What is the most garbage VN you ever read?

Happiness+

58 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

Wow, that made me lolz. I was comtemplating the Muv Luv series because I saw rumbling hearts years back and it was the best romance anime I have ever seen. But, I am afraid of getting into VNs that looks longer to read than Journey To The West.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a bit overrated. You can get to the end with no problems, like I did, but you won't be saved from the occasional facepalm.

That said, I don't think it connects in any way to Muv Luv (though I haven't played those). I guess it just reuses the main characters' designs.

Noble Works was... just pointless. I didn't think ojousamas could be so boring. Dracu-riot is better only by a pinch -on first look all heroines look good, but actually getting through their routes is a chore. The vampishit isn't very helpful either, it's just a background to paint the story over. And protagonist is just... not great.

Yuki Zakura, it's old but God, it's bad. Besides, some routes are actually palatable (like Saki's) but other are torture.

Wanko to Kurasou is an eroge wanting to be a nukige. All the setting is just facilitation for softcore bestiality. And the "drama" is laughable.

Sakura Beach... you're left thinking "what the heck did I read? Why do I feel like I'm worthless?". I suppose the level of writing is constant among all the franchise.

Edited by Okarin

2 minutes ago, Okarin said:

That said, I don't think it connects in any way to Muv Luv (though I haven't played those). I guess it just reuses the main characters' designs.

It does. And apparently it's highly recommended to read KGNE before Muv Luv. I personally have a very strong suspicion that Extra works better if you do that, but I don't know.

15 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

It does. And apparently it's highly recommended to read KGNE before Muv Luv. I personally have a very strong suspicion that Extra works better if you do that, but I don't know.

What? But... the characters have different names. They have the same looks but shouldn't be the same people...

20 minutes ago, Okarin said:

What? But... the characters have different names. They have the same looks but shouldn't be the same people...

They are the different people, but some characters from KGNE still appear. And some comedy clearly parodies KGNE, though I don't know how much, I didn't watch or read it.

%%%%%

Going back to the topic. I personally just prefer to avoid trash VNs, for quite obvious reasons. There are several short unknown VNs I tried and found completely pointless, and rated accordingly low, but all of these don't deserve to be mentioned here, because even saying that they are trash would be giving too much credit to them. As for some popular VNs I didn't like... I don't see any point in bashing them. There are several popular VNs I really didn't like, but, as their popularity suggests, they still have a lot of good points, even though they didn't work on me for various reasons.

I've been around for awhile, long enough that I remember the types of games that got officially translated in the late 90's.  There were a handful of gems in that era (like Eve Burst Error and Nocturnal Illusion) but also a huge pile of really bad nukige.  Bad by 1998 standards nukige.  Any of the following have pretty much no entertainment value whatsoever:

This game has everything: terrible writing, uninteresting characters, really short, bad plot, and just being really old and awful.  I think it's the first yurige ever officially translated, but there's a reason nobody remembers it: https://vndb.org/v1189 

SLGs are rare nowadays; they died out because they're terribly repetitive.  This one straight up lies to you about its own mechanics, telling you sex training the maids is optional.  It isn't.  The only way to get money is forcing the maids to service men who randomly show up and demand to sleep with them, because they'll pay.  If you've trained the maids 'correctly'.  At the end, if they aren't trained well, you get ragged on for doing a bad job by the same character who told you it was optional:  https://vndb.org/v11014

This game at least tries to be funny, but between the generic badness of the story, the cast of 100% stock characters, and the awful wooden localization (which was standard for h-games back then), it's pretty dire: https://vndb.org/v1444

One of G-C's first releases took several really old plot-what-plot games from way back in their back catalog (from back when really short pointless sex games were standard, because games with plot hadn't been invented yet) and stitched them into this.  None of the scenarios are interesting, and the whole thing was already too dated to be hot 15 years ago: https://vndb.org/v159

In the early days of my VN reading I made the mistake of buying https://vndb.org/v979 during sale on Mangagamer without doing research.  I figured I’d just skip the loli routes (not my thing, sorry loli fans) only to find out that you have to do them to unlock a bunch of other routes.  It’s one of only two VNs I totally dropped so far.  What made it garbage over the other one I dropped is that the other one is free.

