Input About Doing a Contest Here on Fuwa

arosia

Preface

So, I sent a message to someone at Fuwa about a week ago, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I thought it might be good to open this idea up to any active moderators, and possibly the whole community as well!

I really, really like Fuwa. I'm active--for marketing purposes--in like 12-15 different places, but I've come to consider Fuwa our home. You guys are just so amazing and sweet, and I really love this community a lot.

The Contest Idea

We were thinking of doing a contest/giveaway, where people could post their favorite anime character (no OCs), with some visual reference and maybe a little bit about why they love that character.

And every 1-2 months (depending on activity), we could maybe pick a winner (method to be determined) and Ivy Fetish could do a custom painting that the winner would be free to use as an avatar if they'd like.

DanisTheServantGirl_700x701.png

Questions

Is this something that fits here on Fuwa?

Can we host it here? Do you guys mind if we direct people here (from other places) to participate?

Does it sound fun/interesting?

What would be a good way to pick someone to draw for?

---

We'd really like to do this (or something similar), but we want to be super respectful towards this awesome community. We really like it here.

Thanks again for the input!

Edited by arosia

Nice! Thank you for that reference.

I hope people would be willing to participate. Hopefully the "ask" is pretty easy and fun to fulfill. You just have to talk about your favorite VN character.

And the reward is a piece of free, custom art.

Solidbatman did have some fantastic rewards, though!

Thank you again for the input, @Darklord Rooke!

As a simple member of this place,

I think this contest would fit [why wouldn't it? its a nice idea]. Yes its definitely fun and might i say, interesting...:makina:, its also a smart way to publicise your game. I mean its pretty interesting to see a character you like drawn in a different art style by a pro. There's this sense of adventure :)

Maybe broaden the scope to anime/Vn/manga characters. About picking an entry, set a limit, their world count to 100 words and 2 images minimum or maximum, up to you. Since you guys started it, you'll should pick the winner. Don't put it up to polls since it might create some negativity among people that see their characters or post get shafted by the community, also trolls could torpedo the polls, its possible.

Maybe the criteria's could relate to a character from your Vn, for example, say you have a proactive, clumsy but intelligent protagonist in your Vn, and you want to see if people hve characters with similar characteristics from different mediums that they like. Why did they like them?, heck if a lot of people participate you might even get more idea to what people enjoy to supplement your own writing. 

About participation, you're active in 12-15 places right? it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway you can just send messages and see if people would be interested in participating before starting the contest. How many people would you like to pull in? whats the purpose of the contest? if its to generate interest in your Vn, how far are you willing to go? are forums enough? should you send out messages about the contest to people that write about adult gaming? If it's just on a whim and for fun than participation count shouldn't matter too much :sachi:.

You could just select entries that aligned best with what you were looking for, it is your contest after all. Just be clear and concise with what you're looking for in the contest, and your answers to why you liked the entries you choose.

Okay this turned into a long post lol, sorry! just throwing idea's at you. Good luck! [your marketing is working, i'll go check out your site now ;)].

Edited by DharmaFreedom

1 hour ago, DharmaFreedom said:

As a simple member of this place,

I think this contest would fit [why wouldn't it? its a nice idea]. Yes its definitely fun and might i say, interesting...:makina:, its also a smart way to publicise your game. I mean its pretty interesting to see a character you like drawn in a different art style by a pro. There's this sense of adventure :)

I really appreciate all of your input.

I like Fuwa a lot, and it seems like it is very much your home as well. You spend a lot of time here, so it's important that we are very respectful of the forums and all of the wonderful community members.

It's definitely partly a marketing thing, but it's also about having fun and engaging with people. I know I love when she creates art for me, and we thought it would be fun to share that experience with other people.

1 hour ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Maybe broaden the scope to anime/Vn/manga characters. About picking an entry, set a limit, their world count to 100 words and 2 images minimum or maximum, up to you. Since you guys started it, you'll should pick the winner. Don't put it up to polls since it might create some negativity among people that see their characters or post get shafted by the community, also trolls could torpedo the polls, its possible.

