Who are some good characters who got disappointing routes?

VirginSmasher

The title really says it all. What characters that you liked in their specific common routes ended up getting shafted in terms of writing in their routes? Here are some of mine

• Kaoru in Ayakashibito
  • Michiru and Miu in Chrono Clock (I enjoyed Miu's route, but the structure of the VN ruined her ending)
  • Rinne in Euphoria
  • Mizuha in G-Senjou no Maou 
  • Shizune in Katawa Shoujo
  • Chris in Majikoi
  • Margit in Majikoi S
  • Pretty much every side character I liked in Princess Evangile W/ Happiness
  • Mihiro in Wagamama High Spec

There are my choices. Now leave yours and we'll have some heated arguments discussion.

You didn't like Michiru's route o_O 
It was the best Route in Chrono Clock in my opinion followed by Kuro.

At first, where is my ILLYA route in Fate/stay night!!! I was really disappointed that she didn't get her own route:

Spoiler

snapshot_213.png

• Pretty much every route in Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki --> Each route starts good but the drama was forced and has no impact. I like Yuri but at the end her route was a little bit strange. 
  • Toa, Kaoruko and Mihiru in Wagamama High Spec --> Boring and Kaoruko was just annoying. Toa's route was good at the beginning but I didn't like the drama. Furthermore there are some plotholes in her route e.g. we never learned the truth, what exactly happened in the past between them and their parents.
  • Michiru in Grisaia no Kajitsu.
  • Shiratori Mizuha in G-senjou no Maou. I really like Mizuha but her route was lacking in many aspects. The romance wasn't good and the reason why she hates Kyouske so much... The story was obvious and just boring. I was really disappointed but I love her ending. 
  • Kouzuki Io in D.S. -Dal Segno-. At first I thought her route will be really good and I liked her at the beginning because of her chuunibyou syndrome. But her route was boring, the drama was obvious and at the end she was just annoying >.< 
Edited by -soraa

- Chaos Child: Pretty much every route aside from the initial glorious common route. Hinae and Nono's route were pretty decent, but the routes overall felt unnecessary and stitched on and didn't add much to the storytelling experience. 

- Rewrite: Shizuru's route was just awkward, yes one could say that about the entirety of this vn, but it felt like this route focused allot more on how Kotaru was a fuck up and less on their relationship. 

- Konosora: Ageha's route is the only case that I can think of in which the best girl in the game, was turned into the worst girl due to their route. She was just unnecessarily bitchy in her route, a contrast to the easy going personality she exhibited in the rest of the game. 

Kotori Kanbe from Rewrite

I think she was a really funny, well written character but I feel like she was really short changed by her route. I'd say she is definitely the best main girl that Key has ever designed. It was mostly a introductory route and it really had a abrupt ending. I think she deserved much better.

Mayuki from Comyu: She was initially my favorite of the Babylon bunch, but her route dragged forever, adds nothing to the plot and I liked way more when she was just friends with Akihito, but loli pandering ew.

Itsuki from Nurse Love: Okay, that one is totally my fault. I left her route for last expecting something amazing and it ended up being the weakest route of the game for me. In fact, that happens with every single "true route" that fails to meet my expectations (Itsuki's is not a true ending, but it's the same feeling).

19 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Kotori Kanbe from Rewrite

I think she was a really funny, well written character but I feel like she was really short changed by her route. I'd say she is definitely the best main girl that Key has ever designed. It was mostly a introductory route and it really had a abrupt ending. I think she deserved much better.

I actually enjoyed her route mostly because of just how out of left field it was. I was not expecting nearly anything in her route and found myself emotionally involved in it, which is more than I can say for most VNs. Then again, I failed to complete any other route in the game so its possible the rest were far better. 

41 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

I actually enjoyed her route mostly because of just how out of left field it was. I was not expecting nearly anything in her route and found myself emotionally involved in it, which is more than I can say for most VNs. Then again, I failed to complete any other route in the game so its possible the rest were far better. 

I think Lucia's and Akane's routes were the best ones in Rewrite in terms of story and pacing though Lucia's ending dragged on way to long.

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

- Chaos Child: Pretty much every route aside from the initial glorious common route. Hinae and Nono's route were pretty decent, but the routes overall felt unnecessary and stitched on and didn't add much to the storytelling experience. 

