Mahoyo/Mahoutsukai no Yoru/Witch on the Holy Night Translation [Chapter 1 & 1.5 COMPLETE!]

Colliflowa

Mahoutsukai no Yoru / Witch on the Holy Night

vnhXBwf.png

System Requirements:

CPU: Pentinum4 over 1GHz (recommended some CPU around 2.66GHz)
RAM: More than 1GB
HDD: 5GB
Resolution: 1024×576 pixels or higher screen
Optical drive: DVD-ROM drive that supports dual-layer
DirectX 9.0

First, I'd like to apologize for the long wait, and your patience was rewarded, with perhaps a much steadier stream of updating from now on [hopefullly!].
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROGRESS:

Chapters 1 to 6 - translation complete
Chapters 1 to 1.5 - patched and ready to go

GAME INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Spoiler

ZwhmyWS.png
dIOJGKF.png
syqnMYa.png
lkI8v50.png
F7QyqAF.png
zADInH2.png
D0ZTbHv.png

Remember to change System Locale in the Region settings to Japanese.

PATCH INSTALLATION: MAHOYO patch + Aolight font download

W5bStWJ.png

FONT AOLIGHT IS REQUIRED ALONGSIDE THE PATCH (PLEASE INSTALL INTO PC BEFORE RUNNING THE GAME)

Aolight is a modified version of Aozora Mincho Regular. I tweaked it so that the text could be properly displayed in the game, because the space for each letter in-game is displayed inside an invisible rectangle that cuts off the letters when they're italicized and need more spacing in their letter display. Make sure you have it selected at the game's Change Font menu. The wordwrap is tailored specifically to this font and anything else besides this will not work.

Spoiler

I0Tm0zE.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all of these fan attempts, one fan patch, and Commie's silence on their entire Mahoyo project........here's my attempt, with the objective being: to finish it!

A modern-day teen witch becomes friends with an old-fashioned teen witch, and meets a boy hailing from the incredibly rural mountainside. And with that, the magic begins.

4ubczSo.gif

...Polishing it to a nice sheen with respects to its own gem of just your typical slice of life shoujo with a heaping whopper of magic thrown in so dazzling we have to stop and admire the assembly of a spectacular lightshow presented in visual novel format. Thanks Kirikiri! *heaves, out of breath*

In all seriousness: I have always loved this linear yet beautiful visual novel, so happened to be published by the company that released Tsukihime and the more renowned Fate/stay Night. It was a surprise to see that for once, this was for all ages. Not only is it pretty in visual terms (and I mean the art has improved), but the music is just fluid and breath-taking when accompanying the story. Props to Hideki Fukasawa, it's like the VN was made for his music. Or is it the other way around??

Let it not be said that creator and co-founder of Type Moon, Kinoko Nasu, doesn't drop a few ero jokes regarding Mahoyo. Maybe at some point, I'll share his comments going through the script files, cause it can get laugh out loud funny what he inserts for every semicolon.

The only person on this ship is its captain, and the captain sure likes to do all of the ff:

1) Translation
2) Accuracy check
3) Proofread
4) Edit
5) Code

Credits for presenting a workaround on the wordwrapping/page count problem and pointing out where the game titles are goes to frc_ :sacchan: Thanks much, man!

Edited by izzeybee

Just now, Infernoplex said:

I wish you all the luck of this world to see this one through.

Thanks! :) I swear to make this patch work!

It's one of the most requested translations out there at the moment :) 

Seriously?? I figured it just dropped from everyone's radar after Commie announced their hiatus (editing problems I think). But I do hope to make the project yield all of Mahoyo's charm points, hehe.

1 hour ago, izzeybee said:

Seriously?? I figured it just dropped from everyone's radar after Commie announced their hiatus (editing problems I think). But I do hope to make the project yield all of Mahoyo's charm points, hehe.

I didn't get that impression. I think the VN is still fairly popular and from time to time I still see Mahoyo requested on random corners of the Internet.

I've been waiting for a translation of this ever since I started reading VNs four years ago, haha. Fingers crossed you can finish translating the entirety of this cursed thing. It is very admirable that you're willing to do everything yourself, but don't hesitate to enlist the help of a few others if need be. Another proofreader or two never hurts, at the very least.

Thank you, and good luck!

14 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I literally stopped hoping for this game to ever be translated years ago. :leecher:

Anyway, good luck with your project! I hope to see this finished one day. :)

Hoping for a fan TL to finish was a mistake to begin with. You see, the method I use is to not really care and if a fan TL gets released, then you can be excited.