Maybe the criteria's could relate to a character from your Vn, for example, say you have a proactive, clumsy but intelligent protagonist in your Vn, and you want to see if people hve characters with similar characteristics from different mediums that they like. Why did they like them?, heck if a lot of people participate you might even get more idea to what people enjoy to supplement your own writing.

I think we'd be cool with doing whatever you guys liked best (in terms of doing anime/manga characters). We did think that VNs are pretty special and unique to this community, and that it would be neat to do VN characters that people really like and relate to.

We could pick winners, but we were thinking that some kind of randomized winner might be better. So for 1-2 months, a thread would be open. Everyone who was interested could post their favorite character (and multiple people could choose the same character), and then at the end, we'd close that thread. We'd pick a winner randomly, and then Ivy Fetish would do the illustration and the winner could use it (as an avatar, or for a website/signature, etc.)

And if people are having fun with it, we could keep doing it, and she could create a new piece--for a new winner--every few months.

One thing I really, really love about the idea is that it kind of doubles as a, "What's your favorite character" thread, which I'd love to read.

2 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

About participation, you're active in 12-15 places right? it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway you can just send messages and see if people would be interested in participating before starting the contest. How many people would you like to pull in? whats the purpose of the contest? if its to generate interest in your Vn, how far are you willing to go? are forums enough? should you send out messages about the contest to people that write about adult gaming? If it's just on a whim and for fun than participation count shouldn't matter too much.

That's really up to the forums. We would be happy just doing it with the community members here.

If the Fuwa community would like some more publicity, we'd be more than happy to encourage people to come here to participate in the thread. But I could also understand not wanting a bunch of people you don't know very well stomping through the forums (i.e. your home).

I think the biggest thing is that we really want to do this, but we want to be as respectful as possible. Your input is super helpful!

And thanks again, love, for taking a peek at the game.

41 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

A contest sounds good and I usually gush about my favorite characters for free regardless so it would be cool to potentially get something out of it.

As I'm out of likes, I'll just verbally support this statement. ;) Considering the idea behind the contest and the reward in offer it should get some attention. I'm into many fairly obscure VNs and I'm a sucker for fan-art, I'd probably be willing to write a whole thesis to see some of these characters drawn by someone this talented... If I wasn't broke all the time I would probably commission people on deviantART to draw my favourite yuri couples on a regular basis. :chaika:

Right... @arosia, would you consider allowing couples beside single characters? I think it would also fit the theme of your game quite well. ;)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Right... @arosia, would you consider allowing couples beside single characters? I think it would also fit the theme of your game quite well. ;)

Haha! You are super clever @Plk_Lesiak. I asked Ivy and she said that she would be very interested in doing couples for you guys! <3

Edited by arosia

I think everything sounds really good so far.

Quick summary of current ideas

- Post your favorite VN character/couple (no OCs)

- Include reference pictures and why you like them

CreepySummerWitch_400x399.png

Picking the winner

- We'll do a max post count (200?) and a time limit (1 month?); the moment either of those is reached, we'll end the contest

- We'll do some form of random selection for the winner; probably using post numbers

- All replies count as an extra entry for the OP of a character/couple; please quote the author in your replies/discussion and try not to excessively bump your own entries

- The winner can use the image as an avatar/signature or on their website(s)

- Everyone else gets to enjoy some free fan art and gets to meet some cool new VN characters!

Other thoughts

- We should keep this Fuwa-only, at least for the first contest (to work out kinks)

- If everyone enjoys this, we'll do more rounds of the contest down the line (maybe every 2 months or so?); if you don't win the first time, you'll eventually get another chance

- We'll throw a quick link to our game in the OP, but once the thread gets started, we'd like to become a bit more invisible; we want this to feel intimate and fun; make this about your favorite VNs and the characters you love!

- If anyone has any more thoughts or suggestions on how to do this, please share them! We to make this very community-centric.

Unless something comes up, we'll start this up on March 5th (next Monday)!

WitchTreeBook_WIP_2018_02_27_600x474.png

Edited by arosia