What's the story of Fuwanovel up till now?

Happiness+

During the great pirate era, I got Fate Stay Night, Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia, and Air.

However, I am deeply fascinated by the kind of stuff that was going on in the forum.

In other words, I wanna know the history of these here forums especially the drama.

Think of me a student because that wants to listen to grand old sages of the forum.

Tell me everything. I like reading anyway. :sachi:

Edited by Happiness+
spelling.

well, one of my threads got closed because some members were taking their opinions too far regarding a certain subject that may or may not have involved the R word during a certain route in maji de watashi ni koi shinasai.

for those curios. now, im only linking to show what im talking about. not looking to open this discussion up again. and dont cause it may get this poor persons thread closed. :sachi: 

and @VirginSmasher trying to take over fuwa with some rogue members... but thats a secret. :rimu:

Well, I arrived in 2015 so I have no clue about history before that. Something about torrents and lolis being banned.

Then I and a few other members took over the forum for like 6 months with a bunch of spamming, then that died because of the creation of a Discord server.

I left in mid-2016 and came back on occasion until March 2017, where I left for a long time until January of this year.

All that really matters is spam took over the forum for like half a year. :sachi:

1 minute ago, Ranzo said:

Pre-October 16, 2017

Nothing but fuck all happened.

October 16, 2017

I arrived in the forum and things started to happen.

Ranzo you narcisstic bastard.

You know we All love you.

Ask Kaguya btw, he knows all about @Aaaeru which was the turning point.

I did a thread on the History of my experience in Fuwa and what the community was like from 2013 - 2016. I didn't hang around that much in 2016, and in 2017 I was virtually absent. But If you are interested in the early days of the forums, then check this out: 

Edit: This thread is a real goldmine for Fuwa history because it doesn't just feature my experiences, but other members posted their experiences as well. Particularly Sanahtlig. Other members also dug through and found old threads that they liked and shared those as well (check out zhurai's post).   

Edited by Zalor

Building on top of Zalor's post, I can give a quick and dirty version of my time here. Granted, I don't remember dates all that much. 

I joined early on in Fuwanovel's history because i needed help fixing sound in Never7. I never fixed it. I think early on, I didn't care about Aaeru hosting pre-patched torrents because for me, it was easily the best way to get a VN. I didn't trust purchasing through Mangagamer or Jast USA and this was well before steam VNs, aside from random ones like Analogue: A Hate Story, were a thing. Anyway, I read Ever17 and loved it a lot so I began to pick up other VNs and take part in more discussions on the forums. I never delved heavily into VNs though and mostly stuck to anime and gaming discussions. Early on, though, I remember clashing with sanahtlig. I don't know what the hell I was fighting with him over but thats hardly unique to me. 

Someone then made, likely tay or ryoji, a terrible mistake and promoted me to a moderator with some others, like Down and Steve. At once, I got into a big fight with aaeru over hosting licensed content. I don't recall what the it was though, possibly Steins;Gate? Or something related to it This went directly against a rule that had been set up, that Fuwanovel would not host licensed games. Anyway, I was kind of a dickwaffle and wasn't very nice. The staff ended up splitting into two camps over the issue. I do recall Ryoji and myself were on one side with Aaeru and Steve on the other. Then Tay stepped in like the mighty God he is, and somehow solved the situation. I think we ended up making it a rule that no licensed content would be hosted by Fuwanovel, that it was to be strictly fan TLs. This would come back to haunt the site when Clannad and Grisaia got licensed.

Things chugged along for a bit, and I was quite active in doing nothing really. I do recall a spam war where suddenly everyone began posting AMA threads over and over. Your boi zakamutt was part of this if memory serves. By this point, aaeru's activity had begun falling off so Tay and Ryoji were left to deal with this situation. Ryoji favored the nuclear option of banning those involved. Tay wasn't too terribly eager to do so. I vaguely recall diving into the irc channel with him and talking the situation out. This marked the beginnings of the Coliseum of Chatter. Originally I think it was a single thread, and then a subforum, before it got split off into its own thing. Once again, Tay had achieved a middle ground. I think maybe one temp ban was handed out during all of this? 

Ryoji left the site, I don't remember the date but I remember it happening pretty vividly. Wasn't great. To try and bridge the gap, I volunteered to take the spot, never intending to actually keep it for a long amount of time. I admit, it was nice to finally be a higher rank than Steve, who was my nemesis on the site. I really didn't do much different than what I had been doing as a mod. I didn't feel it was my place to make any structural changes to the website so I tried to avoid doing anything major like that. The only thing I remember doing as an admin was spending 3 hours talking to steve in his cursed teamspeak channel to convince him that posting pictures of naked lolis wasn't great, and even posting p. risque ones could get people in trouble. Finally, after much talking, I finally convinced him to put them in spoiler tags and not post naked lolis. As the compromise, I went in and placed many of his pictures in spoiler tags to save him the effort. It was a dark, loli filled day for me, one I never want to repeat. 

Then the website blew up, thanks to aaeru pirating the software for the site. It was down for quite some time, nayleen stepped in and helped Tay get things back up. aaeru was long gone by this point, which complicated matters quite a bit. Regardless, Nay and Tay got things back up and running. I stepped down from the staff since I felt rather out of place, not knowing how to really help anymore. My activity declined somewhat around this time too, until Tay had a situation arise and had to leave for a while. As a result, Cybersteel took over the show and Steve was promoted to admin. Yeah... that was something. He asked me to come back as a moderator, thus beginning the meme of solidbatman joining and quitting the staff daily. 

