What were you doing in 2006 - 2009?

KuroiHitsuji

I consider those extreme developmental years for me, hard to imagine its a decade+ ago now. 

'06: One of the best years of my life, nearly nothing was wrong, moved in with Uncle, spent the whole Summer riding my bike and having fun with my little sis. Started my love for anime and VN's back then and also my Japanese learning. Just enjoyed being me, being with my Uncle and having fun. 

'07: A great year but the start of my hermitism. First started playing WoW (Burning Crusade, best and last good MMO Ive played), played Stepmania with anime simfies religiously, love for VN's/anime fortified. Still went out every now and then but my outdoorness and social life started to decline. Also didnt see my Uncle as much. 

'08: I pretty much completely lived in WoW by this point. As i had no friends, school was horrible, area full of crime, sister lived with me but I never played with her. Also my social life and academics started to seriously decline here, causing me to fall behind in school. I used ventrilo and WoW to make up what i felt I was missing in the real world socially. Especially VN's and anime, I basically lived in them. Started to hate where I lived and not seeing my Mom for years started to get to me. Desperately wanted 'real' friends. 

'09: The beginning of the end of a big chapter years to come. My online relationships exploded and I made friends with whom I still keep in contact with till this day. Joined a doujin forum and loved the community. I finally made some real life friends and felt alot better but I was really behind in school and WoW was not as fun anymore. I just continued my VN/anime stuff and desperately wanted to leave the state. Thus I started fantasizing about far away places to live like the West Coast. Especially Seattle. Mom finally came back to live with us but I was reminded of why I never felt close to her, she treated me and sis pretty bad and hated it, but she was Mom so... Sis' depression kicked in full gear and eventually I dropped out of school (technically). Not even VN's and games could rescue me by this point. I just confided in my online friends and dreaming of one day leaving that city to better myself. It's all that kept me going. Japanese learning continued.

And fast forward nearly a decade and I am finally in the city I wished I could go to one day. In college, working, doing projects and kicking it with my roommates here in Seattle. Everything between '10-'15 was living situation and tribulations and ordeals but it made me grow. Doing really good now, just behind academically because of 08-11. So I am still in undergrad where most my age just graduated.

So, what about you guys?

2006-2008 - I was a semi-shut-in high school student, wasting time on random video games and not achieving anything worth mentioning.

2008-2009 - I became a college student and failed miserably at my first years thanks to my earlier isolation from real life. Failing to get my shit together twice back then is the reason I'm still a student, but I guess it led me on a quite interesting path. Now I'm trying to get a PhD in sociology and while I'm still a pretty crappy student, at least I've managed to become a somewhat-functional human being. I've also met my current girlfriend in 2008, it's crazy to think it'll be a decade soon that we're a couple. :o

I've watched some anime during those years, but my real adventure with otaku media started much later. Something I quite regret in perspective, because my hobbies back then were pointless and autistic as f***. So yeah, not really a time I have much nostalgia for, apart from the relationship stuff. :P

Went to High School, crushed on a girl through most of it, went nowhere with said girl, did the whole mediocre student thing, went home on the school bus, developed my amazing music taste, read some mad books. Oh I joined Minitokyo in 2007 and had some of the best times on that site. Graduated in 09 and picked up Visual Novels soon after.

@MaggieROBOT I'm having fun trying to imagine you like that:holo:

Edited by Ranzo

My memory is becoming terrible, so I'll try to remember what I've been through the best I can.

2006: I was a huge Nintendo geek, so I played a lot of Mario and Pokemon games during this year.  I've made a lot of friends, and done some weird stuff together.

2007: Last year of elementary school for me, and also moved out on the same year.  During this year, my friend introduced me manga, but I didn't understand how to read it back then, so I was confused.

2008: First year of junior high school.  I also hit puberty at the same time, so naturally, I was starting to get into girls.  I had a crush on one particular girl so much that I would end up stalking her without realizing it.  I also tried to follow pop culture trends to become cool (like learning to rap), but I failed spectacularly.

2009: A major year for me, because this was the year that I've started officially becoming an anime fan.  The first anime I've watched were Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Inuyasha, and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.  As I continued to watch more anime, I've deviated away from the pop culture trend at my school, and slowly started to become a weeaboo.

I did nothing of particular worth during that period. That is a lie, though. I saved up all those years so that I could now pursue higher education. That is good.

As for hobbies, I played games and read comic books. If you want to know exactly what kind of games, I'll have you know I am the ultimate PopCap PC gamer. Baking cakes and feeding fish are my masteries.

