What VNs do you hope are announced for localization in 2018?

VirginSmasher

31 minutes ago, Silvz said:

w8, white album 2 is being translated and released in 2018? This is one of those myths we see ever since YU-NO was japanese-only. I really hope it is true

I have no clue where you heard about this, but if you're talking about that fan TL project, that TL is pretty bad so it wouldn't be worth playing.

5 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

That isn't really a problem, because localization doesn't normally work that way.  Rights are typically sold off by language and region.  Note that of all the games Hikari Field licensed, exactly one of them is getting an English version.  Moonstone has a relationship with MangaGamer, and that relationship is working out extremely well for them.  Every one of Moonstone's 4 english-translated games is very popular.  So unless Moonstone doesn't know how to negotiate contracts, they still have the rights to give to MangaGamer.

I'd say that the game actually has good odds of getting licensed, even if Magical Marriage Lunatics somehow bombs (which I very much doubt).

Sales of Supipara volume 2 and Trinoline will probably be enough to push Volume 3 over the finish line.

I hope I'm wrong then, Sakura no mori dreamers really deserve a localization. 

7 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Sales of Supipara volume 2 and Trinoline will probably be enough to push Volume 3 over the finish line.

True, if trinoline is popular enough as I don't remember chapter 1 moving the needle much. But then there's a question why spend all that time and money on a pretty unpopular game when you have so many great minori VNs hanging.

13 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

I have no clue where you heard about this, but if you're talking about that fan TL project, that TL is pretty bad so it wouldn't be worth playing.

I just opened the link you guys posted here and there was a 2018 release tag on VNDB, and a TL group as well.

2 hours ago, Silvz said:

I just opened the link you guys posted here and there was a 2018 release tag on VNDB, and a TL group as well.

That's the TL I was talking about. It's apparently pretty bad, almost machine TL quality, and you'd be better off waiting for an official localization company to pick it up.

1 minute ago, Infernoplex said:

That is, if any company picks it up at all xD Do we have any knowledge on whether anybody will ever pick it up?

It's wishful thinking at this point. I'm not saying it'll ever get picked up, but it's got more of a chance than other VNs because of its semi-popularity in the VN scene and the fact that it has an anime will get it more sales , even if the license will probably cost a lot more than usual because they're buying it from Aquaplus.

24 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

It's wishful thinking at this point. I'm not saying it'll ever get picked up, but it's got more of a chance than other VNs because of its semi-popularity in the VN scene and the fact that it has an anime will get it more sales , even if the license will probably cost a lot more than usual because they're buying it from Aquaplus.

I'll tell you a VN that's very popular and has an anime series as well and isn't yet localized officially - Fate/Stay Night.

I bet this one would sell well officially, despite already having a fanTL. If any VN really deserves an official localization by now, it's Fate. The fact that nobody yet managed to get the license for it is pretty telling (I heard it's expensive AF).

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I'll tell you a VN that's very popular and has an anime series as well and isn't yet localized officially - Fate/Stay Night.

I bet this one would sell well officially, despite already having a fanTL. If any VN really deserves an official localization by now, it's Fate. The fact that nobody yet managed to get the license for it is pretty telling (I heard it's expensive AF).

Fate probably wouldn't make as much money as you're thinking. It's already been fan TLed and I can only see new players buying it to play it. Plus, it'd cost a lot more than your regular VN anyways.

There are a lot of VNs that deserve a localization and it's really up to whether or not negotiations with the VN companies go well or not. I can definitely picture White Album 2 and F/SN being localized eventually, but not for another few years at this point.

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Fate probably wouldn't make as much money as you're thinking. It's already been fan TLed and I can only see new players buying it to play it. Plus, it'd cost a lot more than your regular VN anyways.

I'm pretty sure that popular VNs that were already fan-tl'ed generally make much more money than the ones that weren't. Remember Muv-Luv kickstarter?

11 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Indeed, what @Dreamysyu said... Some fanTLs just make stuff more popular. Otherwise, nobody would have been doing official localizations of Sharin no Kuni, Muv-Luv, Grisaia and other VNs I might have forgotten now.

Fan translation or no, I still think Fate should be localized officially. The series is regarded as one of the best anime series of all time according to the western fanbase, and not localizing it officially would be skipping on a perfect marketing opportunity for the fans. Type-Moon, get on it!

