Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi No Translation Project (Completed)

15 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Ittaku doesn't want to do all the work on this project (like he did with Clover Days), so that's why we're looking for another translator.

Yeah, I think he already did a lot for this community. Making him do one whole translation again, and of such great length would be too much. I hope somebody volunteers, but I know it's hard to find anybody who would be interested, and especially of a VN that has so many lines. I consider even 7.5k a lot, much less to speak of 100k.

4 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, I think he already did a lot for this community. Making him do one whole translation again, and of such great length would be too much. I hope somebody volunteers, but I know it's hard to find anybody who would be interested, and especially of a VN that has so many lines. I consider even 7.5k a lot, much less to speak of 100k.

Believe me. I've been figuring that out a lot as of late. :marie:

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

https://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=VN/Eroge_Scriptsizes

Is the number here accurate? It says Haruka ni Aogi has almost 116k of lines?! It's even longer than I remembered it!

Seems like it. I should probably put that in the recruitment section, even if it'll scare away a lot of potential candidates.

11 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Seems like it. I should probably put that in the recruitment section, even if it'll scare away a lot of potential candidates.

Yeah, I know. It's kinda scary. I think this is the longest VN developed by Pulltop... For references, full Miagete Goran has "only" 45k of lines in comparison. So this is like more than 2 times bigger a VN than Miagete... I dread to imagine how long would it take it for me to read it. I think this is Dies irae level of text (though I am not sure how many lines Dies irae had).

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, I know. It's kinda scary. I think this is the longest VN developed by Pulltop... For references, full Miagete Goran has "only" 45k of lines in comparison. So this is like more than 2 times bigger a VN than Miagete... I dread to imagine how long would it take it for me to read it. I think this is Dies irae level of text (though I am not sure how many lines Dies irae had).

Well, it'll definitely be a longer project, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Well, it'll definitely be a longer project, that's for sure.

In any case, I wish you guys luck. It's definitely a good project to do, and a good VN at that. By the way, I think I know somebody who "maybe" is interested in helping you guys out (if I am not making a wrong assumption that is...) ... I don't know whether you know it already, but I saw this guy here named Beichuuka talking about doing something related to Haruka ni Aogi already. If you hadn't already, maybe you should contact him to see if it was just trolling or not. I am not saying he was TLing or anything, but maybe he was. I remembered this thread when I saw the project page of yours.

1 minute ago, Infernoplex said:

In any case, I wish you guys luck. It's definitely a good project to do, and a good VN at that. By the way, I think I know somebody who "maybe" is interested in helping you guys out (if I am not making a wrong assumption that is...) ... I don't know whether you know it already, but I saw this guy here named Beichuuka talking about doing something related to Haruka ni Aogi already. If you hadn't already, maybe you should contact him to see if it was just trolling or not. I am not saying he was TLing or anything, but maybe he was. I remembered this thread when I saw the project page of yours.

I already tried that route, but he didn't pass the TL test I've given out to candidates.

2 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

The heroine paths in this game are incredibly long and the common routes (there are two of them) are short.  This means you spend a lot of time with each individual heroine, which is a huge plus... but it also means that all the character development normally done in the common route gets done in the heroine routes.

12 hours ago, twisted said:

Since this is a Pulltop title isn't it at risk of getting DMCA'd?

Did they ever send DMCA for any of the other fan-translation projects before? The KonoSora retranslation didn't get it, at least, neither did Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort. I'm not sure if Pulltop are interested in localizing their earlier titles, though the possibility of getting DMCA obviously exists.

As for the project, good luck! I'm not particularly interested in this game, but I might check it out if this project succeeds.

24 minutes ago, Clephas said:

The heroine paths in this game are incredibly long and the common routes (there are two of them) are short.  This means you spend a lot of time with each individual heroine, which is a huge plus... but it also means that all the character development normally done in the common route gets done in the heroine routes.

That sounds interesting to be honest. I was never a fan of long common routes and then short heroine routes (makes it pretty anti-climatic). This might even be the best Pulltop VN if all the praise I have been hearing about it is warranted.

15 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Did they ever send DMCA for any of the other fan-translation projects before? The KonoSora retranslation didn't get it, at least, neither did Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort. I'm not sure if Pulltop are interested in localizing their earlier titles, though the possibility of getting DMCA obviously exists.

Same thing with my project. I wasn't sure should I go public but since I never saw Moenovel acting upon Konosora nor KoiRizo, I thought I might as well do it since they don't seem to care at all.

21 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

That sounds interesting to be honest. I was never a fan of long common routes and then short heroine routes (makes it pretty anti-climatic). This might even be the best Pulltop VN if all the praise I have been hearing about it is warranted.

It really is the best Pulltop VN, but that is at least in part because Pulltop VNs have been getting increasingly weaker as time has gone by... 

8 minutes ago, Clephas said:

It really is the best Pulltop VN, but that is at least in part because Pulltop VNs have been getting increasingly weaker as time has gone by... 

They released yunohana around that time too, so I say they're still the same mixed bag.

10 minutes ago, kokoro said:

They released yunohana around that time too, so I say they're still the same mixed bag.