It's the only reason why I haven't gone insane from paying attention to the Amagami and Yosuga no Sora translations.

23 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Hoping for a fan TL to finish was a mistake to begin with. You see, the method I use is to not really care and if a fan TL gets released, then you can be excited.

It's the only reason why I haven't gone insane from paying attention to the Amagami and Yosuga no Sora translations.

Yeah, I learned my lesson since then. Well, of course I still wish and hope for the projects like this to succeed, but don't get me wrong, I'll only believe that's it's going to be finished when it's actually finished.

Edit. Hmm, it got a bit confusing, I think. Basically, I follow fan-tl's I'm interested in and I logically wish them to succeed, but I never really get excited about them anymore. And, I apologize, this is probably not the best place to post about that.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Unfortunately, me and the rest of the Mahoyo fanbase pushed the not-really-care method a little too hard, and once it actually became clear that nobody has the gumption to finish the entire VN, translators decided to just glean from the important portions of Mahoyo (e.g. definition of magic, Aoko's magic, spoiler stuff, etc)

5 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, I learned my lesson since then. Well, of course I still wish and hope for the projects like this to succeed, but don't get me wrong, I'll only believe that's it's going to be finished when it's actually finished.

I know exactly how you feel, trust me. :lol: I wouldn't have submitted this if I was just going to quit halfway, so no fear. Or fear, for reverse psychology's sake!

Good luck to the project, and hopefully this time the curse that Mahoyo will never get translated is broken. That said, I still view this as the first part of the trilogy though, so I'm not quite interested with this for now.

PS - As for Commie, let's just said that right now it's already dead because Herkz said that the editing chance was at 0% ie never.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this become the 4th, 5th? Mahoyo translation project? :wahaha:

On 2018-02-28 at 5:08 PM, izzeybee said:

It did make it on Mangagamers 2017 licensing survey: NSFW possibly.

44 minutes ago, ArgentstR said:

Does this become the 4th, 5th? Mahoyo translation project? :wahaha:

It did make it on Mangagamers 2017 licensing survey: NSFW possibly.

So did VNs like Muramasa and Fate/Stay Night, which are either locked up by JAST or aren't gonna happen for a long time.

Plus, we have no clue if Mangagamer actually tries and gets these licenses on their surveys. It's mainly just a fan response thing at this point.

I at least need to show wth I was doing for two weeks as proof that I'm not getting lazy. One was word-wrapping the text, two was editing my past mistakes, and three was the interface as shown below.

nIPNW2X.png

At the very least, it's really the interface that's giving me trouble b/c pictures. Word-wrap on kirikiri is a problem in of itself but I found a workaround. :) Everything is fine, folks, the delay is just me being a clumsy newbie.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 5:09 PM, izzeybee said:

I at least need to show wth I was doing for two weeks as proof that I'm not getting lazy. One was word-wrapping the text, two was editing my past mistakes, and three was the interface as shown below.

nIPNW2X.png

At the very least, it's really the interface that's giving me trouble b/c pictures. Word-wrap on kirikiri is a problem in of itself but I found a workaround. :) Everything is fine, folks, the delay is just me being a clumsy newbie.

So uh. Is this project still going on? Or as usual? The dates and reply content doesn't seem to match. 

Edited by Ao_Tsuki

I don't know if you're still trying to do this but there's already a patch by McJon on nrvnqsr.com that translates chapters 1-7. There's no way you wouldn't know about this so have tried contacting him to see if you guys can't work something out? The thread is here: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/34-Mahoutsukai-no-Yoru-Chapter-7-patch-released-(no-spoilers-past-the-patch)

If you want to or have to translates from scratch than I have absolutely no hopes of this ever getting done.

Oh right, there is also another guy on that thread that is trying to finish the translation, maybe you can work something out with him as well. Sure, it might not be the best to have different parts translated by different people but as long as the translations themselves are decent enough, it sure as hell beats nothing.

Edited by BobJones2

• 2 months later...

Wow, where does the time go?

The last thing I updated was the interface of the config menu and the text display, which I'm still struggling to polish. Because my work started off terrible. And the process got halted for the past few months all because of some water damage to my enter key (the number 2 most needed key on the keyboard, runner-up to the spacebar!), so yes, much delay was made due to this and for that I am truly sorry. The keyboard's fine, the files are fine, and the translation is not being hampered by puzzling Japanese pictographs here and there, more like it's going slowly from an almost self-hate from being so bad at it 2 years ago (so I'm fixing the mess I made), and because I'm making sure that I didn't make goofy errors on how the buttons now look after I tinkered with the text. Until next update, guys??? :blink: