• Kanon
    • Angel Beats
    • AIR
    • Planetarian ~Chiisana Hoshi no Yume~
    • Little Busters !
    • Rewrite
    • Harmonia
    • Others /Etc

I would say either Planetarian or Little Busters as I haven't yet red Air or Harmonia and admittedly for Kanon the 2006 version of the anime is much much better. Rewrite is good too but in terms of Key works seems to come out of left field, being very very different from the rest of their works.

From the ones i've played (order of recommendation, most to least):

Little Busters is the closest to Clannad in both route structure and storytelling.
Rewrite has similar route structure, but different storytelling.
Planetarian is different in both structure (no choices) and in storytelling.
Air has simpler route structure and similar storytelling.
Kanon is the same as Air, except the route structure is even simpler (no unlockables).

As for KEY's VNs, I think it's tried to make the reader sympathized with the girls before gave them some backstory. Most of those were the illness, so much that fans joke KEY AIDS because KEY repeatedly use Ill Girl trope in their VNs. As for the overall company, I guess they play safe for both of Little Busters and Clannad, because they included the unlockable happy ending in which some fans may not appreciated that (Solidbatman included). The reason for that was probably because Jun Maeda did get some flak from Japanese fan in regard of AIR ending, and I think he did tried to include happy ending to avoid the flak - just my guess though.

For the recommendation, I think it'll depend on your taste on Clannad. If you prefer happy ending from Clannad, then I would say Little Busters and Kanon would be fitting for you. However if you prefer sad ending, then both of AIR and Planetarian would be good for you. As for Rewrite, I think it's quite experimental considering that it try many new things which is very different from past KEY VNs. In the end, what I can recommend for now is Planetarian because it was the shortest out of remaining KEY VNs, and beware though that Planetarian ending might be sad for you.

If you liked Clannad, then go for Planetarian. Like what the others said, the story is really good, but more importantly, I think it has a similar feel to most of their other games.

If you want to experience something different, you should try rewrite. This VN is very convoluted (so much so, that at times, I feel the game is confused by it's own plot, especially during the moon arc). The music (as expected) is very good, though, and more importantly, I never got bored reading it til the end.

Should definitely be on your consideration list :)

Edited by phantomJS