Contest | VN Couple | Won by @MaggieROBOT | Cardia + Van Helsing

arosia

Hey guys. I have been swamped with work, so please pardon the lateness of this post.

We want to do a contest on Fuwa, because we love it here. We already asked for feedback.

---

The Prize

One lucky VN character/couple (and their admirer) will win a piece of fan art by Ivy Fetish.

You can check out her work in our OELVN thread.

---

The Contest

Tell us who your favorite VN character/couple is! 

Part #1. Describe why you love that character/couple; anywhere from 50-2000 words (and no, we're not counting).

Part #2. Provide some reference images of that character/couple.

Note: Your character/couple can be any gender or orientation!

---

Rules

1. One entry per person.

2. Contest ends at 200 thread posts or on April 10th, 2018; whichever comes sooner

3. We will randomly pick a winner based on the post number.

4. Important! You can discuss yours/other's favorite characters/couples; doing so increases your chances of winning. Put "Vote: MyFavoriteCharacter/Couple" at the top of your replies, and if that post is selected when we do the drawing, then your vote will count for that character/couple. This means being active in the thread increases your chances of winning.

5. Ivy Fetish will get you your art by May 10th; you can use it anywhere you'd like as a signature, avatar, etc. Nothing commercial though, please.

6. We'll run this contest every few months for as long as people are interested; if you don't win the first time, then you'll get another chance for sure!

Edited by arosia

I present to you .... Michiru Matsushima (nicknamed ChiruChiru, also nicknamed Bottle Blonde). The chronically unlucky, dimwitted, fake Tsundere.

From the Grisaia series (she also has her own spinoff Idol game).

Reasons why I love her (let me count the ways)

* Before I even played the game, and knew the first thing about the characters, she stood out to me, on looks alone.

* Her voice is AMAZING! It's hilarious when she flips out (which tends to be often). And she has the girliest, most adorable giggles I've ever heard....

* Love her facial expressions, which are over the top...

* Pretty much the funniest character ever. Her antics had me in stitches. Helped in part by having nice chemistry with the rest of the cast.

* Her unlucky buttmonkey status, and her general dimwittedness, combined with the fact she throws her heart and soul into everything, just makes you want to cheer her on.

* Peel back her Tsundere act, and she's a total sweetheart. She's there to put smiles on everyone's faces.

* Always manages to have accidental fanservice moments at the beach (the first one got me pretty aroused as I remember).

* Actually more then just the token comedic character. Her backstory reveals quite a lot of depth to her character (that goes for the whole Grisaia cast though).

* She wears a cat on her head sometimes! Which she called KittyMeow...

Artwork...

Spoiler

4758-524090668.jpg

tumblr_oqarxrC1cQ1rix42oo1_1280.png

Matsushima-Michiru-18209.jpg

Grisaia-no-Kajitsu-045..jpg

Edited by r0xm2n

My Favorite couple will be Shirahane Suou and Hanabishi Rikka from the Flowers series.

It's a non-canon pairing, at least when it comes to first three chapters of the game, but one that is really dear to me and one I find most appropriate for the characters.

Suou is pretty much a female version of me - a shy, insecure girl, with s fair share of childhood traumas and hope to change her life for the better in the new environment. And while the game tries to sell her trying to be someone she isn't as the "right" approach, one that leads to positive conclusion in the main route, Rikka's route is different. She accepts Suou exactly the way she is and is ready to protect her whenever needed. She's reliable, caring and will do everything for the person she loves. At certain point she makes a horrible mistake, let's jealousy cloud her mind and push her towards manipulating other, but it's not truly in her nature - and it's a lesson she learned well, after she realizes that the feelings she tried to force upon Suou were already there. Her epilogue, unlike the sad end of Mayuri route, is one of the sweetest experiences I've had in VNs and I really hope them being together is still an option in he final part of the series.

