Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Moekou

I'm not really big into Magical Girl stuff, but the simple fact that SHAFT animated it has piqued my interest enough to give it a go soon.

Oh, i don't know someone already discussing Madoka...

Yeah, i deceived by promotional art and stuff. i was thinking about usual magical girl plot:

have trouble with bad people -> Meet alien -> special power -> transform -> suddenly, first enemy appears -> fight -> win

But madoka magica is different, its pretty dark. pretty, and dark. it's all about friendship, love, struggle, and sacrifice...

EY53j.jpg

hey, i pressed reply by accident, anyone know how to delete my post below?

• 2 weeks later...

Madoka Magica is one of the best anime I've seen. I was also lucky enough to be close enough to one of the areas showing the movies in the US in October, and they were great. Since they're just recaps of the series, I was worried it'd be like just watching the series all over again, but everything was re-animated, plot points were added, there was a brand new opening filled with HomuMado cuteness... I can't wait for the movies to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray so everyone can see them, because they're THAT good.

I'm also looking forward to the final movie, which I believe is set to come out next year. It's going to be a completely new story, and I'm hoping it'll have our original magical girls in it, because I'm so emotionally attached to them now. XD

Madoka Magica is one of the best anime I've seen. I was also lucky enough to be close enough to one of the areas showing the movies in the US in October, and they were great. Since they're just recaps of the series, I was worried it'd be like just watching the series all over again, but everything was re-animated, plot points were added, there was a brand new opening filled with HomuMado cuteness... I can't wait for the movies to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray so everyone can see them, because they're THAT good.

I'm also looking forward to the final movie, which I believe is set to come out next year. It's going to be a completely new story, and I'm hoping it'll have our original magical girls in it, because I'm so emotionally attached to them now. XD

I'm looking forward to the final film, too! Really hoping Mami will get some good screen time. Here's my review of the movie if anyone's interested. Of course, there might be spoilers so be careful. Then again, the movie is largely similar to the TV series, anyway:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd eventually watched it after everyone's constant natter about how this had "revolutionised" the Mahou Shoujo genre piqued my interest in it.

Everyone makes a big deal about the "twist" in ep3 that comes along, but it wasn't the only thing that it should be known for, I think, on hindsight. Things like Kyuubey's unnaturally constant persuasion, his very creepy unchanging expression, Madoka's reluctance to buy anything he said - there was enough of a build up for me to accept that the creators hadn't just shoved it in there for mere shock value.

Am a fan of the ending as well.

Yes, there was still a definitive tragedy in how Homura lost Madoka to the world, but it is counterbalanced by what she sacrificed herself for. This is especially interesting when you consider Homura's initial goal: to save Madoka, the genki girl who coaxed the shy Homu out of her shell. Does she succeed? Yes, she does - but there is a price. First, Madoka is forgotten by (almost) all the world. Second, Homura is no longer able to meet her when she leaves the mortal realm. It is certainly a tragedy, but what had she achieved? Madoka had become the embodiment of hope and in doing so had banished all despair from existence. An appeal is being made to universal human emotions that everyone will relate to, and the celestial motif reinforced the fact that this is something happening on a grand, GRAND scale. As much as Homura (and the viewers) are saddened at her loss, she finds strength in the fact that what she had worked so hard to achieve finally came true in more ways than one.

At its heart it espouses the message Madokami herself brings - HOPE. The hope that your efforts will succeed, and that though you may experience setbacks and suffering along the way, if you persevere, you will prevail. And while you may not prevail in the way you initially envisioned, what eventually transpires may well be success on a much grander scale. Many other Mahou Shoujou preach the message of hope - but none thus far have done so in such a multifaceted manner that both considers AND accepts its darker side.

imo there's also something very special about how unremarkable Madoka's personality is. She is not clever, or intellectual, charismatic, or particularly outstanding in any other way. And yet, consider this:

I_became_god.jpg?20110506081840

So its like, she didn't become Hope because she found a flaw in the system, or because she used her extreme smarts to think her way out of it, or because she was an awesome leader who orchestrated an epic battle against despair which she won. No, she defeated despair because its what she wants.

No ifs. No buts. No whys, even! It's 'cos she wanted to. Like, yanno, just 'cos.

I find myself fascinated by this. Truly in many ways there is too much of a culture of thinking too much. But Madoka's example, even when used as a mere thought experiment, is a powerful hymn unto how limitless a human's strength of will can be. To get to the stage where you don't even need to think about WHY or HOW, and when the idea is so deeply ingrained in your subconscious - that is true mastery. To give in to faith that you've done your best and it will all work out somehow without and even before having to stop to CONSIDER how - truly an awe-inspiring state of mind.

tl;dr: Yeah. Consider myself a fan~

• 10 months later...

I like necro-ing threads. 

So, I'm just back from the third movie.

That was ALMOST a very good movie. Gunfight scene, twists, transformation scene, the beginning was really good.

Then Urobuchi went a bit too far, and I'm reeeeally not convinced by the end. This will need rewatching and a bit of reflexion. 

Guest madoka12345

I like necro-ing threads.

So, I'm just back from the third movie.

That was ALMOST a very good movie. Gunfight scene, twists, transformation scene, the beginning was really good.

Then Urobuchi went a bit too far, and I'm reeeeally not convinced by the end. This will need rewatching and a bit of reflexion.

By homura saying madoka was her enemy?

And the ending is obviously setting up for a 4th movie FYI

The third isn't the last

Spoiler tags pls. 

The whole 'homura suddenly turns evil because of the accumulated maledictions' is just too much. After this point everything is just meh. And that will to absolutely make a bad end just adds fuel to it. That's not just setting up for a 4th movie, it just doesn't feel right as a conclusion of the movie. I think this is yet again Urobuchi failing at making a coherent whole out of his script, just pulling twists after twists until the one too much.

I said I need to reflect a bit on it though. This is an off the bat reaction.

Also, do you have source on that hypothetic 4th movie?

Guest madoka12345

Spoiler tags pls.

The whole 'homura suddenly turns evil because of the accumulated maledictions' is just too much. After this point everything is just meh. And that will to absolutely make a bad end just adds fuel to it. That's not just setting up for a 4th movie, it just doesn't feel right as a conclusion of the movie. I think this is yet again Urobuchi failing at making a coherent whole out of his script, just pulling twists after twists until the one too much.

I said I need to reflect a bit on it though. This is an off the bat reaction.

Also, do you have source on that hypothetic 4th movie?

there was a official source somewhere saying this wasn't the last movie... You cannot seriously believe it would end like that.... Would you?

And not reading that, I watched the ending of a bootleg online to check the ending I am going to LA to see the movie in December

• 2 weeks later...

Crap guessing no good mercindise for me

Unless there's limited stuff you should be fine. They had tons of stuff at my screening, there were still merchandise after the movie.

Well, maybe Americans are more crazy about it than us and it will sell instantly, though.

Guest madoka12345

One of my fave series, so need to watch these movies.

Worth the over 4 hours of pain(literally) in line for sure. If I came later like I was going to at like 4 I wouldn't have gotten a good seat and I would not have gotten my poster.

Board and phone holder on eBay as well :3

I approve only on the shoujo ai side of this anime.

Well that's surprising coming from you :P

I really want to watch the movie though i've heard some people upset with it without giving me spoilers however so i'm still hopeful i'll enjoy it.

Does anyone know when the DVD/BD will be released?

I watched a bit of the camrip of the third movie just because I really wanted to see those transformation scenes again. They're really awesome. That makes me even more butthurt that they didn't put those in the series in the first place, and that the movie's end is kinda bad.

Well. I saw the movie. It was in my area, and my sister wanted to go see it, so I decided to check it out. I got two keychains and a super fancy book with the best presentation for a book I have ever seen. I think it was the "movie guide," but it had more art work and such to it. Also, a free random autograph board thing (mine was of Mami.)

I watched a bit of the camrip of the third movie just because I really wanted to see those transformation scenes again. They're really awesome. That makes me even more butthurt that they didn't put those in the series in the first place, and that the movie's end is kinda bad.

Well, about that... I felt like, the ending was uhh... bad... only if you look at it that way? I kinda saw it as, "Uhh, what?" Assuming you guys care about spoilers, uhh, let's just say this. If you had any questions about how the series ended, and what exactly happened, they'll explain it some... but uhh, I walked out of that movie theater with more questions than I had before. (It also ended with a little "Fin" rather than some "To be continued," or 「つづく」, so uhh, I dunno how to feel about that.

...Oh yeah, animation was great. Dem transformation sequences for man. Lasted so long, but was beautiful.