[SPOILERS] Spoiled to a death in Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Should I still watch it?

mitchhamilton

so, yeah. fmab is considered one of the best animes of all time. I have no clue what its about or anything but one little detail. the death of a certain character. now before i go on, let me just say who it is to get it out of the way. so spoilers!

The character is someone who has a wife and kid and carries a picture of them around while hoping to get back home to them. one night, i think while at a phone booth, he is ambushed by someone who takes the look of his wife. he is unable to shoot her and she instead shoots and kills him. is this a major deal?

i really dislike spoilers, and i must say ive been staying away from anything related to fmab because of all the hype surrounding it in hopes of watching it one day myself and maybe forgetting about this characters death, no such luck, im afraid. time is proving to not erase this characters death from my mind and i feel like watching it but am just wondering before going in, should i be hung up on this characters death?

9 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

I haven't watched FMAB, but from what I've heard, it's really, REALLY good. Part of the reason is because it's a straight adaptation of the original manga, unlike the first anime adaptation, or so I've been told anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah it really is. The first one kept to it up to a certain point till they took it in a much different direction. Brotherhood follows it to a T, which is great because the manga is outstanding.

I watched the entirety of the original FMA anime and read most of the manga, and I can assure you, the death of the character you're referring to in no way ruins the overall story.  In fact, that's where it picks up.  It's a bit of a bummer that you already know that a certain character dies, as it's supposed to be a pretty hard-hitting moment, but it's definitely still worth watching.

6 minutes ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

I haven't watched FMAB, but from what I've heard, it's really, REALLY good. Part of the reason is because it's a straight adaptation of the original manga, unlike the first anime adaptation, or so I've been told anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, that's 100% correct.  The first anime overtook the manga and started ass-pulling like crazy.  It doesn't even end the same way.  Brotherhood is a straight adaptation, other than skipping the first part of the story, which can be fixed by watching the beginning of the first anime.

12 hours ago, littleshogun said:

The death of that character is basically happen at the beginning. So my recommendation is still just watch it, and more if you basically just spoiled in regard of the character death. I mean as long as you just spoiled in that one twist (The character death), it's still fine. Have fun.

yeah, luckily thats all i know about it after all these years.

• 4 years later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:54 PM, Ranzo said:

Yes, of course watch the bloody thing! Honestly, his death is where the story opens up. It's serves as the catalyst for the rest of the anime. Besides, it's hardly a huge spoiler in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Rewathcing the show and for sure it's the catalyst. 

It's cool to see how smart that character was on my second viewing.