Clockwork Leyline and Hoshimemo: What actually happened!

-soraa

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/a-clockwork-ley-line-a-visual-novel-trilogy/posts/2125462?ref=backer_project_update

Finally a statement what actually happened.

IN A NUTSHELL:

Spoiler

The engine SUCKS!

Hopefully this sort of thing will be better prepared for the future.

Edited by -soraa

5 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

As much as I would love to see Sekai writing an exposé about themselves, I doubt that's what you'd call this update.

Grrrrr. Is it better now? 

Edited by -soraa

1 minute ago, -soraa said:

Grrrrr. Is it better now? 

Yup.  Just thought I'd poke some fun, since I know where you got the title from.

3 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

It was still their fault for releasing it with insufficient QA work done.

This is more akin to paying the piper.

Yeah, I don't really understand why people are accepting this excuse.  It sucks that the engine is crap, but that doesn't excuse pushing a product in that state to release, with Sekai having full knowledge of how borked it was.

>posting workload to justify one's mistakes

>using software updates as a scapegoat for one's lack of professionalism and responsibility

Ah, SP. Never change.

52 minutes ago, -soraa said:

IN A NUTSHELL:

Reveal hidden contents

The engine SUCKS!

Hopefully this sort of thing will be better prepared for the future.

This is clearly a work environment issue. Those guys are just bad at managing their translation projects, lol.

Edited by Narcosis

5 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

Really, their "update" just exposes that they'll release a broken or unfinished VN in the market, make a profit, then take back the VN after complaints are made and "fix" the VN for further profit. As if the blatantness of the post isn't obvious enough.

Are you implying that they get more money by releasing it broken first and fixing it later? How would that even work?

5 minutes ago, ArgentstR said:

Are you implying that they get more money by releasing it broken first and fixing it later? How would that even work?

It's a very practical, but unethical, business scheme employed by most AAA game publishers today to make more money. Sekai Project is basically doing the same thing those publishers are doing, and it has become such a pattern that I would hardly chalk it up as just "incompetence". I know this all too well from experience.

7 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

It's a very practical, but unethical, business scheme employed by most AAA game publishers today to make more money. Sekai Project is basically doing the same thing those publishers are doing, and it hass become such a pattern that I would hardly chalk it up as just "incompetence". I know this all too well from experience.

And how does this scheme work? They aren't selling the fix?

5 minutes ago, ArgentstR said:

And how does this scheme work? They aren't selling the fix?

I've already explained it in my first post here. They release a broken mess of a VN and make a profit out of the customers knowing full well that it's broken. Then, once complaints start circling about the VN, they take it back and make the "fixes", and sell it again, essentially attempting to gouge more money out of the same customers who originally bought it. It's already been said in the "update" that it won't be a simple patch, but a complete re-work on the entire VN engine. If they do sell the fix, it's only going to create further problems.

16 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

They could just have checked it and fixed it after all the bug fixes were done, not having to do it for every bug fix, though I am not a programer so maybe I am wrong and that is impossible

How would you find these bugs even without playing it 100%

22 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

I've already explained it in my first post here. They release a broken mess of a VN and make a profit out of the customers knowing full well that it's broken. Then, once complaints start circling about the VN, they take it back and make the "fixes", and sell it again, essentially attempting to gouge more money out of the same customers who originally bought it. It's already been said in the "update" that it won't be a simple patch, but a complete re-work on the entire VN engine. If they do sell the fix, it's only going to create further problems.

So what you are claiming is that you don't belive they will provide a free patch for the people who bought the game, and instead release a separate V.2 which you have to buy again?
That would indeed be a scummy move, but I very seriously doubt they would do something that ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

Whatever makes you believe that they will sell their fixes? That is absolutely bonkers, and certainly would not fly.

23 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

And alienate even those readers who are still buying their games? :leecher: I don't know, of course, but so far I'm pretty sure that it isn't the case here. Well, time will tell.

4 minutes ago, ArgentstR said:

So what you are claiming is that you don't belive they will provide a free patch for the people who bought the game, and instead release a separate V.2 which you have to buy again?
That would indeed be a scummy move, but I very seriously doubt they would do something that ridiculous.

It IS Sekai Project here. They have done some pretty questionable marketing decisions in the past.

3 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Whatever makes you believe that they will sell their fixes? That is absolutely bonkers, and certainly would not fly.

Until I see for sure that they can improve on their quality for VNs in an honest fashion, I'll continue to believe that they're doing something scummy in the background. I'm noticing a trend with Sekai Project, and I think they would pull a stunt like that.

My gues would be that they confirm that the fixes cost extra, then due to the backlash which they somehow didn't expect they decide to instead release it for free. Not getting the money from the patch but also getting negative rep due to them proposing to sell the fixes for a problem that is their fault. This ofc is a gues based totally on SP's incompitence. This is mostly a joke btw, though considering how they handled the Root double vita release I wouldn't be surprised if this happends.

All this update shows is how Sekai Project is very lazy and doesn't care as much as they should about releasing quality translations. Blaming their engines is only a scapegoat after all. The QC team should've caught these errors before they released the translations and instead, they just look worse than they already did before. I do honestly want them to fix their mistakes, but they keep creating new ones for themselves when their reputation is almost in the gutter as is. Not to mention they fucked up with Leyline, which already has 2 more installments that they have to release. How can I trust any follow up releases after this and their recent reputation with translation quality?