Favorite protagonist?

Inorin

Favorite protagonist(s)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is/are your most favorite protagonist(s)?

• Kazami Yuuji (Grisaia series)
    • Shirogane Takeru (Muv Luv series)
    • Emiya Shirou (Fate series)
    • Okazaki Tomoya (Clannad & Tomoyo After)
    • Kogasaka You (Hoshizora no Memoria )
    • Maebara Keiichi/Furude Rika (Higurashi)
    • Ushiromiya Battler (Umineko) [Non-spoiler]
    • Okabe Rintaro (Steins Gate series)
    • Morita Kenichi (Sharin no Kuni)
    • Akutsu Masaomi (Sharin no Kuni fandisc)
    • ****el *******er (Fata morgana no Yakata) [Non-spoiler]
    • Azai Kyousuke (G senjou no Maou)
    • Tohno Shiki (Tsukihime)
    • Fujii Ren (Dies Irae)
    • Kurosu Taichi (Cross Channel)
    • Sakisaka Fuminori (Saya no Uta)
    • Tennouji Kotarou (Rewrite)
    • Naoe Yamato (Majikoi)
    • Tokisaka Reiji (Kara no Shoujo series)
    • Others (Please specify)

I did a poll exactly 2 weeks ago to get an idea of which vns people here like. Now, I'm interested to know about the type of protagonist that people here like. 

Personally, I like Kazami Yuuji from Grisaia the most since he's capable of pretty much everything and his thought processes and narration are very amusing to read. 

Other protagonists that I like include Okazaki Tomoya for his amazing chemistry with Youhei Sunohara in Clannad, Heavens Feel Emiya Shirou from Fate Stay Night for his character development and post-CHOMP Shirogane Takeru from Muv Luv Alternative for his character development (spoilers below)

though age sort of just undid this at the epilogue :notlikemiya:

Who's your favorite protagonist?

Edited by wei123

I am sure a lot of people are going to vote for Yuuji from the Grisaia Franchise. I, too, love Yuuji. He is badass and just awesome. (Yumiko x Yuuji best couple)
Therefore I am going to vote for Emiya Shirou! Why? I love his character development from Fate to Heaven's Feel. I hate him in the Fate Route, I like him in the UBW Route and I finally realized he is badass in Heaven's Feel. Emiya Shiou's final development in Heaven's Feel was the epitome of epicness.

Spoiler

shirou_vs_berserker_by_deadkarasu-d8u59t

And who is Rin? Who is Saber? For me the only one is:

Spoiler

tumblr_ohodc9VnYt1uugqoto1_1280.jpg

And:

Spoiler

I also love Shirou from Fate/Illya (Miyu's brother not Illya's)

dda6f3-1519230979.png

Edited by -soraa

I think I already answered this question pretty recently, though I don't remember in which topic it was.

And... there are too many to choose. Between the ones presented here I'm wavering between Yuuji, Takeru and Battler, but Okabe is also great, though I only know him through anime, and there are also great protags in Subahibi.

I guess, I'll vote for Takeru. He's pretty annoying at first, but the way he's presented in Alternative is actually one of the best of all VNs I've read, and definitely the most relatable one (though it's not a very important quality in other cases, here it pays off greatly). I don't particularly prefer him more than other protags I mentioned, but, well, can't choose multiple answers.

Okabe... Ahem, Hououin Kyouma by a longshot.  The others really can't compare to a mad scientist who's not a deliberate insert for the reader.  You're experiencing the story from his perspective and his alone, complete with entertaining voice acting to boot.  This adds more flair to the story than reading through a silent protagonist's mind and expecting to connect with him in every way possible.

7 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I am voting for Yuuji, with honourable mentions to Battler, Kenichi, and Tomoya. Okabe is gut-bustingly hilarious, and he would be my favourite if the anime English dub version counted.

No we need Japanglish! 

Edited by -soraa

22 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I think I already answered this question pretty recently, though I don't remember in which topic it was.

And... there are too many to choose. Between the ones presented here I'm wavering between Yuuji, Takeru and Battler, but Okabe is also great, though I only know him through anime, and there are also great protags in Subahibi.

I guess, I'll vote for Takeru. He's pretty annoying at first, but the way he's presented in Alternative is actually one of the best of all VNs I've read, and definitely the most relatable one (though it's not a very important quality in other cases, here it pays off greatly). I don't particularly prefer him more than other protags I mentioned, but, well, can't choose multiple answers.

I was also wavering between Yuuji and Takeru too but in the end, Yuuji is just too much of a bad ass  (I mean can you imagine if Yuuji was the protagonist in MLA? He's take on thousands of BETA without a hitch)

Azai Kyousuke it is for me. I'm a little too fed up with bland main characters who always do what it is expected and considered correct from a third perspective. 

Kyousuke is neither a good nor a bad person, he's just a person with a lot of flaws like anyone else, while still being pretty likable overall. He ultimately will do everything he can for the ones he cares about.

My favourite VN protagonists are Yuuji from Grisaia, Reiji from Kara no Shoujo 1 and 2, and Okabe from Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0. Honorable mentions go to Yamato from Majikoi and Kyousuke from G-Senjou no Maou.

