other other than different (and very little) pieces of the plot being revealed. I gave up half way and just youtube-ed the true ending

Edited by phantomJS

Try danganronpa. The SoL scenes are very, very short. There is probably less SoL in danganronpa than in Fata Morgana.

I can't believe some people here recommended VNs like Ever17 and Little Busters. Those seem like the exact opposite of what OP is asking for.  Ever17 even makes you repeat SoL scenes between different routes with slight variations, on top of having long SoL scenes to begin with.  

On 3/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, MegaHP3 said:

Kyonyuu Fantasy, the game that turned out to have more story, depth to its characters, heroines than most "story" based VNs. These games made were truly worth playing. loved every second of them.

English version of the sidestory is released . Fyi, in case you didn't know and since you liked the original title.

Though, despite what you said, this, and the original game, still look like mainly fap material to me (and all the boobs lovers out there) :nokia:

Edited by phantomJS

On 3/27/2018 at 4:10 AM, solidbatman said:

Once again, Fata Morgana proves why 99% of VNs are dog shit. 

What games are in the 1% that you liked? 

On 3/30/2018 at 4:59 AM, phantomJS said:

It's a pain to play through for me as in order to get the true ending, you have to play through all the routes which are nearly identical to each other other than different (and very little) pieces of the plot being revealed. I gave up half way and just youtube-ed the true ending

Hoof, that's definitely something that's gonna drive me off. Definitely not gonna check that one...

On 3/31/2018 at 3:45 PM, PiggiesGoMoo said:

Try danganronpa. The SoL scenes are very, very short. There is probably less SoL in danganronpa than in Fata Morgana.

I can't believe some people here recommended VNs like Ever17 and Little Busters. Those seem like the exact opposite of what OP is asking for.  Ever17 even makes you repeat SoL scenes between different routes with slight variations, on top of having long SoL scenes to begin with.  

Ever17 and Little Busters are definitely not something I'm ever going to read based on that. Thanks for the warning, you saved me buddy. 

Also, on Danganronpa, I actually watched the first two games on youtube I think they're handheld right? Incredible games, and stories, god bless them. But I haven't read the third seen the third one, people seem to not like it as much. What are your thoughts?

On 3/27/2018 at 4:58 AM, onorub said:

If you liked the Maro Gatenkei series, i wonder if you'd like this one. (WARNING: I think someone on these forums got a panic attack over this VN or something, so only try it if you're ready for something heavy.)

Yeah, I'm not in the proper mentality to read something like that. I'll pass... I still want to live.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, Homufate said:

Umineko is probably closest VN to Fata Morgana out there. Also maybe try Saya no Uta and Higurashi.

I read a little bit on this actually. I've seen someone who has played only 2 episodes out of the 8 episodes, and he said they're boring. In the comments of that thread, people were saying the first 10 hours are nothing, and you can't judge the series based on that. But I don't want to read for 10+ hours of something boring and only then can I maybe see if I'll enjoy it or not.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, Sonicboom2.0 said:

If you like story driven VNs then I'd recommend Little Busters! English Edition and Rewrite. Key/Visual Arts make amazing VNs and I recommend it to all my friends that want to get into VNs.

Read a little about Rewrite, apparently its the kind of game I'd never like to go anywhere near. People are saying it is a long common route game, in which that common route consists of mind numbingly boring "SoL".

47 minutes ago, MegaHP3 said:

Also, on Danganronpa, I actually watched the first two games on youtube I think they're handheld right? Incredible games, and stories, god bless them. But I haven't read the third seen the third one, people seem to not like it as much. What are your thoughts?

I've only played the first, on PC. 

You could also try ace attorney

Do you have a VNDB, just to make sure I'm not recommending things you've already played?

Anyway, a selection of games I enjoyed quite a bit which I consider to have good plot:

They're all very different games. Demonbane can be a little intense at times, but it's also very silly a lot of the time. Gahkthun is part of the excellent Steampunk Series. It's not my favorite, but it is the only one with an official translation (and also, not coincidentally, the only one with a decent translation). Deardrops has a fair bit of downtime, but the main plot is excellent, and it's a lot more lighthearted than the rest of these (or most of what I see other people recommending).

I'll also add another plug for Saya no Uta. It's all intense, all the time, but it's beautiful and terrifying and wonderful.

3 hours ago, MegaHP3 said:

Read a little about Rewrite, apparently its the kind of game I'd never like to go anywhere near. People are saying it is a long common route game, in which that common route consists of mind numbingly boring "SoL".

Personally, I don't think so. Rewrite's common route is nowhere near as long as VNs such as IMHHW, Princess Evangile, or Grisaia no Kajitsu

Edited by phantomJS
Wrong and strong choice of word chosen. Edited

1 minute ago, Zakamutt said:

^It's still like 15 hours though lol

You seriously took 15 hours to get through the common route??

It didn't even take me that amount of time to get through the common route in princess evangile, which has a far longer common route O.O.....

7 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

You seriously took 15 hours to get through the common route??

It didn't even take me that amount of time to get through the common route in princess evangile, which has a far longer common route O.O.....

I honestly have no clue how long it took since it was ages ago, but it's definitely a long common route. Even only half or whatever of grisaia length is pretty long by normal standards. I recommend re-reading the first post, you seem confused as to the purpose of the thread