Share Your Technology Related Hijinks

Mr Poltroon

I've always been quite blessed with my computer. Usually, I have no issues whatsoever. However, there are surely a lot of people who do have problems, going by what I read out there. I'm sure there's some interesting stories or some interesting questions the more tech-savvy among us (read: not me) might shed light on.

Spoiler

There was this period where, if I didn't keep my NVIDIA drivers up to date the monitor would refuse to work with my computer at some point and turn black. From that moment on, up until I updated my drivers, the monitor would stay on for increasingly short periods of times, so it was sort of a rush to update my stuff before I had to restart the computer. Turned into more of a slight inconvenience once I figured out how to fix it.

These days even that seems to be gone, as I haven't had the issue for a while. I do have, however, one other very small issue I could probably fix if I tried. If I leave my computer on for extended periods of time it goes into either suspension or sleep mode... except it exits everything I had on. I've never actually actually seen him do this personally. When I come back it's already on my lock screen and every program I left running is now gone. I suspect what it's actually doing is restarting the PC for whatever reason.

But as for other PCs? Good Lord, everything explodes and I can't do anything. I don't know if I just have good computers or if other people treat theirs badly, but every time I use other stuff things seem to crash at random and I can't even do basic tasks. When the file explorer and the taskbar stop working, I really don't know what to do but manually restart the bloody thing. How dare I try to read a DVD on my computer?!*

*Incidentally, this happened because we don't have a single DVD player at our house. We wanted to see a film and everything crashed every time I tried to right click the drive the film was on. I wonder if I was doing something wrong...?

The thread can always die if nobody's got anything interesting to say.

Well, I've had my issues...
https://disearnestlydisearnest.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/slightly-unlucky-how-my-computer-was-rendered-unbootable-after-trying-to-install-linux/
https://disearnestlydisearnest.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/ram-issue-with-intel-dp67bg-i5-2500k-fixed-yay/

...but my main thing I can't fix is my laptop randomly shutting down sometimes. I suspect it's temperature related, but monitoring programs don't really give me anything absurdly high so I'm honestly still not sure. Could literally just be bad graphics drivers too, the error code is related to that. In the end I've given up on fixing it since it's not that frequent.

21 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

er, well, there was a period where if i put my pc to sleep, it would crash the computer.

My super-duper high-end gaming PC (which my brother left me after moving out from our house - not something I would ever buy myself), once managed to go into sleep mode and never wake up, being stuck in that blinking-diode state no matter what I did with it. It was super weird. Thankfully, it did that impressive "play dead" trick a week before its warranty ended, so I just barely managed to get it fixed for free. From what I understood, they had to flash the bios to get it working again. :huh:

Sadly, I'm not tech-savy, so I can't add much more to this topic. :wacko:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Well, don't buy laptops with 4K screens and weak GPU's. They are simply not worth it, FullHD is more than enough. Well, I have to deal with mine now.

And now I'm having problems with VirtualBox for some reason. I had a guest Windows XP on my old laptop where I played some older VNs, because it's just simpler to make them work that way, but VirtualBox works terribly on my new laptop. Linux lags too much, and Windows XP has some strange problems with sound.

18 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

now my biggest problem is sometimes vn op's wont play. ill just get a black screen and sound but ive accepted that this si just due to my incredibly out of date os. :badnicoman:

Well, it's a pretty obvious thing to do, but did you check your codecs? They are usually the main problem when something is wrong with VN op's.

My laptop freezes if I close the top while it is still on, and I have to do a hard restart.  It also freezes if I let it go to screen saver.  This isn't a capacity issue... it's a compatibility issue, probably.  It is a high-end gaming laptop, but that just means it has a lot of programs in it that clash with certain parts of windows, lol.

Not sure if this counts, but I have a funny story about my Wii.

So I wanted to play Wario World on my Wii 'cause I didn't have my Gamecube with me, and I couldn't get the game to work, no matter how many times I blew on it in case of dust. So I thought the disk might be too scratched to play and looked up methods to remedy it slightly, I did that for about 10 minutes before going downstairs and getting a washcloth and toothpaste. I put a good amount of toothpaste on the disk and used the washcloth to lightly scrub it to get ri of the scratches, I cleaned it with the damp washcloth and tried again. It still didn't work, so I tried putting the Wii in different positions to make it work and it still failed. Do you wanna know what the problem was?

Spoiler

I was putting it in backwards.

Randomly my Touhou 6 game crashes. And once it crashes, it'll crash all the following attempts to launch it, forever. Unless I restart my PC, then it'll start working again. Turn the PC off then on again doesn't work, only restart. It'll work some fair amount of times until the cycle repeats.

Never found out why the hell it does that.

I learned the hard way to never purchase a monitor with a glossy screen. It's very obnoxious to deal with when you're using a keyboard that lights up.

13 minutes ago, Shikomizue said:

So I wanted to play Wario World on my Wii 'cause I didn't have my Gamecube with me, and I couldn't get the game to work, no matter how many times I blew on it in case of dust. So I thought the disk might be too scratched to play and looked up methods to remedy it slightly, I did that for about 10 minutes before going downstairs and getting a washcloth and toothpaste. I put a good amount of toothpaste on the disk and used the washcloth to lightly scrub it to get ri of the scratches, I cleaned it with the damp washcloth and tried again. It still didn't work, so I tried putting the Wii in different positions to make it work and it still failed. Do you wanna know what the problem was?

Hide contents

I was putting it in backwards.

That's not a difficult mistake to make, lol. It's happened to me too!

8 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

learned the hard way to never purchase a monitor with a glossy screen. It's very obnoxious to deal with when you're using a keyboard that lights up.

True, and it hurts your eyes, I think. On the other hand, the color in them is better, and they are slightly more durable, I think, so I'm not sure which type I prefer in the end.

I remember having a Sony Vaio computer a couple years back, and for some odd reason, the display driver kept on freezing all the time. It usually happens at the most inappropriate of times, like playing a game or watching a YouTube video. But even if I wasn't doing anything in particular, it would still freeze regardless, sometimes lasting for more than five minutes. Over the years, it got worse until my computer couldn't take it no more, and it crashed.

RIP Sony Vaio: 2010-2015.

4 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

True, and it hurts your eyes, I think. On the other hand, the color in them is better, and they are slightly more durable, I think, so I'm not sure which type I prefer in the end.

It doesn't hurt that much, really. The only problem I have with the reflection is that it sometimes makes it very difficult to read text in certain games. I do agree that the colors are much more defined in glossy than they are in matte, but I think the reflection kinda spoils the overall image. If I were using any other type of keyboard that didn't light up, I would definitely stick to glossy.

Well, sometimes my android didn't register the touch and my mom android was slowed down, although perhaps it's probably because of the age. Also just recently my dad's Waze application was always closing by itself and quite annoying to him. Also recently my phone was forced to get factory reset because when I play Youtube app, suddenly the speaker let out crash voice and my phone was turned out, only to be prompted to do the factory reset.

There's also my laptop as well in which unfortunately still can't run PS2 emulator well (Very slow), and it's quite old because it;s from 2009. But so far it's still operated nicely, safe for the screen problem in which it did have some white lines on the leftside because I'm quite careless with the screen. There's also the software problem in the past, in which when I played some VNs the screen was suddenly go black and leaving the laptop with only voice from the VN. For most part I'd just think that it's probably came from my laptop because usually it happened whenever I played recent VNs (ie Grisaia no Kajitsu and Steins Gate), but sometimes it's quite baffling because some VN that have the bug is happened to be an old VN (Tears to Tiara and Eien no Aselia). Until now I still didn't understand the cause, but looks like it was solved for now after did some reinstall (Not by me, because when I did tried to do that the problem did happen again).

I guess that's all that I could share for now.

Huh, lot's of strange issues in this thread that I didn't even know were possible. That is, they're far from being outside the realm of possibility, but, even having worked with various digital devices as much as I have, these issues still seem strange.

7 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Out of every single pair of headphones I have ever bought there has not been one instance wherein one side did not die

Truly it is the bane of my existence

Err, there is that. I share your pain, for that most part (I'm gonna jinx myself by mentioning this, but it seems like my headphones break less often when I have at least two sets of them, and currently I have two such working sets).

I'm not sure how interesting it is, but right now my laptop won't play any 3D games. Or at least it wouldn't until I disabled the NVIDIA card.

I tried reinstalling the latest driver, and now the NVIDIA card won't even show up in Device Manager.

I better not have a dead card on my hands... :angry:

2 minutes ago, Sayaka said:

I'm not sure how interesting it is, but right now my laptop won't play any 3D games. Or at least it wouldn't until I disabled the NVIDIA card.

I tried reinstalling the latest driver, and now the NVIDIA card won't even show up in Device Manager.

Good that it's the 2D games that really matter. :mare: 

2 hours ago, Sayaka said:

That's a very strange behavior. Have you tried reaching out to NVIDIA about this? I'm using one of their cards myself and I have no issues running 3D games.

As of late, my laptop's keyboard has some keys which, after the computer turns on or wakes up, stop working temporarily.

I have no idea why this happens, but I have figured out what seems to be a relatively stable fix: I simply spam the keyboard keys, including those which do not function, and they start to after a couple seconds.
Strange.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

As of late, my laptop's keyboard has some keys which, after the computer turns on or wakes up, stop working temporarily.

I have no idea why this happens, but I have figured out what seems to be a relatively stable fix: I simply spam the keyboard keys, including those which do not function, and they start to after a couple seconds.
Strange.

try reinstalling the drivers.

I have this horrible little bug in my unity game where my files sometimes save with the wrong encoding format, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. I've been living with this horrible, little bug for almost 1.5 months now. I'm still waiting for it to die *sobs*

Edited by arosia