Pulltop isn't good about retaining its good writers, so there is usually a huge gap between their good stuff and the rest...  the original Lovekami vs the newer ones is a perfect example.  Mitsurugi worked on both, but he was only the scenario writer in the original, lol.

4 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Actually I am able to do the whole translation, however I will NOT work without a translator that is better than me to translate check what I've done. Doing To Heart 2 without a checker was very soul destroying since I simply could not be sure that I got it all right. I'm a decent translator, but not professional quality, and two translators back to back checking over a script has a massive effect on accuracy. Back when I finished To Heart 2, I described my accuracy at the time as 95% literal accuracy, 85% nuance. 85% nuance isn't good enough for this game; it simply has to be over 95%. Even if there was another translator that could do 85% nuance, that would have made a massive difference because every translator has different areas they know well, and two 85% translators back to back ends up with about 98% accuracy. This is the main reason I want another translator. I don't want people reading the final translation and going "well he fucked that kamige up", and this game as you can see increasingly from those who read Japanese that are posting on this thread truly is god tier status. I'm confident in my writing skills which is why I feel up to doing this but I want the final version to be a solid representation of the original work so English writing and editing that looks fine but isn't entirely accurate isn't going to cut it.

6 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Actually I am able to do the whole translation, however I will NOT work without a translator that is better than me to translate check what I've done. Doing To Heart 2 without a checker was very soul destroying since I simply could not be sure that I got it all right. I'm a decent translator, but not professional quality, and two translators back to back checking over a script has a massive effect on accuracy. Back when I finished To Heart 2, I described my accuracy at the time as 95% literal accuracy, 85% nuance. 85% nuance isn't good enough for this game; it simply has to be over 95%. Even if there was another translator that could do 85% nuance, that would have made a massive difference because every translator has different areas they know well, and two 85% translators back to back ends up with about 98% accuracy. This is the main reason I want another translator. I don't want people reading the final translation and going "well he fucked that kamige up", and this game as you can see increasingly from those who read Japanese that are posting on this thread truly is god tier status. I'm confident in my writing skills which is why I feel up to doing this but I want the final version to be a solid representation of the original work so English writing and editing that looks fine but isn't entirely accurate isn't going to cut it.

He isn't wrong... if I had time, I could probably serve as the full TLC, but I have other obligations...  I can usually get 98% of all aspects, but I don't have the time for a full TLC anymore...

2 minutes ago, Clephas said:

He isn't wrong... if I had time, I could probably serve as the full TLC, but I have other obligations...  I can usually get 98% of all aspects, but I don't have the time for a full TLC anymore...

Thanks, and I was surprised you offered to help at all so we appreciate the gesture and provided the project goes ahead we'll definitely be relying on you to help us with the curlier parts of the translation checking. I wanted to both like and weep in response to that post but alas could only choose one :s

13 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Is it that hard? Wow.

Mad respects guys.

11 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I know what you are talking about... though, I don't measure fan-translation work and professional work in the same way. And this is coming from somebody who has started reading VNs when the translations weren't all that good to begin with... so you could say I am used to "not the best translations". Even the "kamige of all kamiges" - a.k.a. Fate/Stay Night supposedly had a poor TL (I still see nowadays people who are bashing TakaJun for his work on it), I didn't read it and I can't tell if it's as poor as people make it out to be. Though, I did read Cross Channel by Ixrec... and never felt like it was as bad as people claimed it out to be. In fact, I don't think my impression of Cross Channel would have changed any significantly, even if the TL of it was any better. That being said, I can't for the love of God complain about a fanTLer who isn't a professional writer himself to make a "literature-esque" translation. In fact, I think very few VNs can rank highly in this category. But I do understand and respect people who are trying to make their work stand out as really good. And I believe you are one of those rare few who really are critical of their own work, which is already worthy of respect. I don't know many people, especially not in the fanTL category who really look in their translation and always feel the need for improvement in writing. For that, I salute you, Sir!

1 minute ago, kokoro said:

Is it that hard? Wow.

Mad respects guys.

Something you have to keep in mind is that literal translation from Japanese to English is an oxymoron.  It is a lie new translators tell themselves, because they are unaware of just how different the roots and structure are from English.  Implied subjects, heavy reliance on context, complexity and subtlety of verb forms, kanji usage... these are all common structural elements that cause the internal inconsistencies that plague most translations/localizations.  Another problem is that loaded terms in Japanese are not always properly defined in the J to E dictionaries and textbooks.  There were long stretches of time in Japanese history where speaking in layers was the norm for those who did the writing, and the remnants of that exist heavily in the non-dialogue parts of even the least complex VNs... and even in the dialogue at times. 

In addition, the 'run-on sentence' isn't bad grammar in Japanese, if it is done right.  What is permissible and comprehensible in each language is fundamentally different.  While a skilled English writer can often get away with murder simply because his prose is beautiful, if not necessarily technically correct grammatically, translators are more restricted.  To be blunt, thinking up great prose when you are translating is virtually impossible (that is why editors exist).  The language interface between the two is clunky, even if you are good at it.  Unfortunately, when you are translating, it can be literally painful to tear apart a beautifully written line, full of abyssal depths of meaning, into several sentences in English... so you can end up with some seriously weird grammatical gymnastics coming out of translators at times born out of attempts to avoid doing so.