- Rewrite: Shizuru's route was just awkward, yes one could say that about the entirety of this vn, but it felt like this route focused allot more on how Kotaru was a fuck up and less on their relationship. 

- Konosora: Ageha's route is the only case that I can think of in which the best girl in the game, was turned into the worst girl due to their route. She was just unnecessarily bitchy in her route, a contrast to the easy going personality she exhibited in the rest of the game. 

Yeah Shizuru was another one who deserved a better route. It ended way to abruptly and the flash forward/flash back was pretty jarring and it really hampered my investment in her story.

53 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Mayuki from Comyu: She was initially my favorite of the Babylon bunch, but her route dragged forever, adds nothing to the plot and I liked way more when she was just friends with Akihito, but loli pandering ew.

Itsuki from Nurse Love: Okay, that one is totally my fault. I left her route for last expecting something amazing and it ended up being the weakest route of the game for me. In fact, that happens with every single "true route" that fails to meet my expectations (Itsuki's is not a true ending, but it's the same feeling).

That's what you get for dining and dashing Maggie:maple:

This post is officially the devil. THE END TIMES ARE APPROACHING!!!

Edited by Ranzo

Note: everything I write in this post is my personal opinion. And I know that in some cases it's not the most popular opinion. :leecher: I recognize that most of the routes I mentioned have some good points which, for various reasons, didn't really work for me, and, on the other hand, the flaws of these routes may not be so important or noticeable for other people. You've been warned.

• Shizuru, Rewrite. Shizuru was one of my favorite characters in the common route of Rewrite, but her route was kind of... random. Though I don't remember much of it at this point, I only remember that the first 2/3 of her route were pretty boring and lacked any real meaning. The last 1/3, on the other hand, was pretty great.
  • Sora, Ever17. Her route wasn't the worst thing ever, but was a bit pointless and was probably the worst in the game, which is a shame considering she was my favorite character at first (and the only one I didn't dislike at the beginning).
  • Sachi, Grisaia. Her character was great, her route was kind of boring. I don't really have anything else to say about it.
  • Haru, G-senjou. Yes, I mean it. Haru was definitely very entertaining character at the beginning of the game, and she is still one of my favorite female characters in VN's, even considering the fact that this VN is far from my favorite. Her confrontations with Maou in the "common route" were probably my second favorite part in the game. Her route though... It starts with the stupidest plot-twist ever,
    Spoiler

which I managed to predict only because I didn't think that the author would manage to successfully end the story if something like that didn't happen (though this reasoning turned out kind of wrong, the ending turned out to be really well-done),

turns all interesting characters this VN had at this point into cheesy tropes, and at the same time adds a ton of edgy action which I personally didn't even enjoy. Well, the ending of her route, on the other hand, was really great, and when I reached it, I wanted to forget all the things I disliked before I got to that point. But when I remembered them... no.

• Aqua, Himawari. I mean, Aqua is definitely the best character in the game. She's the only one I liked in the "common route", and the chapter told from her perspective was really good, borderline great at some points. When I got to her route, all my enjoyment about the game totally stopped. First of all, Aqua is a good, but she can't pull the drama alone. If didn't care about any character but her at this point, then it isn't surprising that the drama simply didn't work. Even though I could always see that feelings I should've had about most scenes in her route, those feelings just didn't come. And then there are plot holes. I mean, I could buy it if the plot holes just contradicted more "scientific" things,

Spoiler

like the fact that a small space ship suddenly had enough fuel to reach the Moon, or even that all objects from space somehow always crash in exactly the same place throughout the whole game.

But at the end of her route some plot twists kind of started to contradict even simple common sense. It was the last drop for me, and even though I technically didn't drop the VN after that, I decided to stall it for indefinite amount of time. I want to try to reread it at some point, because I still don't want to believe that the game that hyped turned out to be this bad, but, with all honesty, this will probably never happen.

Edited by Dreamysyu

*cough* Makoto and Chiaki from Noble Works. Both of them were really great in the common route, and Makoto added some spice in several of the heroine routes too. 

