How do you read VNs?

Plk_Lesiak

21 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

...I personally try to avoid sitting when reading VNs as much as possible, because my earlier habit of obsessive gameplay sessions was pretty heavy on my back. Whenever I can I actually try... Exercise, while the VN goes on autoplay. I have a punching bag in my room and I must look like the biggest weirdo on Earth hitting it while looking at the screen with cute anime girls on it... But it actually helped me get slightly more in-shape and, most importantly, get rid of back pain most on the time.

So, how do you guys play your VNs? Do you have any workarounds to avoid excessive sitting when reading them? Or simply you don't do it enough to feel negative side effects? 

I do the same thing. I spend a lot of time working, so I don't get a chance to play or watch things all that often. Maybe 2-3 hours a day max.

I actually love to dance, so I tend to dance and do a lot of other maintenance type of things while watching videos; sometimes they're games and I've been watching a lot more let's plays of VNs lately.

I like buying and supporting developers (especially smaller devs and indie devs), but for me it's so much nicer to be able to experience most of the game without having to tie up my fingers and hands.

It makes exercise something to look forward to; a time to relax and indulge in fun experiences.

Thanks again for the excellent topic/discussion. Going to read through all the other replies now.

Yes, I read them sitting. The secret? Reduced playing sessions, around 10 hours a week, no marathons. Isn't it common sense?

In fact, playing Baldur's Gate is worse. The games are so immersive and usually I play long sessions, so my neck hurts a bit, and I start seeing character sprites when I close my eyes.

So this thread, and the talk of exercising and as well as the wonderful review blog by @Plk_Lesiak have all inspired me to create my own VN blog!

It's super, super quirky, and it involves watching streamers play VNs while exercising. Super crazy, but I just could not pass up the idea once it popped into my head.

You can check it out here on Fuwa at: 

...or you can visit the very simple site I set up for it at: http://reviews.arosiathegame.com/

I started with Cupid (because of the latest review and I wanted to get into it) and I chose a little streamer named Bumblebeary as my first victim...err, streamer!

I used to read VN's whilst sitting at my computer, but lately I've changed it to laying in my bed and letting it run in auto to a speed I can comfortably read in. I have to say, I'm really preferring it!

It's actually quite nice to lay in bed shortly before you're about to call it a night, and comfortably relax and read a VN without the need to keep pressing to the next scene.

However I am trying to make more of an effort to sit at my computer when playing VN's more so I can work on my sitting posture, since I unfortunately like to slouch in my chair, which obviously isn't doing my back any favours... So I'm trying to make a conscious effort to sit up straight whilst I read.

P.S

I have to say I agree that the image of you punching the crap out of your punching bag whilst reading a VN with kawaii girls is pretty hilarious. :wahaha:

Let's see. All of my VNs was on my laptop, and I'd like play my laptop with sitting position. So obviously I played VNs in sitting position. Pretty standard posture I knew, and sometimes I get tired sitting which in that case I just standing and stretching a bit.

Edited by littleshogun

I fail to sit still if I'm not COMPLETELY immersed into something so sometimes I sit on a chair, sometimes I'm lying in bed, sometimes I sit on a table.
I saw "auto". I dunno, I just can't (?) auto. Sometimes it's too fast, sometimes too slow, sometimes I wanna reread something, sometimes I'm rushing through it so I always needa be there.

Also, I'm quite amazed by how you can possibly punch a punching bag while concentrating on a vn. If you were doing like push ups or something maybe but the punching baffles me...

@VirginSmasher You mentioned fast but how do you manage it? Like I hear you're hella speedy, what's your technique? :makina: 

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

I fail to sit still if I'm not COMPLETELY immersed into something so sometimes I sit on a chair, sometimes I'm lying in bed, sometimes I sit on a table.
I saw "auto". I dunno, I just can't (?) auto. Sometimes it's too fast, sometimes too slow, sometimes I wanna reread something, sometimes I'm rushing through it so I always needa be there.

Also, I'm quite amazed by how you can possibly punch a punching bag while concentrating on a vn. If you were doing like push ups or something maybe but the punching baffles me...

@VirginSmasher You mentioned fast but how do you manage it? Like I hear you're hella speedy, what's your technique? :makina: 

Years of practice my guy.

I used to have a netbook that I mainly installed visual novels on, and I often took the opportunity to relax on a couch or bed while reading. However, since my netbook hasn't been an option since 2016, I've been simply using my desktop PC instead. I do tend to read VNs a lot less often due to this, unfortunately.

Edited by URV