Things that you want to see less of in Visual Novels

Ranzo

I would like to see less situations where locking into a heroine's route means the complete removal off all the other heroines from the game for the duration of that route. The stories can be unique while still involving all of the characters...it would also make the routes for less-liked heroines more enjoyable imo because you'd still get unique interactions with the heroine(s) you are a fan of.

I'd also like less VNs that end right when you end up becoming intimate with a heroine. Less of, "we love each other, let's have sex, the end" situations and more VNs that go into what happens in later stages of relationships beyond when you start dating.

Oh...less moege high school VNs in general...for the love of god

Edited by skrewball717

4 minutes ago, skrewball717 said:

I would like to see less situations where locking into a heroine's route means the complete removal off all the other heroines from the game for the duration of that route.

This isn't the biggest issue in that regard. There are some VNs where the heroines needs to be rescued. When you enter a route, you save the heroine in question. Sounds strait forward and ok at first glance until you realize that it means not saving the other heroines and they end up in various bad situations. One example I saw at one point is a heroine, who is raped unless you pick her route, but if you pick it, two other heroines are raped. I don't really feel like making such a choice. I'm not too happy about heroines being raped either, optional or mandatory.

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

This isn't the biggest issue in that regard. There are some VNs where the heroines needs to be rescued. When you enter a route, you save the heroine in question. Sounds strait forward and ok at first glance until you realize that it means not saving the other heroines and they end up in various bad situations. One example I saw at one point is a heroine, who is raped unless you pick her route, but if you pick it, two other heroines are raped. I don't really feel like making such a choice. I'm not too happy about heroines being raped either, optional or mandatory.

I feel like that's a rather extreme example, but anyway the topic is things you want to see less of, not eliminated entirely from existence. So that is one such scenario where it would be fine leaving the lock in tact, thinking along the line of more SoL type games where it occurs.

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

That's why the original True Love '95 was such a legendary game - on a perfect playthrough you got to date every girl, save the idol from being kidnapped, discovered the catgirl, helped her ascend to heaven, fucked them all and still ended up with the best girl.

10 hours ago, Acrylic7 said:

I want to see less predictable ending. 

Ill expand a bit on that. When the hero or heroine somewhat likes a instrument or paintimg etc, you can bet you left ass cheek that the hero or heroine will leave for europe or us for like 4-8 years and then return. Some of the worst endings i know.

18 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Personally I think the execution of the cliche is the important thing, a cliche is not inherently bad, it just depends how well it is executed.

Exactly. Cliches aren't inherently bad as they're tropes that certain genres use. It's how writers execute them that matters the most.

The majority of Japanese-made otome games seem to have heroines in high school...I mean, okay, high school is kind of seen through rose-lenses there, but ffs, the majority of otome game players in JP (and here now) are older now. I want older heroines. College is acceptable, but workspace otome romances are also very much welcome. 

(this is why I'm designing my own game)

Voltage has some pretty good ones, as well as Solmare, but those haven't really made the transition from mobile to CPU yet. (then again, the majority of casual gamers don't really play on computer...)

8 minutes ago, milkteebaby said:

transition from mobile to CPU yet. (then again, the majority of casual gamers don't really play on computer...)

That sentence makes no sense in English due to a translation error. It's supposed to say "mobile to computer". CPU (central processing unit) is the piece of hardware, which is responsible for calculating numbers and there is at least one in every computer, smartphone, tablet and other stuff as well. I suspect the translation error is made when translating to Asian languages because I have seen it being used incorrectly in Japanese where it was supposed to be AI or "computer controlled player".

I know it's off topic, but I still want to point this out. It's one of those rather dangerous loan words, which means something completely different than the original language, which makes it way too easy to write something other than you intend.

11 minutes ago, tymmur said:

That sentence makes no sense in English due to a translation error. It's supposed to say "mobile to computer". CPU (central processing unit) is the piece of hardware, which is responsible for calculating numbers and there is at least one in every computer, smartphone, tablet and other stuff as well. I suspect the translation error is made when translating to Asian languages because I have seen it being used incorrectly in Japanese where it was supposed to be AI or "computer controlled player".

I know it's off topic, but I still want to point this out. It's one of those rather dangerous loan words, which means something completely different than the original language, which makes it way too easy to write so asmething other than you intend.

Well, thank you for the correction. I was under the assumption the reader would assume I was referring to computer, but I guess I was wrong :/ 

Fewer idol/singing/music playing heroines. They are all the same to me. They practice, get the protagonist to assist with the practice and then they end up on a stage. I don't care for any of those steps. It's not about titles such as Kira☆Kira (skip the VN if you don't like the setup), but rather titles where performing is not a theme, but it becomes that in one or more routes, meaning you get to want half the VN.

Few save slots. 

I like saving regularly and having only a few save slots is something I find a bit restrictive if I want to save for a scene that I like (but that wouldn't show up in the regular scene viewer), and this is more of an issue the longer the VN is. 

IMO 100+ save slots (or not giving a limit) would be fine and should really be mandatory.