Looking for an "other world," fantasy, or fairy tale-type story Visual Novel

Nreli

I haven't read that many Visual Novels, I'm new to this medium since I didn't think they were good to begin with. I played a few games that absolutely smashed me, and played on my heartstrings. I want a VN, fantasy type, fairy tale-type or even otherworldy. Honestly, just a great story is fine too, even in a modern setting. I like magic too, if there's something like that out there.

I like Kyonyuu Fantasy, amazing protagonist, heroines, lots of events of intrigue, overall plot and political points are just fantastics even the side stories are insanely emotional. Isis's emotional path is amazing isn't it.

Brilliant Shadows gripping, concise story. Mystery, amazing FeMC. Action.

I love House of Fata Morgana, just insanely well thought and written extremely to my taste. I cried a lot during it, from happiness and sadness. It was surreal for me.

Romance is nice between interesting characters, but I'd rather the game have a story otherwise if romance is the only aspect it gets boring. I've yet to finish a VN that had romance as the number 1 aspect of the VN, not that I tried many but what I tried just didn't appeal to me too much after an hour or so of reading. There are exceptions, like Kana Little Sister, which I feel focused a lot on its story. It broke my heart. There's also Yu-No, damn I loved the other world part of it, it was a fairy tale.

I like stories. I'm reading a VN right now, and it has Slice of Life elements, and I'm getting bored of those segments. I'm not that interested in SoL, but I'm sure somewhere they're done right to my taste.

Spoiler

I do not like FSN or any story from that series.

Edited by Nreli

13 minutes ago, Nreli said:

Looks promising, what do you think about the story and characters? How long is it?

The story is good, and the characters are likeable. (Both the good guys, and the bad guys, in their own ways.) Length wise, it's a rather standard 10-30 hour VN. So, meduim length, I'd say. 

4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

There is this game by the authors of Grisaia. I haven't read it so I can't say anything about its quality.

I didn't like Grisaia, It seemed to be filled with lots of SoL, no story. I read a couple hours of it, I couldn't get farther without being distracted because I was getting bored. But this right here looks right up my alley. 

@Dergonu definitely gonna check it then!

Edited by Nreli

6 hours ago, Nreli said:

I like stories. I'm reading a VN right now, and it has Slice of Life elements, and I'm getting bored of those segments. I'm not that interested in SoL, but I'm sure somewhere they're done right to my taste.

How I feel about SoL in a nutshell.

As for recommendations, Enigma, Subahibi, Myth, and Fata Morgana for more fantasy-based VNs. For mystery, Cartagra and the Kara no Shoujo duo, G-Senjou no Maou, Himawari, Steins;Gate, and Ever17.

Let's see, maybe you can try both of Soukoku no Arterial and Madou Koukaku if you want untranslated one. I knew that the former did have some SoL, but it only for around two chapters before the plot get serious. Other than that if you didn't like the gameplay, then maybe both of Ayakashibito and Comyu because both of those were some sort of fantasy VN. Oh, and you can try Gahkthun, Inganock, and Sharnoth as well. Hope the recommendations will be help.

Edited by littleshogun

16 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Look for the translated Alice Soft Vns. (Like Rance).

Dengeki Striker, Gakthun of Light, 11eyes, Dies Irae, Tokyo Babel, Lamento -Beyond the Void-...

Which translated Alice Soft are we talking about? I tried their Atlache Nacha, fantastic game amazing protagonist and relationship between her and the heroine. Damn that struck me.

Also, would you still recommend Gakthun of Light to someone who disliked Shikkoku no Sharnoth. That game was hot steaming garbage, in gameplay, characterization, and "plot." Artificial length, and events repeating themselves unnecessarily, "protagonist" who wasn't interesting to the world because of who she was, but "what" she had. Weak, pathetic, waste of time that main heroine was.

13 hours ago, Clephas said:

Tiny Dungeon series

Aselia

Seinarukana

Can you tell me more on Tiny Dungeon series? Protagonist, story? So far what I read on it, it doesn't seem to intrigue me. 

Also, on Seinarukana. I liked Aselia, but people seem to all agree that its a disappointing sequel to a fantastic game, that's why I didn't read it. Give me your thoughts.

14 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Steins;Gate.  Demonbane.  Saya no Uta.  Tokyo Babel.  Shadows of Pygmalion.  Littlewitch Romanesque.  Eve Burst Error.  999/Virtue's Last Reward.  Hotel Dusk.  Chaos;Head.  Koihime Musou.  Kara no Shoujo. 

Lots of interesting games here, I feel like Littlewitch Romanesque is what will get me the hardest here, and Koihime Musou second.