I also spent a lot of time sucking at strategy games. My favourite pastimes seemed to be exploiting the AI in total war games, save-scumming in Commandos 2, watching the pretty effects and uniforms in Company of Heroes, and parading around with my armies in Age of Empires III. A lot of Sims, as well, and I still have the disk for Ground Control 2 somewhere... not that I can install it. I also know the first Call of Duty in and out. My understanding of English during this period was subpar at best. I remember a captain in Call of Duty calling a soldier 'son' and thinking he meant it literally.
...You need to realise that playing games has been my greatest source of enjoyment, and though there may be better and greater things waiting for me out there, I'd rather not put in the effort. If I never do so, I'll never have cause to regret loving games as I do.

Comic books. I'm a Belgian and French comic book fan. Asterix was great. Tintin was great. Gaston was great. Spirou was great. Interestingly, I preferred the earlier drawing styles of these comics, aside from Tintin (it was always simple, so it never changed too much).

I think I probably still watched television during this period. Cardcaptor Sakura, Doraemon, and Sgt Frog are standouts, though I enjoyed many western cartoons as well.

Nothing special, I guess, I was a highschool student and I did the same as always, play videogames, read, etc. At that time my parents still made me do sports and with classes and all I had less time to do what I wanted than I have now... I didn't know about the VNs back then but I already watched some anime in TV like Sakura Card Captor, Ranma 1/2, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc. I didn't read much then as I do now and I didn't read manga. I have always been more a gamer that something else but in 2009 I began to diversify when I moved away from Europe to South America, so I began to watch more anime because I didn't put it in TV. If I remember well it was the year that I played two of my three favorite gameing sagas. It was, as well, the year that I began roleplaying in the Internet. It was a year with pretty big changes for me, but after that I adapted and continued as ever. So as you can see I was in this thing pretty late comparing to the most of you. :P

Edited by Avernesh

I think that was the time of my life when high school happened. I don’t remember much and I didn’t have any activities other than reading books. I read a lot 3-4 books/month. Didn’t have social life what so ever. That was the period of my life when I was scared  af of others, I didn’t speak to anyone including family. I was basicly a mute. When I think of that time now it is kinda sad. A lot of unnecessary and bad things happened to me ( got kicked out from school) and I didn’t have anyone to rely on or I was thinking I didn’t . Ehhh:leecher:  I am sure you get the picture. 

After high school I tried studying and failed then i went to a technical school and after two years I started working as a maritime engineer. Now I am still working as such and right now I am back to school trying to get degree in maritime engineering. Once I do that I am thinking of getting a job as a lecturer/teacher :sachi: ( me a teacher....) 

2006: I was coming up on my first year working at the movie theater. At this point I had been getting into the more advanced aspects of being a projectionist, and I had fully committed to being a college dropout. When not working I was playing FFXI like a monster or hanging out with my gf of 5yrs. Them NM's weren't gunna hunt themselves.

2007-2009: While I had high hopes in these years there was a 6 year stint in which life basically followed the same flow up till about 2010 when me and the girl I had been dating broke up. So much of this time is pretty much summed up as. Movie Theater, video games, anime, girlfriend, and the occasional tips to Puerto Rico. I did end up in management at the theater so there was some growth and I do look back at this time foundly. It was an time of no responsibilities, and endless possibilities. There was pain on the way after 2009, but I would have to say everything got much more interesting after that.

Thanks for the thread this was an interesting exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

2006. That year I was in 4th grade playing ToonTown. I mean that was the shit back then. I was watching Naruto, and learning how to run like them. This was the year that I got jumped by the all girl gang. Top Notch Westside

2007. Halo. Nothing. But Halo. I was also finally trying out the new wii my mother bought.

2008. More wii games. I had a ton of free time. I spent those days hanging out my nephew and arguing. We fought a lot, and then I got involved in scouting. Then, I realized what religion I was. I mean, I knew I was Christian but then other Christian churches were like, we don’t do those things. Ohh.... BUT THERE WAS SMASH!!! I put like 500 hours of my life into that game. Shit imagine if I put that much into my coding skills. But instead I made a movie series on goanimate. (YALL KIDS REMEMBER GOANIMATE!?)

2009. Middle school. I hated those years. I wanted them to end. I was at a really ghetto middle school. Teachers wouldn’t show up to classes. People would always be fighting. People made fun of me for like anime. They thought sailor moon was stupid, and I was bullied all through my 7th grade year.