Spoiler

FLOWERS.(Innocent.Grey).full.1711759.jpg

FLOWERS.(Innocent.Grey).full.1711760.jpg

0D42AF4751E39334BF76EFE7AAA28FF3E5C3ABB3

And now I'm crying for some reason. :unsure:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I really want to say Kagami Sumika and Shirogane Takeru from the Muv Luv series, but since I can't say much without spoiling pretty much everything from the series, I will go with my next favourite pairing.

Vote: Emiya Shirou and Matou Sakura from the Fate series. Emiya Shirou is your typical weak-and-useless protagonist at the start, with his ideals of wanting to save everyone and recklessness always getting himself into deep trouble.

However, in the Heavens Feel route, once he starts to fall in love with Sakura, he gradually starts to change his ways, and this is especially evident when Sakura starts to change for the worse. By doing what he did for Sakura, he risked sacrificing the lives of thousands of others, thus effectively throwing away his ideals, which is to save everyone.

Even when he finds out about Sakura's past, not only does he not turn away from Sakura, but he embraces her more. 

Anyways, here are some images of Sakura and Shirou:

Shirou_and_Sakura.jpg

emiya_shirou_and_matou_sakura_fate_stay_

Edited by wei123

Mint Blancmanche (Galaxy Angel)

I know, right big surprise that I would pick Mint, but she just has something that puts her above all the others, which is the fact that I was already obsessed with her way before I knew what a Visual Novel was. I grew to love Mint early on when I started watching the anime. I adored the fact that she presented herself as such a dignified lady while all the while she had a hidden vindictive, and merciless, edge to her. This is best exemplified in the episode in which she nearly wipes out her entire squad, just so she can avoid being seen in a compromising situation. Both the manga and Visual Novel opened up her character immensely by revealing that she is telepathic. This added a surprising amount of depth to her and to her interactions. Her route in the Galaxy Angel also had some of the most tender and sweet moments that melted my heart

Spoiler

https://s6.postimg.org/52jt22tr3/0033.jpg

Vote: Kotori Kanbe from Rewrite

Kotori is one of the more memorable main heroines I've seen in fiction. She's cute, has an incredibly great sense of humor,  but she also has a great amount of depth and character development.

Her character design is pretty and simple. I like the mix of braids, the flower decs, and the long brown hair. It's probably a bitch to take care of though. While I think Akane has the best rack (which Oppai Route agrees with) Kotori's is also nice and once I would prefer in real life, not too big, not too small. I also really like her casual clothes a lot. She has a simple pink sweater and checkered red skirt which fits well with her personality and overall design.

She has some of the best sprites and quotes in the game. There's a reason people still reference and screencap Shake It Now and the handy small butt quotes. It's heavily agreed Chiwa Saito did an amazing job voicing Kotori and shows her super good range. I can't imagine Kotori's goofiness and emotional scenes being so good if it wasn't Ms. Saito voicing them.

She breaks the mold of the typical hyperactive girl by actually being really smart and perceptive and has interesting character depth related to her guilt complex and dealing with emotions that she tries to write off.

As far as VN main heroines go there aren't many I can think of where they elaborate in great deal of how they were as a kid and how they showed how and why developed into the person they were besides just one simple flashback. 

She's definitely no Mary Sue. She has flaws related to avoiding people and hiding her emotions when under deep stress that could definitely use some improving which she can in time.

She's great when you take her on the surface as a really fun and charming person. She's still great when you look past that and see what she's really like and has to go through. These combined makes an amazing character and I really wish more fictional characters had both of these traits without big flaws holding them back.

g1oCWh9.gif

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

1 hour ago, r0xm2n said:

Based on what you said, Kotori seems like a heroine I'd dig. I've pretty much got Rewrite+ on my bucketlist of future reads. When it comes out that is...

Kotori's great but she's not even the most popular character in the VN which both saddens me but is understandable because there's some great stand out heroines in that VN. 

I could see you liking the other heroines that are more popular than her but who knows. Rewrite is just great all around (mostly)

Vote: Roll Again! (Any comment post without a designated vote counts as a Roll Again when we do the drawing)

On 3/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, r0xm2n said:

I present to you .... Michiru Matsushima (nicknamed ChiruChiru, also nicknamed Bottle Blonde). The chronically unlucky, dimwitted, fake Tsundere.