On a more serious note I'd agree with the Chris in Majikoi comment - it seemed pretty forced the way it ended what with

Spoiler

her being forced to go back to Germany and them having to break her out

, and that made it seem less "comedic and playfully silly" and more "silly and unrealistic". It was disappointing since she'd been a pretty solid character elsewhere and through the common route, so I'd been really looking forward to going through her route. Can't remember it so well since I last read it a while ago but I think that might've been part of the reason I stopped reading the other routes and am only just now going back to finish off several others.  

Edited by snowbell55

4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:
  • Haru, G-senjou. Yes, I mean it. Haru was definitely very entertaining character at the beginning of the game, and she is still one of my favorite female characters in VN's, even considering the fact that this VN is far from my favorite. Her confrontations with Maou in the "common route" were probably my second favorite part in the game. Her route though... It starts with the stupidest plot-twist ever,
      Reveal hidden contents

which I managed to predict only because I didn't think that the author would manage to successfully end the story if something like that didn't happen (though this reasoning turned out kind of wrong, the ending turned out to be really well-done),

turns all interesting characters this VN had at this point into cheesy tropes, and at the same time adds a ton of edgy action which I personally didn't even enjoy. Well, the ending of her route, on the other hand, was really great, and when I reached it, I wanted to forget all the things I disliked before I got to that point. But when I remembered them... no.

• Aqua, Himawari. I mean, Aqua is definitely the best character in the game. She's the only one I liked in the "common route", and the chapter told from her perspective was really good, borderline great at some points. When I got to her route, all my enjoyment about the game totally stopped. First of all, Aqua is a good, but she can't pull the drama alone. If didn't care about any character but her at this point, then it isn't surprising that the drama simply didn't work. Even though I could always see that feelings I should've had about most scenes in her route, those feelings just didn't come. And then there are plot holes. I mean, I could buy it if the plot holes just contradicted more "scientific" things,

Reveal hidden contents

like the fact that a small space ship suddenly had enough fuel to reach the Moon, or even that all objects from space somehow always crash in exactly the same place throughout the whole game.

But at the end of her route some plot twists kind of started to contradict even simple common sense. It was the last drop for me, and even though I technically didn't drop the VN after that, I decided to stall it for indefinite amount of time. I want to try to reread it at some point, because I still don't want to believe that the game that hyped turned out to be this bad, but, with all honesty, this will probably never happen.

Disliking the best routes in the VNs you mentioned. That's quite rebellious of you.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:
  • Sora, Ever17. Her route wasn't the worst thing ever, but was a bit pointless and was probably the worst in the game, which is a shame considering she was my favorite character at first (and the only one I didn't dislike at the beginning).
  •  

I will battle with you over the scathing fires of Hell.

Sora's route is still far and away my favorite romantic route in any VN (disregarding games with a single, and thus canonical, pairing). The themes it tackles are beautiful, Sora's easily the most interesting girl in the cast (YMMV), that ending is unforgettable. I actually found it more impactful than the true route...

12 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

I will battle with you over the scathing fires of Hell.

Sora's route is still far and away my favorite romantic route in any VN (disregarding games with a single, and thus canonical, pairing). The themes it tackles are beautiful, Sora's easily the most interesting girl in the cast (YMMV), that ending is unforgettable. I actually found it more impactful than the true route...

Well, that's exactly why I added the note about opinions in the beginning of my post. :sachi:

Well, maybe I sounded a bit too negative in that part, because I can't say I disliked her route, I was mostly indifferent to it. I slightly liked it when I read it (it was my first route), but when I finished the VN, it started to seem to me that it was pretty pointless, considering the nature of the whole game. It added little to the overall mystery, and portrayed some other characters in a bit strange light. As for the romance... I think it was good, but I don't really remember much of it at this point, so it definitely wasn't the most impactful thing to me. Again, feel free to disagree.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

Disliking the best routes in the VNs you mentioned. That's quite rebellious of you.

Well, I can't help it if I didn't like them. :mare:

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, that's exactly why I added the note about opinions in the beginning of my post. :sachi:

Well, maybe I sounded a bit too negative in that part, because I can't say I disliked her route, I was mostly indifferent to it. I slightly liked it when I read it (it was my first route), but when I finished the VN, it started to seem to me that it was pretty pointless, considering the nature of the whole game. It added little to the overall mystery, and portrayed some other characters in a bit strange light. As for the romance... I think it was good, but I don't really remember much of it at this point, so it definitely wasn't the most impactful thing to me. Again, feel free to disagree.