Special shoutout to Yuki from Subahibi for being my favourite female protagonist because she's better than a lot of male protagonists. 

Edited by VirginSmasher

3 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Special shoutout to Yuki from Subahibi for being my favourite female protagonist because she's better than a lot of male protagonists. 

Yeah, I definitely agree. I personally would love reading a VN where she was a protagonist for much longer time, but, obviously, it would be a much different VN from SubaHibi.

By the way, somebody knows great yuri or otome protagonists? So far there is only one girl in this poll, and even she shares the choice with a guy. :makina:

Edited by Dreamysyu
to avoid confusion, I guess

Zephyr Colerain (Silverio Vendetta) - This guy is the odd duck on my list of favorite protagonists.  He isn't brave, he isn't a genius, and he isn't exceptionally strong-willed.  He is seemingly the scum of the Earth... except for his one real talent... dragging those more capable than him down into the mud.  When cornered by circumstance, he becomes a vicious killer capable of doing anything to survive, taking apart opponents in a positively sadistic manner.

Shigure Sora (Devils Devel Concept) - Frequently described as a 'beast' by the heroines, Sora is an inhuman monster in human form, his psychology only bearing a passing resemblance to that of a human being.  Bound by a 'contract' to kill every demon he comes across and driven by his body's overwhelming impulses, he nonetheless manages to live something approaching a 'normal' existence.  He is incapable of romantic love (though the heroines never admit that, even to themselves), but he is capable of the attachment/obsession an animal has for its mate...  He is highly intelligent and ruthless with his enemies, but he has a tendency to take pleasure in every aspect of fighting (hurting and being hurt, killing and being killed) that can easily lead him into excess.

Asagiri Kaito (Akatsuki no Goei) - At first, Kaito seems to be a clown and a braggart, a goof-off who brags about talents he never shows.  However, beneath the surface, he is just as capable as he claims to be... he is a genius who instantly grasps the essence of anything he learns and never forgets anything he reads.  In addition, he is a master martial artist, with a great deal of experience in both survival in a hostile environment and in fights to the death.  However, he is also utterly unbound by social mores and norms, so he can easily take actions that seem crazy by other people's standards and ignore borderlines that others think have to be protected at all costs.

Kashima Toshirou (Vermilion Bind of Blood) - Toshirou is a former samurai and a century-old vampire living in the city of Foggy Bottom as a 'Guardian', one of those vampires responsible for enforcing the rules of vampiric society on his fellows.  He is seemingly apathetic and disinterested on the surface, his eyes those of a man long dead, but he has a strong sense of honor (for a vampire).  He is a master swordsman who enhances his blade with his ability to control magnetism through his blood, and one of those few vampires that regularly slays those more powerful and older than himself.  He can often be heard to say, 'There is no such thing as a vampire... there are only humans with delusions of greatness and the need to suck blood.'

Shiranui Yoshikazu (Evolimit) - Shiranui is one of a pair of survivors from the first Mars colonization effort found in cold sleep.  Seemingly a cheerful, joking young man with an active curiosity about the world, he is also a determined survivor and a natural hero in the classic sense.  Due to his inability to feel sorrow (caused by him allowing Kokoro to live inside of him), he often finds it difficult to empathize with others, but he is nonetheless compassionate and kind-hearted by nature.  He is a man of strong will and bravery who will go to any lengths, willingly sacrificing himself for others if he feels it is necessary.

32 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

By the way, somebody knows great yuri or otome protagonists? So far there is only one girl in this poll, and even she shares the choice with a guy. :makina:

What do you even consider to be a 'great' protagonist?

The protagonist from Cinderella Phenomenon is likely the closest thing to a genuine (classic) tsundere I have ever seen. Reading her inner thoughts is sad, interesting, and maddening, all simultaneously.

Yuna from Kindred Spirits is so cool! Never have I found a 'girl' to be so cool. The best part is that she feels genuine. It's not an exaggerated trope. She doesn't have the ability to do anything and everything. But she thinks things through and looks so cool while doing it. Is 'cool' devoid of meaning yet?

I will advocate for The Second Reproduction till my last breath, even if I have since forgotten the main character's personality. I know she's a fighter and whatnot, but how proactive was she, really?

...I think these are the standouts, though highway blossoms has great female leads as well.

Edit: Why the hell did I write 'girl' between quotes up there?

Edited by Mr Poltroon
???

38 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

y3zCG0q.jpg

Exposed.

What? :michiru: Yeah, I love SubaHibi. And I would also like reading another VN where Yuki (or very similar character) would be a protagonist for much longer time. But this VN, obviously, wouldn't be Subahibi, since it would never work with one protagonist. I don't see what's wrong. Well, maybe the way I worded it is a bit misleading.

34 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

What do you even consider to be a 'great' protagonist?

Mmmm, I can't really explain it well. Basically, I asked "What female protagonist do you consider great?" In my case... well, she might have interesting or entertaining base personality and/or well-done development. I don't think I'll be able to explain it better.

Also, thank you for the suggestions!

Edited by Dreamysyu

Not a single steampunk series MC option???? That's a shame...

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

For otomeges, my favorite is Cardia from Code Realize. She starts lost and confused but grows a lot in the game, she's both a lovely pure maiden and a proactive member of the team when things gets serious!