From the Grisaia series (she also has her own spinoff Idol game).

Wow, I can feel the love you have for her, @r0xm2n, in your huge list of awesome things about her. She's cute and funny, but unlucky.

I wouldn't mind seeing her win (with extra fan service even). Who doesn't love fan service, and she's super cute and flirty! Thank you so much for sharing her. I loved it!

On 3/8/2018 at 2:30 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

My Favorite couple will be Shirahane Suou and Hanabishi Rikka from the Flowers series.

Suou is pretty much a female version of me - a shy, insecure girl, with a fair share of childhood traumas and hope to change her life for the better in the new environment. 

And now I'm crying for some reason. :unsure:

Oh, so now I know the female version of you @Plk_Lesiak!

It's such a beautiful series. I love the art so much!

I like all the different kinds of characters and pairings. But there's always something super lovely about Yuri. There's this innocence in much of it that I find super adorable. Sadly, my experience with most real-life girls doesn't quite mirror what you find in anime and VNs; so I'm right there with you, living out my cutesy girl-girl love fantasies in the Yuri games!

And the crying is completely reasonable. We can get so attached to some of these characters; in many ways they come alive through our emotions. *writes that down as a good future idea for a short, VN story*

On 3/8/2018 at 4:25 AM, wei123 said:

I really want to say Kagami Sumika and Shirogane Takeru from the Muv Luv series, but since I can't say much without spoiling pretty much everything from the series, I will go with my next favourite pairing.

Introducing....Emiya Shirou and Matou Sakura from the Fate series. Emiya Shirou is your typical weak-and-useless protagonist at the start, with his ideals of wanting to save everyone and recklessness always getting himself into deep trouble.

However, in the Heavens Feel route, once he starts to fall in love with Sakura, he gradually starts to change his ways, and this is especially evident when Sakura starts to change for the worse. By doing what he did for Sakura, he risked sacrificing the lives of thousands of others, thus effectively throwing away his ideals, which is to save everyone.

Even when he finds out about Sakura's past, not only does he not turn away from Sakura, but he embraces her more. 

Anyways, here are some images of Sakura and Shirou:

@wei123, you should totally go with your original pairing! If you want to post again with just their names and the reference art, that would be okay. Just put a "Vote: YourNewCouple" at the top of the one you already did.

Oh, that's beautiful. That he was willing to sacrifice his ideals for her. They make such a cute couple. She seems a bit more soft, and he's holding her; so lovely. Thank you for sharing them with us!

On 3/8/2018 at 4:31 AM, Ranzo said:

Mint Blancmanche (Galaxy Angel)

I know, right big surprise that I would pick Mint, but she just has something that puts her above all the others, which is the fact that I was already obsessed with her way before I knew what a Visual Novel was. I grew to love Mint early on when I started watching the anime. I adored the fact that she presented herself as such a dignified lady while all the while she had a hidden vindictive, and merciless, edge to her. This is best exemplified in the episode in which she nearly wipes out her entire squad, just so she can avoid being seen in a compromising situation. Both the manga and Visual Novel opened up her character immensely by revealing that she is telepathic. This added a surprising amount of depth to her and to her interactions. Her route in the Galaxy Angel also had some of the most tender and sweet moments that melted my heart

What a cute and fun character @Ranzo!

I love that she was your first love! So much love.

Completely love evil, vindictive characters. I think they are seriously underloved (or maybe they've just sacrificed all the people who once loved them).

Thank you for sharing; she looks like she would be a fun character to draw. <3

15 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Vote: Kotori Kanbe from Rewrite

Kotori is one of the more memorable main heroines I've seen in fiction. She's cute, has an incredibly great sense of humor,  but she also has a great amount of depth and character development.

Her character design is pretty and simple. I like the mix of braids, the flower decs, and the long brown hair. It's probably a bitch to take care of though. While I think Akane has the best rack (which Oppai Route agrees with) Kotori's is also nice and once I would prefer in real life, not too big, not too small. I also really like her casual clothes a lot. She has a simple pink sweater and checkered red skirt which fits well with her personality and overall design.