Well, I can't help it if I didn't like them. :mare:

It's in jest, do not worry :D

Well, I was a little dissapointed by Chikara's ending in Bushi no Kodou. The others were so incredibly emotional, but hers felt... idk, kinda anticlimactic.

I mean, I still cried like a baby, but I cried more during the rest. :PAlso, Shimizu needed much more love in that game. Her "route" was way too short.

Meanwhile, Shinpachi gets all the love. :rubycry:

Holy fuck Shinpachi's route was amazing.

Cro from Chorono Clock is the one I've hated every single moment. It was such a good character in the other routes, and them they destroyed her whole character for that. And I'm very serious when I say I read the game only to read her route, and it was disappointing.

The true route from Dal Segno was also bland in comparison to the other heroines. And, although it is not the point of this thread, many True Routes seem somewhat dull in comparison to others when it is only focused on the character. I enjoy them a lot when something is added to the story instead of simply being another character route.

Just now, Silvz said:

Cro from Chorono Clock is the one I've hated every single moment. It was such a good character in the other routes, and them they destroyed her whole character for that. And I'm very serious when I say I read the game only to read her route, and it was disappointing.

The true route from Dal Segno was also bland in comparison to the other heroines. And, although it is not the point of this thread, many True Routes seem somewhat dull in comparison to others when it is only focused on the character. I enjoy them a lot when something is added to the story instead of simply being another character route.

True routes only ever work for me if they focus on a bunch of plot reveals for a mystery tbh. 

3 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

True routes only ever work for me if they focus on a bunch of plot reveals for a mystery tbh. 

Exactly. I think I had too much expectations in both routes, so when they were not met, I could not enjoy the routes at all.

Also, I read the whole discussion, and it is funny how I disagree with many, mainly on Sora in Ever17 @Dreamysyu and Kotori in Rewrite, by @Ranzo. Sora made me cry at least two times, both in

Spoiler

the mirror scene when they finally "touch" each other and when she says that if he closes his eyes, she ceases to exist.

Kotori is not bad, but I agree that she is an introdutory route. Chihaya was worst for me, but only because I don't like action scenes, which were very present on hers.

Edited by Silvz

Well I'm here, might as Well. :oP

- Nano from Togainu no Chi, since his route is like any other route, too much about him Was revealed in other routes so the reveal in his route felt like "Wow Nice trivial".

- YU-NO's True Route Was... Something, the genre shift and infodumping Was somewhat unhealthy, and the fact that the end is some kind of Weird metaphor, doesn't help.

-Sensei in Euphoria, wanted her route to be less "Foreshadowing for later routes" and more "actual route".

- Haya & Mischa in Fragment's Note are the same fucking route basically, they try to much to explain the plot that they forgot to develop their heroines and you learn nothing new About them, fucking moeges. xoI

- -Fall into Poison- route in Sound of Drop pulled way too many plot stunt, though It wasn't that bad.

Akatsuki no Goei 3 Due to the sheer number of heroines, it was perhaps inevitable that the VN would be organized into arcs rather than individual stories, but I would have liked to see a new Tae path, a longer Kaede path, and a much, much more extensive Haku path.  Tae's path in the original is good, and it is extended hilariously in 2, but all she got in 3 was an h-scene in the extras, much like all the other heroines from the original (except Reika, of course).

Kamori in Sora no Baroque gets screwed over massively... she is an interesting character, but - like the other heroines in the game - is never given a chance to really shine.

Tamao in Hello, Lady.  I honestly felt that, while her path was interesting in and of itself, it didn't really do her character justice in comparison to the other heroine paths. 

Tokitani Shinobu from Hatsugamai.  She makes what is easily the strongest impression of all the characters in the game, her past is wonderfully complex and emotionally packed, and her present with the protagonist is just as wonderfully filled with potential landmines... and yet the path itself doesn't match her potential.  All the other paths in this game were suitable for their characters, but I felt that this one fizzled a little, in retrospect.

Gensou no Idea: All heroines.  To be honest, while the main story of this game is great, the way they handled the heroines was a bit... incompetent.  The epilogues are good, but if you asked me whether they served as an adequate replacement for individual heroine paths...