Can you tell me which Koihime Musou to play though, there's a "remake" "Shin Koihime Musou." Which one do you recommend playing?

15 hours ago, wei123 said:

oh my bad I didn't open it. Thanks for telling me.

NP, that Magical Girl game seems to have characters from Grisaia, but I'm not that big into that game. I'm not sure if I should try it...

13 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

How I feel about SoL in a nutshell.

As for recommendations, Enigma, Subahibi, Myth, and Fata Morgana for more fantasy-based VNs. For mystery, Cartagra and the Kara no Shoujo duo, G-Senjou no Maou, Himawari, Steins;Gate, and Ever17.

That Enigma game, damn looks interesting. How are the characters/plot? Definitely checking it out

10 hours ago, Zalor said:

Symphonic Rain for Fairy Tale-like vibes, and then amazing mind-fucking plot twists later on. Seriously, when it comes to well executed plot twists in VNs, this is probably one of my top examples. 

Been interested in it for a while, but I wasn't sure about it since it looks like a school game, and SoL just bores me. ;d

8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Let's see, maybe you can try both of Soukoku no Arterial and Madou Koukaku if you want untranslated one. I knew that the former did have some SoL, but it only for around two chapters before the plot get serious. Other than that if you didn't like the gameplay, then maybe both of Ayakashibito and Comyu because both of those were some sort of fantasy VN. Oh, and you can try Gahkthun, Inganock, and Sharnoth as well. Hope the recommendations will be help.

In my comment up there I said "Also, would you still recommend Gakthun of Light to someone who disliked Shikkoku no Sharnoth. That game was hot steaming garbage, in gameplay, characterization, and "plot." Artificial length, and events repeating themselves unnecessarily, "protagonist" who wasn't interesting to the world because of who she was, but "what" she had. Weak, pathetic, waste of time that main heroine was."

I'm not sure about games from that dev, since that's how I feel about Sharnoth. Is Gahkthun the same? 

Also about the first two games you talked about in your post, the second one intrigues me, but when I scroll down I see a couple of pictures with H-scenes. At first I wanted to avoid them at all costs, and the game that contain them. But I learnt that you could just skip over them after seeing pretty much all games contain them. Even Kyonyuu Fantasy the best VN series I read contains them and it didn't hold back the series from having amazing characters/story in it. What do you think about the story and characters in this, Madou Koukaku, game?

3 hours ago, mnmnoko said:

if you like kyonyu fantasy and don't mind untranslated one, there're tons of sequels  same writer (Kagami Hiroyuki) wrote.
I've not read them but i like novels he wrote, so those seem good as well.

Played them all!

1 hour ago, Nreli said:

Can you tell me more on Tiny Dungeon series? Protagonist, story? So far what I read on it, it doesn't seem to intrigue me. 

The game's setting is a multiverse of five worlds and four races that were warring with one another just a few years ago.  The war was so terrible that large percentages of each race's population had died off, and one race (the dragon race), was on the verge of extinction.  It was ended by a human hero, who discovered the people behind the war and those who were profiting from it, revealed them, and brought them down, mediating an end to the war.  However, while he was human, it was revealed that the primary instigator of the war was also a human, resulting in a great deal of hatred and prejudice from the other three races (Demon, divine, and dragon). 

Soon after, the fifth world, Trinity, was created to house a school to raise individuals capable of dealing with situations like the ones found during the war and to force the most capable from each race into close proximity with one another, to hopefully build a positive rapport in the long run. 

The protagonist, Shirasagi Hime, is one of only two humans attending the school, along with his partner, Kou.  He suffers the brunt of the hatred and distrust of other races for humanity with a shrug, pursuing his goal of one day succeeding the hero who ended the war with single-minded determination.

The story begins when Veil, a demon girl from the most powerful bloodline in the demon realm, appears on the scene, announcing her love for him (and also announcing she will happily turn anyone who even looks at him the wrong way into dust and ash).  With this, he begins to gather a close circle (harem) of friends and his life at the school and his efforts at self-improvement meet a turning point...

There are four games in the main series and one after-story fandisc (Endless Dungeon).  The first three games in the main series follow three possible futures, based on whether he gets together with Veil, Note (divine princess), or Ururu (queen of the dragons and the game's resident eternaloli).  The fourth game, Brave or Slave, serves as a conclusion to the main storyline.

Hime is a determined and cunning young man, who grows immensely during the series as a whole.  In the face of events beyond his control, he nonetheless manages to keep his cool and continue to seek a better future. 

This game's big attraction, besides some nice action scenes and a good story, is the comedy.  Rosebleu's games, in general, have excellent humor (even if it is somewhat older-style), and this series is no exception.  When it is serious, it is serious, when it is funny, it is funny.