Edited by finiteHP

On 11/03/2018 at 10:27 AM, Nandemonai said:

I've been around for awhile, long enough that I remember the types of games that got officially translated in the late 90's.  There were a handful of gems in that era (like Eve Burst Error and Nocturnal Illusion) but also a huge pile of really bad nukige.  Bad by 1998 standards nukige.  Any of the following have pretty much no entertainment value whatsoever:

This game has everything: terrible writing, uninteresting characters, really short, bad plot, and just being really old and awful.  I think it's the first yurige ever officially translated, but there's a reason nobody remembers it: https://vndb.org/v1189 

SLGs are rare nowadays; they died out because they're terribly repetitive.  This one straight up lies to you about its own mechanics, telling you sex training the maids is optional.  It isn't.  The only way to get money is forcing the maids to service men who randomly show up and demand to sleep with them, because they'll pay.  If you've trained the maids 'correctly'.  At the end, if they aren't trained well, you get ragged on for doing a bad job by the same character who told you it was optional:  https://vndb.org/v11014

This game at least tries to be funny, but between the generic badness of the story, the cast of 100% stock characters, and the awful wooden localization (which was standard for h-games back then), it's pretty dire: https://vndb.org/v1444

One of G-C's first releases took several really old plot-what-plot games from way back in their back catalog (from back when really short pointless sex games were standard, because games with plot hadn't been invented yet) and stitched them into this.  None of the scenarios are interesting, and the whole thing was already too dated to be hot 15 years ago: https://vndb.org/v159

Being one of the few people old enough to be around when these things were released, I played all of the above and by god did you get it right with Pro Lesring aka Ring Out. You're wrong, I remember it vividly (in a bad way.) That was the biggest pile of steaming shit I ever played. Since VNs were so few and far between and hard to get hold of, I even read the whole damn thing even though it was appalling. It predated my ability to allow myself to mash the ctrl key. I'm so ashamed.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:44 PM, finiteHP said:

In the early days of my VN reading I made the mistake of buying https://vndb.org/v979 during sale on Mangagamer without doing research.  I figured I’d just skip the loli routes (not my thing, sorry loli fans) only to find out that you have to do them to unlock a bunch of other routes.  It’s one of only two VNs I totally dropped so far.  What made it garbage over the other one I dropped is that the other one is free.

What? There's only one loli route, which is also an incest route if you're into that, and it's only required to unlock one route. Though said unlockable route for me personally is the worst route in the game regardless so you wouldn't be missing much. The rest of the VN is very good, according to my tastes at least.

19 hours ago, Kabu said:

What? There's only one loli route, which is also an incest route if you're into that, and it's only required to unlock one route. Though said unlockable route for me personally is the worst route in the game regardless so you wouldn't be missing much. The rest of the VN is very good, according to my tastes at least.

Might have just been me taking one look at them and judging.  I considered Umi, Sonya, and Riru as lolis.  Maybe the last two just count as flat.  I’m operating from vague memories and the vndb character tab.  Just a case of different tastes for different folks since the one route I did (Ayaka maybe?) didn’t impress me.

Edited by finiteHP

I tried playing fault - milestone one and jesus, it was SO BORING. The art was fine, but all the explanation about the magic system was dumped in the beginning of the game and it drove me bonkers. I couldn't even make out of the prologue. (and i have the sequel too, ffs)

All that info dump would've never been allowed if I sent it off to my editor =_=;;;; 

Edited by milkteebaby

1 hour ago, milkteebaby said:

I tried playing fault - milestone one and jesus, it was SO BORING. The art was fine, but all the explanation about the magic system was dumped in the beginning of the game and it drove me bonkers. I couldn't even make out of the prologue. (and i have the sequel too, ffs)

All that info dump would've never been allowed if I sent it off to my editor =_=;;;; 

Completely agree :) And the info-dumping doesn't stop there. The mystery of a character in part 1 was completely destroyed by a big-arse flashback sequence which pretty much tells the reader her entire backstory, which had the added bonus of bringing the plot to a grounding halt to accommodate this. 

I honestly don't get why it's so popular.

2 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Completely agree :) And the info-dumping doesn't stop there. The mystery of a character in part 1 was completely destroyed by a big-arse flashback sequence which pretty much tells the reader her entire backstory, which had the added bonus of bringing the plot to a grounding halt to accommodate this. 

I honestly don't get why it's so popular.

Flashbacks, done in such a way, effectively kill the story for me. Why don't the writers pepper in backstory so it weaves naturally with the story? It seems like people are way more forgiving of writing faux pas (god, what's the plural form of faux pas?) in VNs/games than an actual novel. 

2 hours ago, milkteebaby said:

Yeah I agree that it had one of the worst intros I've come across in...well...anything. It took me several attempts to push past it, manly due to the fact that I liked that girls uniform. I will tentatively say that it does get better and I found it to be worth the atrocious info dump. (Personally I thought the flashback was done well enough, I've seen so much worse.)

The sequel is a noticeable improvement though it's not without it's own faults.

Edited by Ranzo

36 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Because they can't write?

But see, that's the thing, right? With visual novels, sure, the art is important, but what should be the most important is the story itself. :/ You'd think a company specializing in visual NOVELS would know better than to write in such an awful way. 

