How do you study?

Chewy

I've recently started going to a local library to study. I bring my laptop (has the material, unavoidable), its charging cable, and very importantly a pair of bigass headphones to shut the world out with some playlist I've listened to like a hundred times. Apart from olfactory distractions like old men who smell like they've smoked an entire pack of cigarettes in the last 10.3 seconds it's been somewhat effective, though there really are a lot of things that make this either more or less possible.

This is a general advice. When learning, it's important to believe it and like what you're doing (at least, the subjects you're learning).

In high school, I was distracted by videogames and other things and that prevented me from reaching further excellence. I still did good.

You have to believe you can tackle the exam, and that you can integrate the knowledge within yourself. You should value knowledge and its acquisition.

Maybe it's actually boring to learn about the conditions in the 18th century, but it's good knowledge: having a grasp of history is important to being a fine person. Don't disdain anything that you're learning, no thinking "this is so useless!". Better think that everything you have the chance to learn is important, and appreciate it. Better bring a curious attitude and think: "hey, I'm going to learn really interesting things". No knowledge is really useless. If anything, it helps you to acquire further knowledge.

For example, I do little Japanese studying, but since I enjoy the classes, I grasp a lot of words and things from the language.

If learning history, a good approach is "how did that people live, back then?". If learning physics, you can complement it with articles about actual stuff and the applications of physics; those don't readily appear on textbooks, but that way you can see the importance of being familiar with physics. And so on.

When you finally enjoy what you're doing, even if it wears you off, you only need a proper environment to do the studying.

I don't guarantee you'll be the best of the class, but no doubt you can pass no problem if you're investing yourself in what you're learning. Enjoying learning removes some workload, but work (studying) is important, of course. In school, I did little studying until late middle school. I relied in getting things from the actual classes, right on the spot. It worked. I have really good memory however. Learning is best when you're at the top of your dopamine (i. e. adolescence).

• 2 months later...

Always at a library, it's quiet, has quick source both as real books or digital and the other stuff you can do like web research. Then there is the focused mood coming from everyone, when you see other people study and read something it makes you feel to do the same or at least pushes you to do the same. By human nature we copy others to adapt so, in my case I'm the most sleepy person ever that's why staying awake is pretty diffucult especially when I need to study, but places that gives me encouragement makes it a lot easier. 

Edited by cykaki

• 1 month later...

The first question is, "What do I need to study?" That way, I can assess how much time it will take me to go through the material or learn/reinforce what's being taught.

Second question, "Do you understand what you're studying?" If not, ask questions, research, work it out, link it with your past lessons or other fields, etc.

I don't overstudy. Learned it the hard way. I try to prioritize what needs to be done first depending on my mood. I'll go for the easiest if I need a warm-up first and don't want to worry about the small bits later on, or I do the reverse so I have less to worry about. Either way, the best indicator for me, if I'm doing it right, is that I don't feel tired prematurely. If you need to replenish your energy, take a walk. Don't go on the internet because I found it the most distracting thing when I write... unless I need to look up something.

I suggest, with rote learning, you try to memorize things within a set time period (do the Pomodoro Technique if you wish), never longer. Try sensory association if that's possible. Use your emotions if you're memorizing a speech or a poem. I remember things more when I associate them with something significant or anything that I love. It's the reason why you might remember every defendant/killer in Ace Attorney than the names of the bones in the body. Analogy might not check out, but eh. That's what I think anyway.

Oh, and try to sleep at least 6-8 hours. You'll find your brain best functioning within the first few hours of consciousness. If you wake up with a headache, do something else before you start studying.

You can cram if all else fails, but good luck with that bag o' spilling. Sometimes, I live. Other times, I don't.

So the next time you study, set aside time for it and be smart about planning. And get some sleep if you can.