Do You Read All The 'Readme's?

Mr Poltroon

Readme  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Read All The 'Readme's?

• Yes.
    • No, I only read them sometimes.
    • No, I never read any.

It has recently come to my attention that my perception of the world may be slightly at odds with reality.

I've always been one to read any and all 'readme's in Software I download onto my PC, but I've been seeing comments around the internet that would suggest people at large do not. Whilst members of this forum do not reflect 'people at large', I would still like to get an impression of how others fare.

Yeh, wait for something to go wrong before reading. Otherwise, the likelihood that that readme is only going to tell me licensing information and system requirements is too high for me to want to read every readme I encounter. That said, I do skim every readme I get from github because those are generally very important.

I would say I read most readmes, and that I tend to turn to them as one of the first areas to search for a solution when running into an issue. However, some readmes are basically useless, and sometimes readmes are still in japanese (such as with some fan translations), or some other condition makes the readme unreadable to me. Of course, I actually read documentation and consult search engines to find problems to technical issues on nearly a daily basis, so I doubt I could be considered the norm... Having served as a temporary tech support for some of my friends in the past, I've been exposed to how much a lot of people simply refuse to read, even when doing so would solve their problem in a matter of seconds.

1 minute ago, Odenvard said:

I would say I read most readmes, and that I tend to turn to them as one of the first areas to search for a solution when running into an issue. However, some readmes are basically useless, and sometimes readmes are still in japanese (such as with some fan translations), or some other condition makes the readme unreadable to me. Of course, I actually read documentation and consult search engines to find problems to technical issues on nearly a daily basis, so I doubt I could be considered the norm... Having served as a temporary tech support for some of my friends in the past, I've been exposed to how much a lot of people simply refuse to read, even when doing so would solve their problem in a matter of seconds.

To 'read' a readme basically consists of opening it and reading all relevant parts. It's obvious one won't be able to read readmes in other languages and that sections such as the credits are often irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

To 'read' a readme basically consists of opening it and reading all relevant parts. It's obvious one won't be able to read readmes in other languages and that sections such as the credits are often irrelevant.

I normally just google translate them to see what funny results I get.

Or I consult a search engine\fuwa tech faq ofc.

Depends on what kind of readme it is, then. I'd stick by my general estimate of "most readmes", but VNs don't really have much to gain from said readmes. I have played a decent amount of RPG Maker h-rpgs, and translators for those often put important stuff in the readmes, or just make more useful ones. There was one such game that had a "translation notes" of some sort, and I read that. It was interesting to read, at least, and gave me a better understanding of why some parts of the game seemed slightly off in their translation. Basically, I read readmes for pretty much everything, but sometimes I can't read them, and sometimes I get the same information from elsewhere before the readme would have been relevant (such as readmes which are basically just installation instructions), though I suppose I skim even those readmes before realizing their uselessness. Not all readmes are equal, and readmes for pretty much any other sort of software is more important than readmes for VNs.

8 minutes ago, Odenvard said:

Depends on what kind of readme it is, then. I'd stick by my general estimate of "most readmes", but VNs don't really have much to gain from said readmes.

VNs themselves don't, but when it comes to fan-tanslation patches, then I almost always check them out. There can be some relevant information there about translation, and some patches aren't very easy to install if you don't know what you're doing.