Or maybe I'm overreacting. The vast majority of the reviews on Steam are very complimentary =_=;;;

7 hours ago, milkteebaby said:

But see, that's the thing, right? With visual novels, sure, the art is important, but what should be the most important is the story itself. :/ You'd think a company specializing in visual NOVELS would know better than to write in such an awful way. 

Or maybe I'm overreacting. The vast majority of the reviews on Steam are very complimentary =_=;;;

If I'm not wrong, Fault was made by a two-person doujin circle, it would actually be pretty strange if the game didn't have some deep flaws. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 2 weeks later...

Ikinari Anta Ni Koishteiru was pretty bad for me

https://vndb.org/v5240

I got fooled by the VNDB intro page and hunted down a copy. It turned out to be fake though, at least the heroines were definitely not like that at the beginning, and I dropped the game a short while into it. The dialogue was pretty damm awkward, and the massive amount of verbal abuse 2 of the heroines hurled at the protagonist turned my stomach and make me cringed badly

Edited by phantomJS

• 2 weeks later...

Yume miru kusuri without doubt, at first it was fine but the asshole of protagonist, the stupid and irritant sister and how he didn't give a shit about anything that happend toward him, the ugly art-style and how many senseless sex scene it has.

Ace Attorney for demoting Klavier Gavin to extra and ignoring Franziska and Gumshoe existence

On 3/10/2018 at 6:27 PM, Nandemonai said:

Oh hey, my friends and I did a playthrough of this. It was fun since it was with my friends, but yeah, sucks otherwise.

I think the only two "Oh god what did I get myself into" VNs were Yandere and Naked Butler.  I think it's mainly because I read both of them blind, so I didn't know what to expect.

Yandere- I love yandere, but I'm incredibly squeamish, so...you can probably guess how that affected my rating. I'm fine with some 2D blood and gore, but guro is just an instant no. I couldn't stomach some of the final sex scenes with Maika. The protag is also really unlikable, from what I remember.

Naked Butler- SPEAKING OF UNLIKABLE PROTAGS...holy shit. This guy is an insufferable shit heel and I hate him a lot. I get now that this VN is supposed to be really silly and over-the-top, but it was a little too 'extreme' for me when I went into it blind. I might pick it up again some day, who knows.

In terms of actual garbage, Deathtopia is basically unplayable. The translation is bad and pretty nonsensical, I'm pretty sure mine didn't have any sound, and the UI is godawful and completely counter-intuitive. I dropped it, but iirc from a review, you actually can't even finish it past a certain point.

Edited by Pomelo

On 3/31/2018 at 2:16 AM, phantomJS said:

Ikinari Anta Ni Koishteiru was pretty bad for me

https://vndb.org/v5240

I got fooled by the VNDB intro page and hunted down a copy. It turned out to be fake though, at least the heroines were definitely not like that at the beginning, and I dropped the game a short while into it. The dialogue was pretty damm awkward, and the massive amount of verbal abuse 2 of the heroines hurled at the protagonist turned my stomach and make me cringed badly

>Massive amounts of verbal abuse

Now you know how I felt when I read Fureraba and that red-haired bitch acted like a cunt for the entirety of what I read. It just pissed me off and made me question why anybody would like such a heroine unless you're a hyper masochist.

18 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

>Massive amounts of verbal abuse

Now you know how I felt when I read Fureraba and that red-haired bitch acted like a cunt for the entirety of what I read. It just pissed me off and made me question why anybody would like such a heroine unless you're a hyper masochist.

I assure you the situation in Ikinari is FAR worse than what Yuzuyu did in Fureraba.

For one, Kyousuke actually fought back verbally against Yuzuyu. The protag in Ikinari just stood and accepted the abuse. And it's not the cute kind ('You hentai!, pervert!' ) either in Ikinari, but rather 2 of the heroines spat out things like 'Even a cockroach is worth more than you' (Don't remember the exact words, but this long hair bitch definitely said something similar in the first school scene) at the protag consistently (at least they did during my read through of it. No idea if they stop abusing the protag later on and dun really care). Btw this happens consistently throughout the entire opening sequence (I read around 2-3 hours before stopping), whereas in Fureraba this stops once you get to the gameplay part, which was relatively quick (where you talk to the girls).

Trust me, these 2 games are nowhere near similar in the bitching aspect :makina:

Edited by phantomJS

On April 20, 2018 at 5:49 AM, phantomJS said:

The protag in Ikinari just stood and accepted the abuse. And it's not the cute kind ('You hentai!, pervert!' ) either in Ikinari, but rather 2 of the heroines spat out things like 'Even a cockroach is worth more than you'.

I'm kinda into it :Chocola: