Recommend me a book!

akaritan

Just now, akaritan said:

I'll be out of town for the next few days, so I need a few books to tide me over. Classical lit is preferred. I like French books a lot. Japanese is also good, especially as that gives me a chance to practice.

Les Misérable.
War & Peace.
Pride & Prejudice.

1 hour ago, onorub said:

I'll be biased for my country and recommend "The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas", because it has the greatest 4th-wall breaking of all time IMO.

Axe of Assis is a pretty great author, I'll have to take my time one day to read his works without pressure.

4 hours ago, Asonn said:

灰色少女の声 -「メンヘラ少女」

This is by far my favorite book of all time.

As the man who managed to get Asonn to buy this after getting it myself, I can only echo this recommendation. Menhera shoujo is p legit.

As for more classical lit though I haven't read a lot but I liked both The Collector (read in school and not hated) and the previously suggested Crime and Punishment (as well as The Idiot by the same author, but I think I prefer the former).

For something that's not French but at least originally romance language, though... The Garden of Forking Paths, part of Borges' Ficciones, was apparently an inspiration to many IF writers - I know Alexis Kennedy at Failbetter (Fallen London) likes citing him sometimes. VNs are often branching stories, and it might provide an interesting look into the subject.

And then there was none - Agatha Christie

The Passage trilogy - Justin Cronin

I could recommend a lot of books, but just these four would be enough for at least a month or two. The problem on recommending books is that there are millions to recommend (and on my shelves, waiting for my free time), so it really depends on what picks your interest. Vns are easier since they are pretty limited when considering english translated ones.

• 1 month later...