She has some of the best sprites and quotes in the game. There's a reason people still reference and screencap Shake It Now and the handy small butt quotes. It's heavily agreed Chiwa Saito did an amazing job voicing Kotori and shows her super good range. I can't imagine Kotori's goofiness and emotional scenes being so good if it wasn't Ms. Saito voicing them.

She breaks the mold of the typical hyperactive girl by actually being really smart and perceptive and has interesting character depth related to her guilt complex and dealing with emotions that she tries to write off.

Aww, what a great submission @NowItsAngeTime!

First, on looks alone, she looks like she'd be really fun to draw! I love all that hair and the braids!

And I like how much you know her and seem to enjoy her character (and her "just right" breasts).

Thank you so much for participating!

Edited by arosia

Vote: Going along with my favorite female MC: Cardia, from Code Realize, I add Van Helsing!!!

Had to add my favorite boy XD

(I put the images in spoilers, because I put more than one and then my post would be ass long xD)

When you start the game, Cardia seems like your average female protagonist. She don't speak too much, she's a bit apathetic and her tiny sprite that appears in the corner of the screen severely lack in expressions. Together with her frilly and classy outfit, she looks like a porcelain doll.

Spoiler

cardia-beckford-111093.jpg?t=1507442693

This gradually changes when more and more question about herself and her past start to pops up. And of course, because she made some awesome friends that are the boys. She changes into a more pratical outifit, starts smiling more, and keeps training so she can be useful when the action bits of the VN starts. Her character development is super refreshing to read! In the prologue, she ruins an infiltration plan for being too naive to even lie. In the routes, she almost leading the infiltrations! She doesn't back down even when she's wounded or weak and shouldn't be fighting. She fight with her boys until the end, even when they want to leave her behind to protect her.

Of course, she's from an otome game, so romance plays a big role in the routes, but her proactive side and cute and pure side complement each other more than being at odds. Meaning, she would confront an incredibly powerful enemy alone just because she wants to see her loved one smiling again aaaaaw. (but she had a plan, mind you, she didn't charged in stupidly only with the power of love hahahaha)

This story is mainly hers, and not just being told from her POV (well, in most routes at least). And it's incredible how she, an unvoiced MC that you can even turn off her portrait in game (who would do that???), can stand out given that the heroes are awesome as well! Otomate did a good job!

Spoiler

Cardia.(Code:.Realize).full.2181837.png

de06f0d307b6b6f616fa22a359e694ae.png

Cardia.(Code:.Realize).600.2177223.jpg

She changes outfits early in the game, but I love her frilly dress... :kosame:

And now, to contrast with her sweet personality, we have the sarcastic and arrogant (but that often have the power he says he have) Van Helsing. He always have something snarky to say but just try to start talking about food and he'll become dead serious. He can be a bit tsun tsun at times, but that makes him looks even more adorable. His route is one traumatic event after another, what leads the poor guy to reject everyone to not drag his friends into the trouble, but Cardia didn't gave up on him and go help him with the help of the other guys. He's usually grumpy, and that makes his eventual smile all the more precious. Some pics!

Spoiler

tumblr_p1xc3bwsZW1sceh06o2_500.jpg

2015-07-06-143205.jpg?w=550&h=312

tumblr_ocetxzm0lF1v6bs4yo4_500.jpg

Edited by MaggieROBOT

Vote: Roll Again! (Any comment post without a designated vote counts as a Roll Again when we do the drawing)

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

My favorite characters/husbando/couples are usually boys, but since you seem to prefer drawing girls...

You can totally do boy characters! If you want to change your submission, just stick a "Vote: YourNewCharacterOrCoupleSubmission" at the top of your prior post.

For our game, even, we want to do some gay stories further down the road. We've been talking about getting some voice actors involved to handle more male-centric stories, so guys and guy/guy couples are extremely welcome!

