Mahoyo/Mahoutsukai no Yoru/Witch on the Holy Night Translation [Chapter 1 & 1.5 COMPLETE!]

Colliflowa

• 3 weeks later...

I......

I'm not dead. But Christmas is almost here. Let's focus on that instead! Celebrate the holidays, be with family and friends, cheer and welcome the New Year btw this visual novel takes place in 1988 and Christmas Day was on a Sunday truly befitting a day when blue sparkles became a thing in the Typeverse hahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry this keeps happening everybody :badnicoman:

Let's face reality.. People don't honor their commitments these days and its only going to get worse.. True, not all commitments lead to riches, that doesn't mean you don't have to honor them as a matter of principle.. After all.. Can you expect others to do the same if you don't ? You deserve only the world you create.

IF you want to really read this novel, learn japanese.. Sure it sounds impossible, but trust me you have all the time in the world or at least the rest of your life however long that is, so get to it chop chop ! Don't rely on people for something you can permanently solve yourself..

I've been waiting for Mahoyo for like 3 years. If it comes to it, I'll jump onto translating Mahoyo only as a script using rudimentary Japanese knowledge and online dictionaries just so I can get the lore finally; then just release what I've got as a draft so someone else can handle the rest if they want.

I really don't understand why people like Mcjon or Herkz from Commiesubs don't just release the script so we have a basis for others to start from if they want to do a full game translation. It's not like they're gaining anything by keeping the draft to themselves.

Edited by ignorantoftheshow

2 minutes ago, ignorantoftheshow said:

I've been waiting for Mahoyo for like 3 years. If it comes to it, I'll jump onto translating Mahoyo only as a script using rudimentary Japanese knowledge and online dictionaries just so I can get the lore finally; then just release what I've got as a draft so someone else can handle the rest if they want.

I really don't understand why people like Mcjon or Herkz from Commiesubs don't just release the script so we have a basis for others to start from if they want to do a full game translation. It's not like they're gaining anything by keeping the draft to themselves.

The stuff Mcjon has translated are avaible as a partial patch, so it's not like he's "keeping it to himself".

5 minutes ago, ArgentstR said:

The stuff Mcjon has translated are avaible as a partial patch, so it's not like he's "keeping it to himself".

While true, I'd wager there's something drafted for the fabled Chapter 8, or am I mistaken? It's been like 2 years since Ch. 7 was released, so I figured there would be something at least.

EDIT: I should note I'm not speaking in animosity towards Mcjon, I just honestly figured they would have something done for Ch. 8 that's been unreleased within the span of 2 years. Commiesubs, however, doesn't get any sympathy.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:31 PM, NowItsAngeTime said:

How dare a free translation for a VN I'm going to pirate isn't coming sooner than I wanted. No sympathy!!!

The reason I don't have sympathy isn't because "WAH, I WANT THING", but because I've repeatedly asked Herkz over the years in the Mahoyo comments and gotten "The editor doesn't want to give up the project, but also isn't doing anything with the project because *shrug*, so the entire script will stay locked on a hard drive for no reason" as a response for two years straight. I would have loved to edit it and get something released. Even if not the whole game translated (graphics and all), but just a rough script. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. And this is besides the fact that they still claim to have a full script when there was big scandal a few years back that they actually lost the entire script or something to that effect, which Commiesubs denied. Well, it's been quite a while since, and with nothing to show for it, they are either purposely forcing the project into hiatus so no one will be able to finish it or they just plain don't have anything to show for all these years due to possibly losing their work but are too proud to admit it. Forgive me for not showing the utmost respect to them even when I've wanted to try and help.

I could be an asshole about this and be snippy with you, but the fact is it's I'm too sad. Sad that things keep turning out this way for the one VN that I've actually been interested in for the past three years. But I suppose I should just shut up and know my place as a good-for-nothing pirate. :|

I'd like to not make this into a bitching thread, so I leave it at that. Good luck, izzeybee.

28 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Why on earth is this not getting officially picked up? Fans are clamoring somewhat desperately for it and translators are failing left and right. It's the perfect visual novel to pick up officially.

Most likely, because Type-Moon don't want it to be officially picked up.

I just assume that probably Type Moon was still busy with their FGO, and that they estimated the cost for localizing Mahoyo here might be not worth the effort to do it. Same goes with the reason of why they still didn't have Tsukihime remake (That recently celebrate 10 years of the announcement) or write the rest of Mahoyo, which once again thanks to FGO (You know that it's very successful when a man managed to waste around US$ 4,000 in order to get two particular servants from FGO and trapped in the debt because of that, and I'm sure that there's a lot of people who like to spent money in order to get one of their particular servants).

On 12/27/2018 at 6:16 PM, Bogdan said:

Can somebody reupload the installation instructions because I can't see those images.

There is this french guide here if it can help you :

http://archetype-moon.fr/guide-type-moon here in the Mahoutsukai section to get the links to download the game

http://archetype-moon.fr/installer-mahotsukai-no-yoru-sur-windows-10 here a guide on how to make it work.

Tho it may vary a bit from what's here since they didn't need to use a specific font with their patch

17 hours ago, Killua69100 said:

Just passing by to say good job ! Also, not sure if it can help you in any way, but the french translation is now complete, the final patch will be released in a  few days (the previous patch had 98% of the story).

Hang in there ^^

Well, i guess any machine translation will be a lot more accurate from french to english tjan japanese.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:50 PM, sawada91 said:

I don't understand why can't people translate from that since it's completed already

I'd think that someone who will go throuh all the effort to translate the game wouldn't want to end up with a bad second-hand translation after all his effort ? (Yes the fandom can be pretty harsh when it comes to it, just see the KnK translation and you'll find for yourself). Not to mention that maybe said person can't trust the quality of the translation ? 

I totally get what you mean, it is indeed frustrating since french is much more accessible than Japanese, but that doesn't mean that a translation from French is a good idea. 

If only I had the time I would def do a translation of it, or at least a playthrough where I translate to English Live. But unfortunately with 11 hours of class per day, finding time to sleep is already a challenging task ...

• 4 weeks later...

As most people point out, translating is a tough job. But the real hurdle is the quality and accuracy of it, and I might be the worst person to rely on for you guys, because of my perfectionist streak/complex which is the primary source of my frustration everytime I look back on what I did, and right now I'm being like "wth was I thinking!?"

There's also issues with the currently released chapters. I won't take the links down or anything, but I will update once/if I get to it :pogchamp:

Thanks for your patience, guys. It means a lot.

As for those who want to translate it themselves, by all means. It doesn't hurt to pick up Japanese as a skill. :sachi: