Share Your Technology Related Hijinks

Mr Poltroon

I’m super staticky or something, so I fry computer parts even wearing a static strap plugged into the ground (I know it works because my dad used it when he worked on Telecommunications equipment) while naked and touching metal pipes with my foot.  My friends don’t let me near their computers.  Because of this I get other people to build my computers for me.  For my most recent one (about six years ago), I got lazy and bought a pre-built Asus gaming rig figuring Asus could be trusted to make good computers.  It arrived with a French Canadian keyboard (yes, that’s a thing.  No, I didn’t know that until this machine either).  Then three days after I got it, it would just endlessly reboot and the restore partition wouldn’t work.  So I sent it back to Asus demanding a refund.  They sent it back to me repaired saying they don’t offer refunds.  Within a couple of weeks the Ethernet card wouldn’t work every second boot, so I have disable and re-enable it in device manager.  The mouse will also not work on boot up once or twice a month.  When Windows 8.1 came out it would get part way through the installation before telling me I don’t have a genuine copy of Windows.  So either something is incompatible, or Asus put a fake copy of Windows 8 on it...  Because of this I can’t upgrade to Windows 10 even if I wanted to.  Oh yeah, and the surround sounds speakers I’ve used on computers with no problem for 15 years go *pop* and only have sound come out of the centre speaker if I don’t turn them off before I start a YouTube vid or if I listen to voices in certain VNs or games.

On 21/02/2018 at 9:41 PM, havoc said:

try reinstalling the drivers.

Thank yo for yor sggestion. Shortly after it, I did indeed do so, and, teporarily, the isse vanished. Sadly, it has since retrned. Cold yo tell?

Rest assred I a dly pressing all keys. It's the keyboard which fails e. I a probably going to reinstall said drivers one ore tie, as a teporary soltion, and then trobleshoot in search of a ore permanent one.

inigae: Can yo tell which keys are alfnctioning? st be aware that beyond the ones featred in these short few sentences, there is one ore, a nber. It wold ordinarily stop e fro sing '/'. Soeties they do work, for soe strange reason.

• 3 months later...
On 13/02/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

There was this period where, if I didn't keep my NVIDIA drivers up to date the monitor would refuse to work with my computer at some point and turn black. From that moment on, up until I updated my drivers, the monitor would stay on for increasingly short periods of times, so it was sort of a rush to update my stuff before I had to restart the computer. Turned into more of a slight inconvenience once I figured out how to fix it.

This issue returned just today! I'm posting this after updating my drivers. Maybe I've fixed the issue.

6 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

This issue returned just today! I'm posting this after updating my drivers. Maybe I've fixed the issue.

There could be several potential reasons as to why this is happening to you

I met this issue twice in the past and the reasons are:

1) Outdated drivers (same reason as you)

2) The PCIE slot is faulty

How old is your computer?

Also, I don't quite get the meaning of your post. So the issue return recently, you updated the drivers, and the problem was solved?

If so, congrats :)

3 hours ago, phantomJS said:

So the issue return recently, you updated the drivers, and the problem was solved?

The issue returned, I updated the drivers, made that post, and then... the problem still wasn't fixed.

But allow me to elaborate a bit:
When I turn on my computer, everything works fine for 5-10 minutes, but suddenly the monitor goes black and every other device too. It's as is the PC went to sleep (without the desktop turning off), except it doesn't wake up. There is nothing I can do at that point except turning it off and trying again.

In previous observations, I had concluded that updating my drivers would fix the issue. However, it seems to me silly that something that was working before suddenly stops doing so. For this reason, I imagine updating the drivers doesn't fix the issue per se, but typically does something else or changes some setting which ultimately fixes the issue.

That didn't work this time, however. I'm still not 100% certain it didn't (because I updated the drivers in a slightly different way than I usually do), but for all intents and purposes, it did not.

I have, however, formed a new theory. Speculation:

• The cause of the issue is for the desktop to be suddenly unplugged from the electricity.
    • Which I did. By accident. Immediately before the issues started.
  • To fix it, I simply need to turn the power off and let it rest for a bunch of time. Maybe to remove all traces of energy from its components.
    • After sleeping a night, it now seems to be working fine again.

All in all, I hope that if this does happen again, it does so at night and allows me to simply sleep the problems away.

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

@Mr Poltroon

More than probably an hardware issue. Don't believe it will get solve that easily. Computer hardware problems do not go away with time. It will only get worse, sadly :(...

Post back if your problem isn't solved :( ....

Btw how old is your computer? Specs? Are you using a discrete GPU or on board graphics?

As I explained, I believe the problem has gone away. It had been a year or two since this last happened. And as I said above, this likely only happened because I cut off its power all of a sudden.

My computer should be around 7 years old. Perhaps less. I actually am not sure. But it's between 5-7 years old.
I do not know what 'specs' or any of that other stuff entails or how to identify them.

On 22/02/2018 at 4:59 AM, finiteHP said:

I’m super staticky or something, so I fry computer parts even wearing a static strap plugged into the ground (I know it works because my dad used it when he worked on Telecommunications equipment) while naked and touching metal pipes with my foot.  My friends don’t let me near their computers.  Because of this I get other people to build my computers for me.  For my most recent one (about six years ago), I got lazy and bought a pre-built Asus gaming rig figuring Asus could be trusted to make good computers.  It arrived with a French Canadian keyboard (yes, that’s a thing.  No, I didn’t know that until this machine either).  Then three days after I got it, it would just endlessly reboot and the restore partition wouldn’t work.  So I sent it back to Asus demanding a refund.  They sent it back to me repaired saying they don’t offer refunds.  Within a couple of weeks the Ethernet card wouldn’t work every second boot, so I have disable and re-enable it in device manager.  The mouse will also not work on boot up once or twice a month.  When Windows 8.1 came out it would get part way through the installation before telling me I don’t have a genuine copy of Windows.  So either something is incompatible, or Asus put a fake copy of Windows 8 on it...  Because of this I can’t upgrade to Windows 10 even if I wanted to.  Oh yeah, and the surround sounds speakers I’ve used on computers with no problem for 15 years go *pop* and only have sound come out of the centre speaker if I don’t turn them off before I start a YouTube vid or if I listen to voices in certain VNs or games.

Who did you wrong in a previous life jesus fucking christ

On 2/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, finiteHP said:

Jeez, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. :o

13 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Have a this, @phantomJS

Saw it. Yours is a pre-made Acer computer. OEM-built machines are a bunch of crap and feature low-lights such as low-quality AND low wattage (speaking from experience, most OED systems have 250W-ish low quality OED branded PSW in them which is very small) Power Supply Units, and Motherboards.

Browse through your VNDB page as well, and saw VNs like Corona Blossom which should be pretty graphically challenging for your GT 645 card in my opinion (not to mention the fact this card is, again, more than probably a OEM card, a.k.a lousy quality). All of this means your GPU should be pretty worn-out by now. 

I think your recent power trip experience probably damaged either the GPU or the MOBO and I don't believe the problem will go away, sadly. I believe you will only encounter problems if you read VNs, play games, or stream HD videos, however.

I'll be praying for your system :wafuu:....

Edited by phantomJS

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Saw it. Yours is a pre-made Acer computer. OEM-built machines are a bunch of crap and feature low-lights such as low-quality AND low wattage (speaking from experience, most OED systems have 250W-ish low quality OED branded PSW in them which is very small) Power Supply Units, and Motherboards.

Browse through your VNDB page as well, and saw VNs like Corona Blossom which should be pretty graphically challenging for your GT 645 card in my opinion (not to mention the fact this card is, again, more than probably a OEM card, a.k.a lousy quality). All of this means your GPU should be pretty worn-out by now. 

I think your recent power trip experience probably damaged either the GPU or the MOBO and I don't believe the problem will go away, sadly. I believe you will only encounter problems if you read VNs, play games, or stream HD videos, however.

I'll be praying for your system :wafuu:....

Corona Blossom runs with no problems. I also play a number of games with no problems. I have since played games like XCOM 2 with no problems.
My computer has never stopped me from playing a game I wanted, so I will not worry.

Furthermore, the issue I described has been here for years. It first happened some 5 years ago, and has since happened once or twice more. Whilst I am sure the 'problem' will not go away by itself, it isn't actually a real problem, so all is fine. It only occurs if I act like an absolute moron or there is a power outage. Both relatively rare events, and the issue has fixed itself by the next day every time. It is not recurrent in any annoying way.
Again, I will not worry.

If something does go wrong, my laptop can apparently run my games too, so all is well.