And just so it's ultra clear for anyone that follows, we're good with any character, gender or orientation. Will update the OP to make sure it's easy to see.

...I picked my favorite female MC: Cardia, from Code Realize!!!

She changes outfits early in the game, but I love her frilly dress... :kosame:

Aww, she sounds super cute. I love that she takes care of all the boys and wants to keep them happy. And every so often a certain outfit or dress really strikes us. Thank you so much for sharing!

And if you want to pick a boy or a gay couple, that would be just fine too!

I'm having so much fun getting to know everyone's favorite characters! <3

Edited by arosia

Vote: Roll Again! (Any comment post without a designated vote counts as a Roll Again when we do the drawing)

Your original submission is just fine; it doesn't need a vote, but both of your comments could have a:

"Vote: Kotori Kanbe from Rewrite"

...at the top, and it would count as three entries for your submission. That way people can chat/discuss and be active, and have a bit of reward for it (within reason). ;P

This would be rule #4 in the OP!

Edited by arosia

6 hours ago, arosia said:

You can totally do boy characters! If you want to change your submission, just stick a "Vote: YourNewCharacterOrCoupleSubmission" at the top of your prior post.

Aaaaah, I see! I glanced around your OELVN thread and only saw women drawings, so I made this wrong assumption. Oops, sorry. >_<

Actually, I used to draw as a hobby some years ago and I did way more girls than boys because guys are so hard to draw, so I jumped to conclusions hahahaha

Well, I don't want to waste my Cardia entry since I liked her a lot too, and since we have one entry per person, guess I'll just stick my favorite boy from the same game together with her since you do couples! :mare:  (I have to find new pics, I'll probably edit my entry tomorrow)

Vote: Roll Again! (Any comment post without a designated vote counts as a Roll Again when we do the drawing)

Well, I don't want to waste my Cardia entry since I liked her a lot too, and since we have one entry per person, guess I'll just stick my favorite boy from the same game together with her since you do couples!

Sounds perfect! <3

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely! Thank you for this. 9 days left!

And, we have so much news to share about our game; it's undergoing a pretty big change.

We've started streaming every day, and it has exploded for us. We have a pretty big community going atm, and they've been taking all of our time lately. When we do pick a winner, Ivy will be creating the piece on stream! You're welcome to follow along or ask any questions you'd like at:

https://www.twitch.tv/arosiathegame

First, we want to say thank you to everyone who entered the contest. We're grateful that you chose to share with us!

We did the drawing on our twitch stream, and the winner was:

@MaggieROBOT with Cardia from Code Realize and Van Helsing (as a couple).

I want you to know that Miss Ivy is incredibly excited to draw these two together! Congratulations, love!

And here is a clip of the drawing:

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/223655709.mp4#t=13.417433

12 hours ago, arosia said:

First, we want to say thank you to everyone who entered the contest. We're grateful that you chose to share with us!

We did the drawing on our twitch stream, and the winner was:

@MaggieROBOT with Cardia from Code Realize and Van Helsing (as a couple).

I want you to know that Miss Ivy is incredibly excited to draw these two together! Congratulations, love!

And here is a clip of the drawing:

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/223655709.mp4#t=13.417433

AWESOME!!!

My phone is getting a new wallpaper it seems, yaaaaay!!! I can't wait to see the art, thanks for doing this contest and I'm glad to have you and your fresh ideas here on Fuwa!! :sachi: 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to drop by and leave a quick update.

When we set the contest up a month ago--over a month ago!--we were in a very different place. We were looking for some exposure, and some eyeballs, and we had a lot more free time.

Since then, we've shifted the hook of our game from erotic/voiced to community-developed, and we're streaming (and creating) 9 hours a day, 7 days a week! Our poor artist, Ivy, has not had a lot of time to breathe, so it's been challenging to find time to draw this out. I spoke with her this morning, and we settled on putting some time aside each day after stream so she can get this done.

You can expect your prize by May 5th at the latest, @MaggieROBOT; it'll probably be a day or two earlier, even.

Thanks for being so patient with us, and so much love to you all!