56 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm pretty sure that popular VNs that were already fan-tl'ed generally make much more money than the ones that weren't. Remember Muv-Luv kickstarter?

Well, with Kickstarters, it obviously would because of the previous reputation of the VN and the demand for merchandise from said VN. I was pretty wrong with my first statement as well. Already translated games that are put on Steam will definitely make more money than any new localization. 

All we can hope for is for both WA2 and Fate to be localized at this point.

13 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Well, with Kickstarters, it obviously would because of the previous reputation of the VN and the demand for merchandise from said VN.

Well, if somebody made a Kickstarter for localizing Fate, with its popularity I'm pretty sure it could beat even Muv-Luv. Even if we subtract all the merchandise price, licensing Fate can't be that expensive, right? :makina:

Edited by Dreamysyu

10 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

And Muramasa to complete the Holy Kamige Trinity! :D

1. SubaHibi - LOCALIZED!

2. Dies irae - LOCALIZED!

3. Muramasa - NEEDS TO BE LOCALIZED!!!!!

Come on JAST, get your ass on it!!!!! :D

You're asking JAST to localize an over 50 hour long VN...

Well, we're gonna need all the luck we can get.

1 minute ago, VirginSmasher said:

You're asking JAST to localize an over 50 hour long VN...

Well, we're gonna need all the luck we can get.

Hey, it's not like I can ask anybody else, you know! :D

Unless somebody NTRed Nitroplus from JAST, we are stuck with this sad situation where JAST is keeping Muramasa a hostage :(

1 minute ago, Infernoplex said:

Hey, it's not like I can ask anybody else, you know! :D

Unless somebody NTRed Nitroplus from JAST, we are stuck with this sad situation where JAST is keeping Muramasa a hostage :(

Unless Nitroplus becomes disappointed in how their VN localizations are being treated, I don't see JAST being cucked by any company.

If any Type-Moon works were to get localized I would want it to be Tsukihime but that seems even more impossible to happen than Fate. UNLESS WE GET THAT REMAKE WE WERE PROMISED NASU.

As an aside, I can't see anyone cucking JAST. They may be slooooooooooow but the stuff that they come out with is generally pretty high quality.

As for what I personally want to see I would want to see something along the lines of Shin Koihime Musou (Probably unlikely), White Album 2 (also unlikely), any Eushully title, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, and there are probably others but that's all that really comes to mind right now.

1 minute ago, Kabu said:

If any Type-Moon works were to get localized I would want it to be Tsukihime but that seems even more impossible to happen than Fate. UNLESS WE GET THAT REMAKE WE WERE PROMISED NASU.

As an aside, I can't see anyone cucking JAST. They may be slooooooooooow but the stuff that they come out with is generally pretty high quality.

As for what I personally want to see I would want to see something along the lines of Shin Koihime Musou (Probably unlikely), White Album 2 (also unlikely), any Eushully title, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, and there are probably others but that's all that really comes to mind right now.

Tsukihime remake is as much of a meme as JAST releasing more than 3 VNs every 2 years.

For quality on Nitroplus products, they're definitely of good quality. Then we have what happened with Flowers...

7 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

That's the TL I was talking about. It's apparently pretty bad, almost machine TL quality, and you'd be better off waiting for an official localization company to pick it up.

My surprise was because it will probably never get picked up, as, IIRC, the company that holds its rights really "holds" it, having high prices or anti-west policies, something like that. It is in MG's top 10 wishlist every year, but we all know that they won't translate it. Then, what surprises me the most is that even though everybody seems to want it, nobody started a translation before now.

Edited by Silvz

51 minutes ago, Silvz said:

My surprise was because it will probably never get picked up, as, IIRC, the company that holds its rights really "holds" it, having high prices or anti-west policies, something like that. It is in MG's top 10 wishlist every year, but we all know that they won't translate it. Then, what surprises me the most is that even though everybody seems to want it, nobody started a translation before now.

Aquaplus localized some of their Utawarerumono games last year so they're definitely not anti-west. I just think that their license are pretty highly priced.

Even if somebody went and started a TL for it, it's nowhere near the quality White Album 2 deserves, so it's a massive waste of time overall.