Modify a font to put special characters inside a Shift-Jis file

Good evening people!

I am currently translating Demonbane into portuguese, and unfortunately it uses Shift-Jis in all of the text.

And this coding does not accept any of the special characters my language has (ç, á, à, ê, ã, etc).

I have already been told I can modify a font to make another character Shift-Jis accepts to look like one of the special ones above.

Demonbane also lets me change the font in one of its 'sys' files.

Well, the thing is I managed (at least I think I did) to change a few characters to look like the ones I need. I saved the modified font, instaled it and set it in Demonbane configs.

But it simply does not work. I used FontForge to do it.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do this?

Edit: Oh, I tried changing characters in MS Gothic, the game's original font, and also Meiryo, which is pretty much the same as MS Gothic, but none of them worked.

Edited by AstralSword

acho que seu editor está recriando a tabela de glifos da fonte, como as fontes sjis contém uma quantia massiva de caracteres alguns editores de fontes que não tem como alvo as fontes 932 acabam gerando uma nova fonte "corrompida" que pode afetar o reconhecimento de alguns jogos, ou não...
bem, não tenho certeza se é seu caso.
Leve em conta também que é a MS Gothic, tu instalou corretamente a fonte modificada? se tu apenas abriu e deu instalar esse é seu erro, a MS Gothic é uma fonte protegida do sistema, tu não vai conseguir modifica-la tão facilmente.

---
I think your editor is recreating the source glyphs table, as sjis fonts contains a massive amount of characters some font editors that do not target 932 fonts end up generating a new "corrupted" font that may affect the recognition of some games, or not ...
well, I'm not sure if that's your case.
Take into account also that it is MS Gothic, have you correctly installed the modified font? if you just opened and gave install this is your mistake, MS Gothic is a protected system font, you will not be able to modify it so easily.

14 hours ago, marcus-beta said:

acho que seu editor está recriando a tabela de glifos da fonte, como as fontes sjis contém uma quantia massiva de caracteres alguns editores de fontes que não tem como alvo as fontes 932 acabam gerando uma nova fonte "corrompida" que pode afetar o reconhecimento de alguns jogos, ou não...
bem, não tenho certeza se é seu caso.
Leve em conta também que é a MS Gothic, tu instalou corretamente a fonte modificada? se tu apenas abriu e deu instalar esse é seu erro, a MS Gothic é uma fonte protegida do sistema, tu não vai conseguir modifica-la tão facilmente.

---
I think your editor is recreating the source glyphs table, as sjis fonts contains a massive amount of characters some font editors that do not target 932 fonts end up generating a new "corrupted" font that may affect the recognition of some games, or not ...
well, I'm not sure if that's your case.
Take into account also that it is MS Gothic, have you correctly installed the modified font? if you just opened and gave install this is your mistake, MS Gothic is a protected system font, you will not be able to modify it so easily.

En---
The editor I tried to use the first time is a mess. FontForge is no good. At least for this.

Xander actually sent me a custom font of his by PM, and it worked wonders.

But since spanish does not have all the special characters I need, I also installed FontCreator and was able to add the missing ones.

FontCreator is surprinsingly easy to use, so I recommend it deeply in case anyone needs to customize a font like I ended up doing.

Everyone that cared to answer this thread have my sincere thanks, because all the responses were very helpful.

Also, Xander, thanks a bunch again bro. You saved my bacon big time :D

PT---

O editor que tentei de primeira é muito bugado. FontForge não é bom, pelo menos para isso.

O usuário Xander acabou me enviado uma fonte modificada por ele por PM, e deu certinho.

Mas como o espanhol carece alguns caracteres que eu preciso, também instalei o FontCreator e adicionei os que faltavam.

O FontCreator é surpreendentemente fácil de usar, então recomendo-o profundamente caso alguém precise modificar uma fonte da mesma forma que eu fiz.

Agradeço de verdade a todos que se importaram em responder a esse tópico, pois todas as respostas ajudaram muito.

E mais uma vez, Xander, valeu mesmo mano. Você salvou a minha pele muito mesmo :D