Possible Chance I Might Be Going to College!

Sonicboom2.0

Like I said above, it looks like I might have a chance to go to college to further my education which I'm really excited about. The programs I might be taking are Computer Science and Business Management. Any advice is welcome and I thought I would share with you guys! ^_^

Just now, tahu157 said:

I see you're from Ohio. Are you considering Kent State? That's where I'm studying at the moment.

No, I'm going to Muskingum University. They have a program that accept people with mental disabilities, I have Autism and they're offering full hands-on lessons and tutors.

I'm taking Computer Science as a degree right now. It's fun enough, but I'm in this one class that's just so stupid and pointless to me. 

But before I go complaining about said class, good luck with your university adventure. It'll be hell, but when you get out, it'll feel pretty good. (At least, that's what I hope will happen)

5 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I'm taking Computer Science as a degree right now. It's fun enough, but I'm in this one class that's just so stupid and pointless to me. 

But before I go complaining about said class, good luck with your university adventure. It'll be hell, but when you get out, it'll feel pretty good. (At least, that's what I hope will happen)

Thanks, I actually like school lessons as long as there isn't stupid drama with it.

4 hours ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

I have a dream of opening a anime store in my town where I can sell Anime DVDs and Blu-rays, along with mangas and VNs.

..... well.. 

I can't understand Your dream can be related with your Collage Program... ~ , (ehm, at least Business management can be related  ... perhaps ?  ) 

well, Hope that can be true ~ xD

8 hours ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

I have a dream of opening a anime store in my town where I can sell Anime DVDs and Blu-rays, along with mangas and VNs.

That's not a bad dream... but more and more small otaku-related retail businesses are going bankrupt even in areas with active communities these days.  It is really, really hard to compete with online retailing for the 'base media' (LNs, VNs, manga, anime, etc).  Specializing in importation sometimes works, apparently, but the costs of buying stuff in Japan and bringing it over here mean that you'll end up asking for even more than the Japanese base price, which is already more than most people are willing to pay for a single game, book, manga, or blu-ray. 

You actually might have more success setting up something like a manga cafe, providing a friendly environment for people to play games, read manga and LNs, and otherwise indulge their otaku hobbies.  That kind of thing is rare over here, so far.  Depending on how large the local community is, it would probably be workable for you.  For all the jokes about most of us being 'hikikomori' and the like, most otaku are just normal guys and gals with a few odd hobbies and maybe a bit of weabooism on the side. 

Small note:

Spoiler

Aaah... I don't really want to say this, but depending on what area of Ohio you live in, there are actually sheriffs and police who enforce 'blue laws' relating to vulgarity.  I'd suggest checking out what kind of such laws are out there before deciding whether to incorporate VNs/eroge into your business. 

11 hours ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

I wish you best of luck for your dream, but be careful how you approach it. I once met a guy who opened an anime store in the city I live in, and unfortunately, he had to close it permanently just a few months after opening because of management costs. If you can find a way to handle the costs, then you should be fine.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

That's not a bad dream... but more and more small otaku-related retail businesses are going bankrupt even in areas with active communities these days.  It is really, really hard to compete with online retailing for the 'base media' (LNs, VNs, manga, anime, etc).  Specializing in importation sometimes works, apparently, but the costs of buying stuff in Japan and bringing it over here mean that you'll end up asking for even more than the Japanese base price, which is already more than most people are willing to pay for a single game, book, manga, or blu-ray. 

You actually might have more success setting up something like a manga cafe, providing a friendly environment for people to play games, read manga and LNs, and otherwise indulge their otaku hobbies.  That kind of thing is rare over here, so far.  Depending on how large the local community is, it would probably be workable for you.  For all the jokes about most of us being 'hikikomori' and the like, most otaku are just normal guys and gals with a few odd hobbies and maybe a bit of weabooism on the side. 

Small note:

Hide contents

Aaah... I don't really want to say this, but depending on what area of Ohio you live in, there are actually sheriffs and police who enforce 'blue laws' relating to vulgarity.  I'd suggest checking out what kind of such laws are out there before deciding whether to incorporate VNs/eroge into your business. 

Thanks for the ideas they sound great, I do want a friendly place for anime fans to gather and be able to discuss anime related subjects without feeling judged. I'll consider the cafe idea. I was also thinking of shooting for a Crunchyroll partnership since they know how to get anime products. I was also thinking of asking a friend of mind that likes to make cosplay outfits to see if she'd like to try sowing for me.

1 hour ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

I wish you best of luck for your dream, but be careful how you approach it. I once met a guy who opened an anime store in the city I live in, and unfortunately, he had to close it permanently just a few months after opening because of management costs. If you can find a way to handle the costs, then you should be fine.

Thank you, I really want to make my business a success.