Momoiro Closet (new Frontwing game) Kickstarter is up

Fred the Barber

I mean, I know how much you all love Kickstarters. At any rate, the game looked cute when Frontwing announced it back at AX, and it still does, so I kicked it. Go give it a kick if so inclined.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frontwing/expose-your-inner-otaku-with-visual-novel-momoiro/

(looks like the link auto-embeds as a video, so whatever, I left the video and the raw link)

Looks like a straight up nukige, and yet they are putting it on steam and kickstarter. Wonder if the all-ages game will have any content at all, or if it will be like Subahibi where you literally can't play it without the patch. In which case Steam seems like an odd platform for the primary distribution of the game, as was the case with Subahibi. Frontwing seems dead set on not even trying to make their own website with adult titles, like Mangagamer and Denpasoft, and instead just bank fully on Steam + patches.

It does look cute though, so I might get it. Though, I doubt I'll pledge for anything over a digital edition. The Corona Blossom physical rewards STILL haven't shipped, which makes me fear I'll have to wait another two years before I'll see my physical edition of this, so.

2 hours ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

Ehh... This is one of those works centered around otaku culture, so been there, done that.  To me, the VN seems like discount Oreimo, so I'm not interested.

Well at the very least, I'm glad Sekai Project never got a hold of this VN.

I can't really think of many officially translated Eroge that focus on otaku culture. The only one I can really think of atm is wagamama high spec. There is also Eroge Sex and Games Makes Sexy Games, but that only focus on eroge, not on the otaku culture as a whole. 

3 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

After I enjoyed Corona Blossom so much that I quit playing as soon as I read the opening scene of volume 2, uh, I have no plans to so much as look at this until after reviews are out.

It's almost like Frontwing can only be good at SoL-based games when it's in the main Grisaia series.

8 hours ago, EastCoastDrifter said:

Well at the very least, I'm glad Sekai Project never got a hold of this VN.

It would have been interesting to see Sekai Project steal one of Frontwing's in-development VNs right from Frontwing's in-house translation team.

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

It's almost like Frontwing can only be good at SoL-based games when it's in the main Grisaia series.

So you say. Have you played Coronal Blossom?

I enjoyed it a fair bit, to be honest. It's the lack of routes that gets to me. There's a reason I opt for VNs over other mediums, and that reason is routes.

Just now, NowItsAngeTime said:

I'm waiting for more CG previews before kicking

Frontwing said to expect more this week.

http://www.frontwing.jp/product/morokuro/en/index.html#Gallery Here is a few, though since you were talking about more I am not sure whether or not you have already seen them

Btw I wonder do anyone know if frontwing is soon going to open their pre order for the complete grisaia box, kind of a different thing then them doing a kickstarter for momoiro which this tread is about, but it is still about frontwing so close enough I gues.

Edited by Dergonu
Double post

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I enjoyed it a fair bit, to be honest. It's the lack of routes that gets to me. There's a reason I opt for VNs over other mediums, and that reason is routes.

I've avoided it because the premise doesn't interest me at all. I only read moege if I have literally nothing else to read at the moment.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I enjoyed Vol. 1 less than Nekopara Volume 1 (which I describe as 'it mostly manages to not be boring'; to me the first Nekopara is basically the definition of average), but I did kinda sorta enjoy it.  It played fast and loose with the plot - the developments at the end seemed kind of abrupt and poorly paced - but it just barely managed to keep me engaged.

Then I played the beginning of Vol. 2.  And it was terribad.  The cliffhanger at the end of Vol. 1 is resolved by really ludicrous retcons, ass-pulls, and deus ex machinae.  I completely lost immersion in the story after that, closed the game, and never looked back.   I expected this approach would continue - never mind sensible story development, the end of vol. 2 would probably throw some BS curveball out of left field to keep people coming back, then volume 3 will come up with whatever lazy asspull ex machina is the most convenient way to get out of it.

Some of the spoilers I heard from people discussing the game here essentially confirmed I wasn't too far off base.  So, yeah, not terribly interested in this Momoiro Closet.

1 hour ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Wow the art looks pretty crisp. VNDB says the game length is medium [10-30 hours], but i wonder how do they know when the VN hasn't been released yet? did someone on VNDB get a copy for review? Its just the one route right?  

I assumed it'll be pretty short, like a 5 hour read.

This surprised me too, actually, for I thought it'd be nothing but a nukige. Frontwing says on their FAQ that it's about the length of all Corona Blossom volumes together, 10-15 hours. Could ba a bit less, as I don't remember. It might also just be that it just has a lot of big H-Scenes.

I could buy this bloody thing just on the basis of it not being volumes, to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

This surprised me too, actually, for I thought it'd be nothing but a nukige. Frontwing says on their FAQ that it's about the length of all Corona Blossom volumes together, 10-15 hours. Could ba a bit less, as I don't remember. It might also just be that it just has a lot of big H-Scenes.

I could buy this bloody thing just on the basis of it not being volumes, to be honest.

Wow didn't expect it to be that long, i only read through the front campaign page to see what the game is about [I don't use ks, should have read the faq though, my bad:notlikemiya:].

If its a medium length game with an actual story and not just a barrage of h-scenes i'll probably buy it, though it is a nukige so its likely, exactly that. I agree that its a big plus point that it's not in volumes. I rather get 1 complete game than little chunks that could go on indefinitely depending on sales.

According to Frontwing back at last year AX, they say that they'll coordinate the release time of translated Island VN along with the airing of the anime adaptation at 2018, which obviously mean that it should be this year. That vague 'coordinate' wording aside, at the very least it should be certain that we must wait until the anime was aired to get more news in regard of Island VN release.

For Momoiro, well good luck to the KS I guess. At least we knew more that we'll goona have single heroine, along with more description of her hobby so it's a bit interesing. However, instead of the heroine life I take more interest to Show within Show 'Frill Lace' which from the logo was blantantly a parody of Pretty Cure series, and from the synopsis they parodied Kira Kira Pretty Cure (KKPC) one. I think we should say that Frontwing make a good job for their KKPC parody, because there's even a site for Frill Lace.

Edited by littleshogun