Crying machine

Silvz

Guys, I tried to read SonoHana but the original series wasn't my thing. I do intend to play New Generation and Maidens, but in the future.

There has been a long time since I don't cry with a VN or a book, the last being, I think, AIR, by KEY.

I want to read a story that REALLY makes you cry (no Umineko joke here), with exception of Key novels and the basic ones, such as Narcissu, which everybody has read.

It needs to be translated, and I'm asking for recommendations because I want someone who can garantee that it is a true nakige. I don't trust ~some~ tags on VNDB.

I'm surprised you'd go for SonoHana out of all things, considering you're looking for something more emotional. Did you perhaps confuse the "nukige" term with "nakige"?

I had a look at your VNDB list (you might want to fix the link in your profile, by the way), and I have to say you've already read a good portion of the more emotional VNs I've also read. From what you haven't, though, you might find the following noteworthy: Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, Grisaia no Kajitsu (if you can get past the large doses of comedy content) and Hoshizora no Memoria.

Unfortunately, none of these might be what you're looking for (although I would recommend Sharin no Kuni nonetheless), so you might want to consider replies from other users first. That aside, here are a few more VNs I've heard good things about and are currently in my wishlist:

I cannot really vouch for these since I haven't played them yet, and I only vaguely know they might get more emotional. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, especially since you probably already heard of most of these by now, but I hope there's at least one VN to catch your interest among these.

Edited by URV

4 minutes ago, URV said:

I'm surprised you'd go for SonoHana out of all things, considering you're looking for something more emotional. Did you perhaps confuse the "nukige" term with "nakige"?

I had a look at your VNDB list (you might want to fix the link in your profile, by the way), and I have to say you've already read a good portion of the more emotional VNs I've also read. From what you haven't, though, you might find the following noteworthy: Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, Grisaia no Kajitsu (if you can get past the large doses of comedy content) and Hoshizora no Memoria.

Unfortunately, none of these might be what you're looking for (although I would recommend Sharin no Kuni nonetheless), so you might want to consider replies from other users first. That aside, here are a few more VNs I've heard good things about and are currently in my wishlist:

I cannot really vouch for these since I haven't played them yet, and I only vaguely know they might get more emotional. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, especially since you probably already heard of most of these by now, but I hope there's at least one VN to catch your interest among these.

You definitely have to get to reading Himawari and Fata Morgana. Both VNs are great.

Well whether you'll crying or not it's depend on your personal feeling, so unfortunately I couldn't offer any VN that will certainly make your cry very hard. That say, I can still suggest some well known VN and whether it'll make you cry or not, I'll let you to find out by yourself. As for my recommendation I'll recommend Seabed, eden, and Suika. Hope my recommendations will be help.

Depends on what makes you cry. Whether it's super depressing stuff, themes which tug at the heartstrings, or super heroic awesome moments.

I know you said no KEY suggestions ...... but Clannad will seriously make you cry, many times. Half of it was due to to the awesome music.

Otherwise, Grisaia no Kajitsu packs an emotional wallop at times too. Grisaia was the first time I ever cried while playing a game. The extra long common route, and it's colorful quirky characters, and comedy being ramped upto 11, only makes the darker moments stand out even more in contrast. And then there's the bad endings....

Some other potential tearjerkers (I havn't read any of these yet)....

* Himawari https://vndb.org/v210 .

* Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~ https://vndb.org/v3144 . I've heard this one gets particularly dark, and isn't for the faint of heart...

* Saya no Uta https://vndb.org/v97 . Something on the horror side....

* Enigma https://vndb.org/v18315 .

I've also heard To the Moon is a serious tearjerker. It's not a visual novel, but it's a short purely story driven game regardless. There's also it's sequel Finding Paradise...

15 hours ago, Silvz said:

I should update my list more, since I've already read all of those, except Grisaia.

Well, I personally wouldn't recommend Grisaia if you are looking for a tearjerker. Grisaia is definitely a good VN, but I wouldn't compare the quality of its 'feels' moments to a lot of other VN's mentioned here. Well, people may disagree with me, of course.

I think, you've already read all emotional VN's I could recommend, so no VN recommendations from me.

11 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

I've also heard To the Moon is a serious tearjerker.

Well, it's not a VN, but it's still a very good suggestion, actually. I'd say, it's pretty much comparable in quality of emotional moments to Key's works, and it's a pretty well constructed classical adventure game, and it's drama is much more down to Earth than in many VN's. So, yeah. :makina:

5 hours ago, Thyndd said:

You see my avatar? Read that. eden* made me cry like a bitch. Plus, the love story of the only two people left in the world doesn't sound like the most romantic thing ever?

Not necessarily, you should read the Silent Towns by Ray Bradbury

Oh it might take you a while to get to it but the ending to Katahane really made me cry when I first read it

If you're from Brazil, I'm guessing you speak Portuguese? All the more reason for you to try Fata Morgana, since the music lyrics are mostly in Portuguese.  I definitely have to give it a 4th recommendation. It's not just a tragedy-fest either, since it has many moving scenes and amazing character/plot progressions.

EDIT: I can't see your VNDB list, link is broken for me. Maybe you've already read HiFM.

Edited by PiggiesGoMoo
Added bit about not being able to see his VNDB

3 hours ago, URV said:

Here's his VNDB profile. Once again, you might want to fix this, @Silvz. You need to change "ID 70429" to "70429".

Also, keep in mind it's not up-to-date, as he previously stated. It should give a rough idea on most of what he's read so far, though.

Thank you so, so much! It's my bad that my list is so incomplete. Whenever I try to update it, I simply forget some minor games I played. And I didn't know about the link, thanks!

Grisaia no Kajitsu has two routes that are basically nakige formula: Sachi's and Michiru's. You could argue for Amane's but I'd put that in a different category.

You don't have ONE listed, and you might not know about it. Technically not Key~

Kira☆Kira has some nakigeish stuff as well in some routes.

LEAVEs probably qualifies, though you might hate me for the rec later if you don't like how the ending is handled.

17 hours ago, Zakamutt said:

Grisaia no Kajitsu has two routes that are basically nakige formula: Sachi's and Michiru's. You could argue for Amane's but I'd put that in a different category.

You don't have ONE listed, and you might not know about it. Technically not Key~

Kira☆Kira has some nakigeish stuff as well in some routes.

LEAVEs probably qualifies, though you might hate me for the rec later if you don't like how the ending is handled.

'Nakigeish' is putting it lightly for Kira Kira. It gets straight up evil and soul crushing at points.

^Fair enough, that's why I said nakigeish - not undershooting the mark, but overshooting it. Nakige is about catharsis after all, and sometimes in Kira Kira, it goes beyond that :P

He listed Narcissu tho so it should be fine (though Narcissu didn't really make me cry much)