What VN Heroine personality types and/or archetypes do you hate the most?

Clephas

After all the VNs I've played over the years, one thing I've noticed is that some heroine types just bore me or piss me off.  Of course, this is often temporary... but it isn't always.  For those who don't understand what I'm getting at, I made a list below of personality and character archetypes.

Common Personality types

Tsundere

Yandere

Yangire

Yurufuwa (sweet and a bit airheaded in manner, if not necessarily stupid)

Kuudere

Pragmatist

Arrogant

Sadistic

Masochistic

Genki (generally energetic, lively)

Chatterbox (example: Chimami from Hoshimemo)

Baka (simply an idiot)

Expressionless (rarely shows emotions, emotions rarely appear on face)

Majime (overly serious, pole up their ass types, by the book types)

Manipulative

Koakuma (prankster, actress-type who likes playing jokes on people she likes)

etc.

Common Archetypes

The Osananajimi (childhood friend)

The Promised Lover

Arranged Marriage Partner

Ojousama (rich girl, girl from powerful family)

Yakuza

Iinchou (class president, always sticking nose into others' problems)

Gal (fashion-obsessed girls, often mistaken for slut heroines)

Villain Heroine/Antagonist Heroine

Yamato Nadeshiko

Idol

Sportsgirl

Tomboy

Fushigi-chan

Iyashikei

Mimikko (catgirls, dog-girls, kitsune, etc)

Youkai

Demons (succubus, demon lords, Maou)

Divine (angels, deities, etc)

Religious Heroines

etc.

I would say Sadistic or Femdom as personality are always a big NO for me.

But not that much as Idol, Ghost and Spirit (like in Fate series) archetypes. They always come with same freaking drama mostly without good end (except Idols, but this archetype are worst as it is...).

Edited by ShinRaikdou

Classic tsunderes are amongst my favorites, but the modern "Sunao janai" version that is randomly violent is something I hate.

In archetypes, I dislike the Osananajimi, because it almost always is used to hide a lack of character development.  All the other archetypes have varieties and different paths their characters can go, but the childhood friend seems to be doomed to be terrible.

13 minutes ago, Toranth said:

Classic tsunderes are amongst my favorites, but the modern "Sunao janai" version that is randomly violent is something I hate.

In archetypes, I dislike the Osananajimi, because it almost always is used to hide a lack of character development.  All the other archetypes have varieties and different paths their characters can go, but the childhood friend seems to be doomed to be terrible.

Ehhh I wouldn't really say that the Osanajimi is all that bad as more often than not it's the protagonist that ruins it rather than the heroine herself.

As for myself, I really can't stand Yanderes. A lot of the time they just feel like they don't belong, or are simply horribly written, and I just don't get the appeal to them in any sense. There is just one, and probably forever just one, Yandere that I like and that's simply because she seems to have gone crazy for a legitimate reason rather than simply being that way because the writer thought it would be fun to have a Yandere.

Hyper and airheaded heroines are something I usually can't stand, as more often than not they're just dumb and infantile and I don't see any possible appeal in that. Especially when it comes to romance, it has this creepy vibe of hooking up with someone who's emotionally and intellectualy still a child.

Every archetype can have its appeal if done right though. I like tsundere/kuudere types the most, just because how satisfying it is when their attitude finaly changes, but I've enjoyed all kinds of pretty clear archetype iterations in different VNs and anime.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

The Osananajimi:

All the VN's I played I didn't like the childhoodfriend... Because I didn't like their personality and the Story was boring. Furthermore their apperance wasn't to my taste. 
I don't know why but they have always the same pattern... But if the Osananajimi was a Coodere and has dark/white long Hair, then maybe I would like it.

Masochistic:

Well I am not really into it... Therefore I hate a extreme masochistic Protagonist.

Lolicon-Heroine:

I don't like it and I will never do.

Spoiler

f70.jpg              --------->                    a0m0N6E9_700w_0.jpg

15 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Hyper and airheaded heroines are something I usually can't stand, as more often than not they're just dumb and infantile and I don't see any possible appeal in that. Especially when it comes to romance, it has this creepy vibe of hooking up with someone who's emotionally and intellectualy still a child.

I like tsundere/koodere types the most, just because how satisfying it is when their attitude finaly changes

I agree! hyper and airheaded heroines are really annoying <.< 

Edited by -soraa

Hyper/airheaded heroines, tsundere, obnoxious fucks, haven't seen a single appealing yandere...

I'm still in HS and I gotta say, I would've gotten much more out of most VNs if their cast felt like actual people or interesting personalities. Trying to sell so outplayed archetypes as a regular girl just doesn't jive with my experience.

Especially the entire "E-e-e-hhhh????? Sex??????? Whaaaaa???????" bullshit gets really tiring. 

At least kuudere can somewhat portray the endemic lack of self-confidence and sadness that's often prevalent at this age. 

I especially hate how almost all of these characters are defined and developed only/mainly through their relationship with the protagonist. We don't see any of their other sides. We don't see their prejudices, their small struggles, their "me times" (no I don't mean masturbation you horny shits I mean what they do and think when they're alone), or their mistakes. Call me romantic, but I find it difficult to connect to such characters. Part of why I enjoy non-SoL VNs much more, interesting plot premises can lead to far more interesting interactions.

There are very few traits that I outright dislike, even among the more negative ones.

I don't tend to like emotionally/mentally weak characters. Depends somewhat on the setting though, and a bit of bravado and bravery can provide some nice counterbalance.

Being a damsel in distress can dry up any positive emotion I have for a character pretty quickly.

There is one thing that can really put me off though: Running away because they see themselves as undeserving/a burden.
I have suprised myself with the genuine hate I have felt for characters who have done this.

These apply to characters in general and not just heroines btw.

I don't think i have an archetype i dislike, NG (anything goes) as far as i'm concerned to it, but if i had to pick under what category where the characters i had the less interest in or where a tad annoying at some point (just to clarify i got nothing against that archetype its just that the characters personality was annoying) i guess i would go with osanajimi....

The archetype is irrelevant and any good personality can overcome the constraints put into place by the archetype.
But a lot of heroines have weak personalties or personalities specifically designed so they'd generate conflict romancing the protagonist due to their archetype.

Perhaps the tomboy-ish childhood friend who tries to give up their love for some odd reason is the most irritating to me. More assertive childhood friends are absolutely fine.
There are some other combinations of archetypes and personalties that spite me, but I can't recall any at the moment.

I can't stand imoutos. I'm so sick of them. I hate blood-related imoutos because the incest thing totally grosses me out (especially since I have a little sister myself), but I also hate adopted/step-/oh she's actually your cousin imoutos, because not only should they still not be attracted to the protagonist in that way if they were raised together like siblings anyway, but it also just feels like such a cheap cop out. Like, if you're gonna go there, you might as well go all the way, you cowards! I'll still hate it but at least I'll know you had some goddamn balls!

At this point, I would take a million osananajimis over another goddamn imouto any day.

2 minutes ago, ThornheartCat said:

I can't stand imoutos. I'm so sick of them. I hate blood-related imoutos because the incest thing totally grosses me out (especially since I have a little sister myself), but I also hate adopted/step-/oh she's actually your cousin imoutos, because not only should they still not be attracted to the protagonist in that way if they were raised together like siblings anyway, but it also just feels like such a cheap cop out. Like, if you're gonna go there, you might as well go all the way, you cowards! I'll still hate it but at least I'll know you had some goddamn balls!

At this point, I would take a million osananajimis over another goddamn imouto any day.

at least I can enjoy the intense ludonarrative resonance the average imouto route creates ("oh, these people are practically siblings but there's no concern of possible abuse, manipulation or grooming in this relationship? ok")

childhood friends are 99% snoozefests

Hm. I did forget about sisters.
I like the existence of the character, but I do not like romances with them. I'd much prefer if they simply remained family as they were. Often means I end up not playing the route. Ironically, the one time I wanted to learn more about the sister character she didn't have a route. Thank you, Yume Miru Kusuri.

Incidentally, where are all the older sisters? Are there not any actual older sisters in VNs? I seem to recall that type of 'personality', but not actual sisterhood.

Tsundere heroines tend to get on my nerves, usually because they're either annoying or just plain mean without proper justification for their actions. There are a few exceptions if done right, but most of the time, they're just the usual "Urusai!" and "Sunao janai" types which are done to death in almost every anime medium.

As for archetypes, just little sisters. I have grown a distaste for them because of several VNs and anime creating implications of or outright promoting incest, and that is crossing the line. I have avoided all little sister routes in VNs for this very reason.

Edited by EastCoastDrifter

If you guys are talking about those new bipolar Tsunderes, then I'll join the hate. Genki usually annoys me more than I found them moe... I'll not even say anything about Baka. But the one that really don't do it for me is Masochist. The reason is pretty simple: I love femdom. And I surely looooove masochist boys~ (And ofc I hate sadist guys bc of this too)

Like Mr Poltroon said, archetypes can be fixed with a good personality so everyone except imouto can be either good or bad. Imouto is just bad.

I'll have to join the ranks of tsundere haters, at least for extreme cases. As Paracelsus said, the dose makes the poison. In general, I think that overacted stereotypical characters are annoying, while just using that stereotype as a little prop for the outline can give birth to very interesting and funny characters. Steins;Gate's Kurisu-tina comes to mind.

That said, it is true that bad tsundere characters tend to piss me off more than other badly constructed stereotypes. The reason, if you ask me, must be because I can't stand rude, arrogant and violent people. But I think there's more to it. You see, tsundere characters never come alone. They are always in pair with, generally, an MC who for some reason  humors them, bearing all the insults and in many cases, the physical violence. They usually say it is for comical relief, but honestly I don't find it funny at all. Rather disgusting, I'd say. So yeah, bad tsunderes are so bad that they come in pairs with another bad character. Keep them far, far away. 

Then I'm also not a fan of airheaded, extremely and unrealistically innocent girls for their age, especially in romance. What I personally enjoy the most of the genre is when both characters share their weaknesses and overcome their hurdles. I absolutely hate it when instead of a reciprocal relationship it turns into babysitting a retarded girl. 

Then again, I'm a believer that you can make any apparently stereotypical character into a very likable and rich one. It's all a matter of depth and developement. 

Edited by Thyndd

I don't hate any of the personality types or archetypes, i dislike the way they're utilised or written out at times. Writers give power to the personality of characters, tsundere's can come of as endearing or obnoxious depending on their script.

Osananajimi characters can be amazing if the connection between the characters are elaborated on and they story-line is given depth and emotion along with a character that can think for herself, an individual rather than existing for the sake of loving the target of her affections. However they are often written out merely to elaborate on the protagonist when he's young [personality, experiences etc] and used as some forlorn character needing the protagonist to figure it out [example].

So yeah, i don't have an issue with any of it [at least the ones i've personally experienced], just the writing and planning of these characters. The vast array of 'types' is interesting. 

Edited by DharmaFreedom

10 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Every archetype can have its appeal if done right though. I like tsundere/kuudere types the most, just because how satisfying it is when their attitude finaly changes, but I've enjoyed all kinds of pretty clear archetype iterations in different VNs and anime.

Air headed can be fine if done right but it is a tenuous balance from being a bit dumb to being too stupid to live.

I really don't care for childhood friend, promised girl (they often go hand in hand) and class representative. Childhood friend simply because it is so overused to the point where I question whether anyone in Japan ever moved or you know had any better friends. Promised girl because it is just so stupid a concept that I got tired of in fucking Love Hina, and Class rep because it's a real foreign concept to me and they are often pretentious busybodies. I also despise any character that is just randomly violent for funs and gags. (though there are some small exceptions)

I have a few character personalities that I've grown to despise.

Overly moral heroines

Extreme tsunderes. You know, the ones that actually beat on the protagonist at every chance they get

Extremely kind heroines. That's the most bland type of heroine you can get.

These are the main 3 I can think of. It all depends on what the writer does with them and if they can't get these archetypes right, I will most definitely hate these types of heroines.

What I despise are the fake shy types. At the beginning she is the best girl, but once you entered her route she gets all genki and hyperactive cuz of love. Well fuck that, I picked her route because I wanted a shy girl not a fucktard. And it happens every single time. The only shy character I loved was Hanako from Katawa Shoujo because she didn't changed in such an idiot. That is why I think she is still the best waifu of all time btw. 

But anyways these fake shy heroines aren't the worst. The worst possible characteristic from a fake, non existent heroine is being a (modern) Tsundere.  Don't get me started why these characters should just be deleted from every single game ever made. 

Edited by Asonn

Anything that strictly adhere to a cliche and doesn't have a hint of original characterization.
If they somehow stick out from the stereotype and/or develop decently during the story I won't mind Tsunderes, shy and submissive girls, imoutos, hell even childhood friends.

Edited by Frullo NDE

I've never liked kuuderes / expressionless-types.  They're empty shells that run afoul of the eight deadly words.  Stupid characters have to be handled carefully or they'll really get on my nerves. I find idol culture twisted and kind of morally repulsive, so I'm not a big fan of idol characters either; there's this undercurrent from the baggage just of being an idol that makes my skin crawl.

Also, I'm really not a fan of abusive or co-dependent relationships.  A lot of these stock characters can easily slide in there.  Manipulative, sadistic, or arrogant, for example, can go there.  The kind of hyper-aggressive tsundere you find in (say) Love Hina, where they'll beat him up (literally) over things they know aren't his fault, definitely goes there.  And yandere / yangire needs to be very carefully handled for the same reason.

Just the one-note obnoxious physically violent tsunderes who's only "depth" is having a bad parent or something and having trouble confessing to the protag and no/regressing character development.

Most other heroine archetypes are fine to me.

Edited by NowItsAngeTime