Favorite VN?

Inorin

Favorite VN (series)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What's your most favorite VN (series)?

• Muv Luv (Extra,Unlimited,Alternative)
    • Steins Gate (Steins Gate, Steins Gate 0)
    • G senjou no Maou
    • Fate Stay Night
    • Baldr Sky Dive (Lost Memory, Recordare)
    • Grisaia (Kajitsu,Meikyuu,Rauken)
    • White Album 2 (Introductory Chapter, Closing Chapter)
    • Umineko
    • Clannad
    • Rewrite
    • Dies irae
    • Saya no Uta
    • Ever17
    • Soukou Akki Muramasa
    • Zero Escape (999,VLR,ZTD)
    • Sharin no Kuni
    • Subarashiki Hibi
    • Sakura no Uta
    • Danganronpa (Trigger Happy Havoc, Goodbye Despair, Killing Harmony)
    • Others (Please specify)

I just wanna know the demographics for the users of this site. Due to poll constraints, I can only add 20 choices to the poll so please don't kill me if your favorite happens to be not in the list. My favorite is the Muv Luv trilogy; what's yours?

Edited by wei123

8 minutes ago, wei123 said:

I just wanna know the demographics for the users of this site. Due to poll constraints, I can only add 20 choices to the poll so please don't kill me if your favorite happens to be not in the list. My favorite is the Muv Luv trilogy; what's yours?

Well, considering you ask for favorite VN and not VN I consider the best, I'm going to vote for Umineko. On the other hand, I have three 10s on my vndb (Umineko, Muv-Luv Alternative and SubaHibi) and can't really say 100% which one I like more, because, really, I liked all of them for completely different things.

Also, considering Muv Luv also includes Extra, I'm definitely not going to vote for that. ;)

Rose Guns Days. Actually well-paced for such a long VN, incredible soundtrack, very fun and compelling characters with nice motivations and a good story rooted in real life tensios. Usually not the biggest Ryukishi fan, think all of his other works have too many flaws that make me not enjoy them, but nothing I've played has even gotten close to it for me now. 

Quite hard to tell considering I just tried too much VN lol, but I guess Seabed could be qualify considering that I just finished it recently. The first half was quite overwhelming and might be boring for some people, but I like the second half. The overarching question was help me to get through this VN, although in exchange I did pay less attention to the narration lol. Maybe I better revisit this in the future if I have time.

4 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's super-common for people to start with Grisaia or read it very early in their VN experience. After all, you can't say something's your favorite VN if you haven't read it yet (or you shouldn't at least).

---

And well, still Analogue.

Well, that would mean Fuwanovel's community is mostly made of people with very little VN experience. Which is fine, by the way. I also understand this website is a gateway for new VN readers. But I thought at least the people posting on the forum would have on average a wider experience.

20 minutes ago, Overlord87 said:

Well, that would mean Fuwanovel's community is mostly made of people with very little VN experience. Which is fine, by the way. I also understand this website is a gateway for new VN readers. But I thought at least the people posting on the forum would have on average a wider experience.

Depending on how you look at it. I can only speak for myself, but after like 8-9 months of really prioritizing reading VNs over any other past-time I haven't got to fully reading any Kamige. They're just that long and demanding, especially for someone with unpredictable schedule and not that much of free time (or maybe just horrible time-management skills, it's the same effect in the end). So, for many, reading through Grisaia series and a few smaller titles might actually take months upon months of time - and even the relative "veterans", if you look at the "first 5 VNs I've read" thread, don't necessarily have 5+ years of experience and every major VN read. Plus I think people tend to be more active in places like this closer to beginning of their path, when they are excited about the new hobby and everything feels fresh. :>

10 minutes ago, Palas said:

...Maybe people just like Grisaia

That too. :D

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

10 minutes ago, Palas said:

...Maybe people just like Grisaia

Sure. I sort of liked Grisaia too. It's just not *that* good, though. If you consider people with a significant VN experience, it might be the favorite of a few of them, here and there, because it hit some soft spot. But not much more than that. If it actually comes on top in this survey, it will be an interesting information on the community around here.

1 minute ago, Overlord87 said:

If you consider people with a significant VN experience

The poll is public, so you can see who voted for it. And I'm pretty sure Dergonu and Mr Poltroon are not new to VNs. And they still like it.

10 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I haven't got to fully reading any Kamige.

What people call Kamige is the highly popular things, but if they're full of things you don't usually like, it wouldn't be a Kamige for you. Overhype can also be a bad thing and kills the experience. Just read what you like without trying to check some boxes, it's a lot more fun that way!

Aaaaaaaaand from the options available, I voted for Saya!

17 minutes ago, Palas said:

Nah, this is full of shit. Why is it that people who have experienced more will necessarily like more obscure stuff? It's popular because a lot of people like it, not the other way around. If it will say anything about the community, it's that we have a lot of people who like Grisaia - there's no inherent value about it like "entry-level". And this is coming from someone who absolutely hated and dropped it.

No one said anything about obscure stuff. I'm just comparing the results from VNDB, which is sort of the reference for visual novel rating in the west, with the results here. And this comparison has told me some interesting stuff.

And yes, by the way, if person A has read 3 visual novels, including Grisaia, while person B has read 20 visual novels, including Grisaia, it's more likely that Grisaia will be the favorite VN for person A rather than person B.

Also yes, Grisaia is an "entry" VN, for several reasons including but not limited to the fact that it's a good visual novel.

24 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

The poll is public, so you can see who voted for it. And I'm pretty sure Dergonu and Mr Poltroon are not new to VNs. And they still like it.

Indeed. I also hadn't noticed it only has three votes :D

I'll wait until more votes come in and it has more statistical relevance.

36 minutes ago, Overlord87 said:

No one said anything about obscure stuff. I'm just comparing the results from VNDB, which is sort of the reference for visual novel rating in the west, with the results here. And this comparison has told me some interesting stuff.

There is one big difference between VNDB ratings and this poll: on VNDB people cast votes on multiple VNs. And it's a big difference when it comes to statistics. You can also see it that way: between 24 people who voted on this poll so far, 21 didn't vote for Grisaia. VNDB would show what these people think about it. This poll doesn't.

Also, recalling some conversations on this forum from a while ago, there are a lot of people here who don't like Grisaia.

3 hours ago, Overlord87 said:

And also, I don't think comparing information on polls like that with vndb is going to give information about how experienced people are. I'd personally say, it's the opposite: numbers on VNDB, especially for popular VNs, are mostly defined by people with little VN experience, because there's just much more of them there. I just made a little experiment, and looked through 10 random accounts who gave 10 to Umineko (which sits at #5 in the rating and, honestly, tends to be quite overhyped by its fans, so I chose it), and looked how many votes they have in general. And the results are:

6, 27, 128, 73, 7, 4, 68, 22, 18, 100

Even if we include that some voters played quite a lot of VNs, the median is at 25. Doesn't look very experienced to me.

Edit. Actually, I realized that I said not exactly what I wanted to say, so I edited the first sentence. Really, it turned out too wrong. :vinty:

Edited by Dreamysyu

Since I feel like going above and beyond in threads like these, I'll list my top 10 just because. 

1. Himawari
  2. Ever17
  3. Subahibi
  4. G-Senjou no Maou
  5. Steins;Gate 0
  6. Steins;Gate
  7. Grisaia no Kajitsu
  8. Kara no Shoujo 2
  9. Myth
  10. Fata Morgana

Honorable mention to Dies Irae, which has been phenomenal, but I can't rank it since I haven't completely finished it yet.