I don't remember when it was exactly, that Clannad and Grisaia got licensed. Tay may have still been hanging around at this time? There was a huge debate over whether or not Fuwanovel should continue hosting those two VNs. I argued that they ought to be taken down as they were no longer fanTLs and a legitimate way of purchasing them was now available. Steve, and many others argued that because the official releases had a different translation, they technically were not the same and should be left up. The second part of their argument dealt with purchasing them from other countries (which as steam releases made little sense to me but not much about the VN community and culture does).  

They ended up being removed which marked the beginning of the end of hosting torrents of fanTLs on the website. Back to Steve's adminship. I ended up leaving the staff again shortly after when I realized I was only placed on the staff for optics. Steve, if memory serves which it may not as I am biased, really didn't listen to anyone and did whatever he really wanted to do. Admirable maybe, but I was not really in the mood to work under that knowing nothing I said or did would matter. In true Steve fashion, he argued with me for a couple hours trying to get me to stay on. Didn't work. 

Then Tay showed back up. What he managed to do still amazes me. He took down the torrents and kept Fuwanovel alive. I honestly have no idea how he managed to do this. Some members did leave over this and begin their own new fuwanovel thingy that does the same thing the old fuwanovel did. But the core of this site stayed intact. VNTS was revived by Zakamutt and Tay, and later Decay, who brought it into their current format. With the removal of torrents, Fuwanovel gained some legitimacy within the commercial VN industry. I've no doubt some fan translators still hate fuwanovel for hosting the pre-patched torrents but companies were willing to interact with Fuwanovel after the removal. 

FuwaReviews became a thing, and to be honest, thats all I cared about once we got it going. Ryechu did good work building some contacts within the industry to gain reviewers some review copies. I got into a twitter tiff with the Lupiesoft guy because I gave his shitty VN a low score after he gave us a review copy (the god damn game barely ran). I wrote the infamous Little Busters! review. The reaction was amazing. Doing FuwaReviews stuff was some of the most fun I think I had on this website. Regardless, with FuwaReviews, my interest in other parts of the site died off, and I no longer followed the happenings closely as they didn't concern me. Then I left all together for about 2 years before coming back in the past week due to boredom. 

So there is my 150% self-centered history of Fuwanovel. I admit its self-centered because all I really can remember is stuff I was involved with. Like I said before, I typically stayed out of VN discussions unless it was in regards to their distribution. 

Relevent comment from nay the bae about Steve: 

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

Clicking that thread, I saw a post by nohman. Damn, I miss that guy. His classy avatar is something I miss seeing. 

Also, your post in general was very interesting. Thanks for sharing. When all that shit was going down I was just a commoner on the forums (always have been). So I only ever saw the front end of things.

13 hours ago, Happiness+ said:

In other words, I wanna know the history of these here forums especially the drama.

The only history you need to know about is the “golden age of fuwa” as I’d like to call it.

It was around the time where Okami would hang out in the “are H-scenes necessary?” Thread and tell everyone not to taint the forums with their perversion. 

Good times.:sachi:

Edited by HMN

5 hours ago, HMN said:

It was around the time where Okami would hang out in the “are H-scenes neccissary?” Thread and tell everyone not to taint the forums with their perversion. 

I'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT OKAMI

Man, I've forgotten so much about this website...

Thank you everyone, for posting about Fuwa's history here. I've missed it.

4 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT OKAMI

Man, I've forgotten so much about this website...

Thank you everyone, for posting about Fuwa's history here. I've missed it.

I didn't even forget about Okami. I remember the first time he got invited into a spam PM and how he reacted when we posted an h-scene CG in there. 

On 6/21/2015 at 2:12 PM, sanahtlig said:

So the new tagline of Fuwanovel almost became "Making visual novels lolis popular in the West"?

...am I the only that wants to load a saved game and try the other route?

I died of laughter when I read this. You know you could make a visual novel out all sweet drama that happened over the years.

Heroes rose. Others have fallen.

I really loved this one.

On 6/21/2015 at 5:22 PM, Down said:

Solidbatman is said to have been chosen... eh... nobody really knows. He doesn't seem to know either.

This made me lmao as well.

@Steve is one hell of a character, defending lolis to the bitter end. I have been trying to find the mysterious Aaeru, but I think she deleted her profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when FuwaNovel hosted visual novels. 

(I didn't visit FuwaNovel regularly later btw)

One time when I visited, the games were gone with an explanation of Aaeru I think? I wonder where she is, she once wrote a blog post about my old youtube account which I recently restarted.

Then the site went off air for I dunno how long, could be that hour I tried to visit the website, but could have been also for a few months.

And now we're at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/3/2018 at 1:08 AM, Happiness+ said:

I have been trying to find the mysterious Aaeru, but I think she deleted her profile.

I went through links posted here, and then though links there and so on. Eventually I came across this thread started by "Guest", but other people refer to the thread starter as "Aaeru". Sure looks like the account is history. The thread is interesting too. Never heard about it before.

For the record MangaGamer released DC3 3 years and 10 months after this thread, making the wait longer than the 2-3 years people estimated.