Nier: Automata still has one undiscovered secret, says dev team

tahu157

In a recent interview with the Nier: Automata dev team they said there is one final "unpleasant" secret left in the game that no one has discovered yet. I wonder how they're so sure that no one has run into whatever it is they're talking about. I think it should be entirely possible for someone to have already found this thing, but decided not to say anything about it online for whatever reason. But they seem pretty confident that no one has discovered it yet. That would mean that they either have some way of detecting if someone stumbles on their secret, or it's not actually in the game yet and they're planning to patch it in at a later date, which would be lame.

As for what the secret is, I have a few ideas. It could be a 27th ending (there are 'only' 26 endings right now) that completely changes the game in some way and/or eliminates the closure we've already gotten. It could be some kind of lore-building sidequest that ruins our image of a character but doesn't necessarily effect the game's closure. And then the last thing I think it could be is some rare game-breaking bug that no one is likely to find, in which case the dev team are just trolling us by making it seem like a big deal. Actually I wouldn't rule out trolling in any of those scenarios.

Anyone got any speculation about this mysterious statement? 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/07/nier-automata-still-holds-a-final-unpleasant-secret

26 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

well, no ones seems to have reported this secret. most likely because they dont know its supposed to be a secret. couldve found it and thought "Huh, interesting."

Yeh, that's why I find it so hard so hard to believe that they're sure no one has found it. Like I said in the OP, it makes me think it's either not actually in the game yet, or they have some way of detecting when someone encounters it.

4 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Considering the team behind Nier has some very eccentric individuals, it is very hard to guess what they could be referring to. 

The situation kinda reminds me of the Pendant starting gift in Dark Souls.

oh god. xD wouldnt be surprised if people still believe there was some deep secret to that pendant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 5:42 PM, Eclipsed said:

The undiscovered secret

Is whatever happens if you manage to beat that fking Bullet Hell on your first try

I actually gave up on my first go, right before the space magic happens :pyaa: 

its not that hard. just git gud. :makina: but nah, hang in there. really fun game. my goty

• 2 weeks later...

One of the "features" which I couldn't find on the internet despite looking for it was one of my friends' discovery:

Near the resistance camp at the start of the game, there are usually 3 or 4 neutral machines walking in circle. If you go with 2B after using self destruction and put her "rear" in front of their faces, they have a chance of blushing and emit smoke from their "ears" (it doesn't seems to happen often though, I'm still wondering if there is a particular trigger for it).

It seems the game is full of these "features" but most of them are not documented yet.

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 7:05 PM, きょうすけ said:

One of the "features" which I couldn't find on the internet despite looking for it was one of my friends' discovery:

Near the resistance camp at the start of the game, there are usually 3 or 4 neutral machines walking in circle. If you go with 2B after using self destruction and put her "rear" in front of their faces, they have a chance of blushing and emit smoke from their "ears" (it doesn't seems to happen often though, I'm still wondering if there is a particular trigger for it).

It seems the game is full of these "features" but most of them are not documented yet.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! i want to find out for myself but i dont have it installed anymore. might still have the save file so its not that big of a deal but even so.

also, idk, doesnt sound like it could be it. not really that big or grand of a secret.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, きょうすけ said:

... Wat.