Getchu Bishoujo Game Awards 2017 are out

ChaosRaven

So the Getchu Bishoujo Game Awards 2017 for the most popular VN's of last year are finally out and the winner is... Kin'iro Loveriche from Saga Planets.

The full list of the best 20 titles hereinafter:

1.) Kin'iro Loveriche by Saga Planets (Also first place in categories Scenario, Music and Characters with Souma Ria)

34335.jpg

2.) Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart 2 by Harukaze

32828.jpg

3.) Making*Lovers by Smee

33908.jpg

4.) Hikari no Umi no Apeiria by Silky's Plus Dolce

32864.jpg

5.) Aoi Tori by Purple Software (Also first place in category MOVIE)

33059.jpg

6.) Bakumatsu Jinchuu Houkoku Resshiden Miburo by Inre

34333.jpg

7.) ChronoBox by No Brand

30689.jpg

8.) Suisou Ginka no Istoria by Uguisu Kagura

32303.jpg

9.) Ouchi ni Kaeru made ga Mashimaro Desu by Marmalade (Also first place in category ERO)

31590.jpg

10.) Amayui Castle Meister by Eushully (Also first place in category System)

32712.jpg

11.) Shigokare ~Ecchi na Joshi Daisei to Doki x2 Love Lesson!!~ by Atelier Kaguya Bare & Bunny (NSFW)

12.) Trinoline by Minori (Also first place in category Graphics)

32662.jpg

13.) Haruru Minamo ni! by Clochette

29575.jpg

14.) Ouka Sabaki by Irodori

32021.jpg

15.) Choukou Shinki Ixseal by Alice Soft

32569.jpg

16.) Niizuma Lovely x Cation by Hibiki Works

31402.jpg

17.) Silverio Trinity by Light

29918.jpg

18.) Kizuna Kirameku Koi Iroha by CRYSTALIA

33539.jpg

19.) Koinosu ☆ Ichacolize by eRONDO

30796.jpg

20.) Kotonoha Amrilato by SukeraSparo

33173.jpg

Personal comments:

There was already a bit of a hype about Kin'iro Loveriche, so it doesn't really come as a surprise that it won the Getchu awards, even if I would have made my bet on Clochette's Harumina.

Nice to see Minori back on the graphics throne. I think it goes back to ef and Eden when they last got it. Though I think I liked their old style a bit more. :rolleyes:

Having Ouchi ni Kaeru made ga Mashimaro Desu win the ero awards is... slightly surprising, considering it looks more like an all ages game. :blink:

Looks like Eushully are back, even if they are not at the top yet.

Seems like Dergonu was right - ChronoBox seems a lot more popular in Japan than in the west.

Is Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart really getting an English translation or was it just a fake announcement about 2 years ago?

Miburo seems to be a bit lower ranked than its predecessor ChuSingura overall, though maybe that's just because its not 'new' anymore. I think at least the graphics are better.

I'm somewhat interested in Ouka Sabaki - the theme of murder mystery in past Japan looks very interesting.

Edited by Dergonu
please dont embed NSFW pics

25 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

14.) Ouka Sabaki by Irodori

15.) Choukou Shinki Ixseal by Alice Soft

19.) Koinosu ☆ Ichacolize by eRONDO

20.) Kotonoha Amrilato by SukeraSparo

Looked though all the other links. These lead to a wrong VN.

1 hour ago, onorub said:

Is there data on the top selling VNs already? Kinda interested to see if Niizuma's promotional VR weddings actually paid off.

Getchu sales ranking list is out for some time now. Not sure if there's a combined list of yearly sales for more shops.

Top ten of Getchu:

1. Haruru Minamo ni!

2. Ouchi ni Kaeru made ga Mashimaro Desu

3. Amayui Castle Meister

4. Niizuma Lovely x Cation

5. Wagamama High Spec OC

6. 9 -Nine- Kokonotsu Kokonoka Kokonoiro

7. Aoi Tori

8. Making*Lovers

9. Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart 2

10. Haruoto Alice * Gram

I cry if the links are messed up again - seriously! :wacko:

Chrono Box and Miburo are both in the top 10. Not bad. Chrono Box is my pick for the best game of 2017, period. Man, that game was good. Though, with it being in a genre not everyone enjoys, it's understandable that it didn't actually place that high. A #7 spot for a game like Chrono Box among a billion moege is still a win.

2 hours ago, 1P1A said:

Wouldn't this virtually always be the case for untranslated VNs? I mean Japan is the only country in the world which speaks Japanese.

Yes, but the west still has a decent chunk of people who reads VNs in Japanese. Though, the ratings in the west are pretty mediocre overall for Chrono Box, despite the game simply being objectively good. My theory is that a lot of people probably read the game with machine TLs, and since the writing in the game is pretty hard to understand without a proper grasp of the language, I imagine some people might not have understood what they read as a result, impacting their score. The game also has some parts that you can't hook with text hookers, so people who rely too much on them can't follow those segments.

I mentioned this in a blog post I made about the game some time back.

Oh by the way, please don't embed NSFW pictures, even if they are in a spoiler. Fixed it for you, but please post NSFW pics as a link next time. ~~

12 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Though, the ratings in the west are pretty mediocre overall for Chrono Box, despite the game simply being objectively good.

Well, ratings are subjective.

16 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

My theory is that a lot of people probably read the game with machine TLs

Is this because many VN readers are ESL? Sounds like a terrible experience otherwise.

16 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

Well, ratings are subjective.

Of course, but the average rating for Chrono Box in the west is pretty low, while you can see a big increase in the number of high votes on Japanese sites. (Not to mention that the game made it high on lists like this one in Japan, while I have only seen a handful of people praising the game in the west so far.)

Seeing as many people do read VNs with machine translations over here, I simply drew that conclusion based on the difference in the votes, and the fact that I know the game is very hard to read for people who have lower/ no understanding of Japanese in general. That's of course not meant to sound condescending or anything. If anything, it's completely understandable, as learning Japanese takes a lot of time and effort, and I see why your average VN reader wouldn't want to spend years of their lives studying, just to read some untranslated VNs.

Though, kudos to those who do! :P

16 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

Is this because many VN readers are ESL? Sounds like a terrible experience otherwise.

I think for most people doing it, it's more like a "well, it's a machine TL or nothing, I guess," situation. For moege and works with simple writing, this is fine. But for more complex games, like Chrono Box, it just won't do, most of the time.

9 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Of course, but the average rating for Chrono Box in the west is pretty low, while you can see a big increase in the number of high votes on Japanese sites. (Not to mention that the game made it high on lists like this one in Japan, while I have only seen a handful of people praising the game in the west so far.)

Seeing as many people do read VNs with machine translations over here, I simply drew that conclusion based on the difference in the votes, and the fact that I know the game is very hard to read for people who have lower/ no understanding of Japanese in general. That's of course not meant to sound condescending or anything. If anything, it's completely understandable, as learning Japanese takes a lot of time and effort, and I see why your average VN reader wouldn't want to spend years of their lives studying, just to read some untranslated VNs.

Though, kudos to those who do! :P

Ah, I see. That's a fair assessment.

13 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

I think for most people doing it, it's more like a "well, it's a machine TL or nothing, I guess," situation. For moege and works with simple writing, this is fine. But for more complex games, like Chrono Box, it just won't do, most of the time.

Yeah, I tend to forget VNs aren't like anime/manga which basically all get translated eventually and having people praising things they can't, or may never be able to, read can be frustrating.

Although, even for easy stuff I'd imagine it would be frustrating as hell to read. I mean Japanese constantly leaves out subjects, and to a lesser extent objects (and even lesser extent, verbs), but yeah I guess you take what you can get.

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

(Not to mention that the game made it high on lists like this one in Japan, while I have only seen a handful of people praising the game in the west so far.)

At the same time I had seen even less people that actually played and berated it lol

It just goes to show how there's way too few english-speaking readers to make serious assumptions about anything. I also seriously doubt that most of those VNDB voters have ever read it, even machine-translated, we do have a culture of "I'll just look at dem CGs and rate my hype for the game" in the West.

Kind of surprised that Silverio Trinity made it on there, despite my fondness for the game and the series.  The rest was par for the course... predictable.  I'm sad that Yami to Hikari no Sanctuary wasn't on there, but meh...

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

...My theory is that a lot of people probably read the game with machine TLs, and since the writing in the game is pretty hard to understand without a proper grasp of the language, I imagine some people might not have understood what they read as a result, impacting their score. The game also has some parts that you can't hook with text hookers, so people who rely too much on them can't follow those segments...

...I think for most people doing it, it's more like a "well, it's a machine TL or nothing, I guess," situation. For moege and works with simple writing, this is fine. But for more complex games, like Chrono Box, it just won't do, most of the time...

Aaaaaaaaah, don't make me so sad Dergonuuuuuuu :(

And I actually had that wet dream of attempting to MTL ChronoBox, since only God knows if there's ever gonna be a proper TL of it (and studying JP for years just to read it is a daunting prospect, I wanna read ChronoBox now!!! Not in 10 years from now!! :( )