Has Moege Ever Improved Your Life?

Odenvard

Just as the titles says, I would like to know; has moege ever improved your life in some way?

To give an example, I point to my own experience:

There was a time where, due to having read a bunch of stuff I really, really did not enjoy reading, for an extended period of time, with no real breaks (school related, so I had to read it) , and a bunch of other stress from other things at the same time, I ended up burned out on reading. When I say that, I don't just mean something like "gah, I really don't want to read anymore", but rather that I found myself unable to read anything beyond the most absolute, basic stuff. Like, maybe a paragraph long at most, it was that bad. It was a headache to force myself to do, and, if I pushed myself hard enough to try it anyway, I would rapidly reach a point that my vision blurred to the point where no amount of effort would have let me read any further.

It got better slowly, over time. Not a whole lot better, but it eventually reached a critical point; a point where, upon discovering them, I was able to read VNs. Not super complex ones, mind you. Simple ones, VNs who's value lied far more in having cute girls in them than in any real story they might have had. Basically, moege, as well as VNs which, while not necessarily moege, had the critical elements of such.

Of course, not only could I read these, but I could actually enjoy them. Being able to enjoy reading was nothing new to me; before the whole previously explained issue occured, I probably could be said to have enjoyed reading far more than the average person. But being able to enjoy these when I enjoyed them was a different ordeal. To make a long story less long, I likely recovered from the "trauma" (seems a little obsurd to call it that, but it was an obsurd ordeal no matter what anyways) far, far quicker than I otherwise would have. I likely gained more time overall than I spent reading these VNs. Of course, I'm sure I would have eventually recovered either way. Still, to this day, I'm thankful to the effect that positive effect VNs had on me.

So, yeah. I don't expect stories like mine are that commonplace, but I'd love to hear about any good things that moege (or just any VNs with what you would consider "at least a decent focus on cute girls") have lead to for you.

I only Read one as of yet so I can't say Much, BUT, I can say that It certainly hasn't improved my life all that Much... But I guess If you're a pessimistic person, it can help you take a "break" From the real life affair. I still have to develop a more concrete opinion 'bout the genre (that doesn't involve jk-ing).

Edited by Guest

I'd say so, yeah.

Moege was what introduced me to VNs, and so they will always have a special place in my heart. If not for them, I might not have chosen to pursue a career in translation.

I also just really enjoy reading moege in general. I can always rely on moege to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Of course, reading nothing but moege can be boring, but I generally try to read at least one between each "serious" VN I read.

Improved my life? Disputable, although, if you count all VNs with cute girls, they led me to a hobby more creative/compelling than my past ones and slightly higher self-esteem.

Made me feel better at a specific moment? Surely, but that can be said about harem anime too and its not like I have any respect for those. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Well, I don't really think I've ever read a "proper" moege without inclusion of other genres (and, actually, do they even exist? They at least need to include comedic elements to work, right?) but, yeah, I've read a few VNs with heavy emphasis on moe.

As for whether they improved my life in any way... I don't know, but I really doubt it. You see, elements like that are pretty much hit or miss to me. If comedy there is good and characters are still likeable, I definitely might enjoy something like that. I guess, it's not the worst method to lighten your mood. On the other hand, if I'm bored, I will probably end up hating the VN in question.

8 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

No. It's only caused me pain and annoyance.

Besides Chrono Clock. That was a good one.

Besides that one, I wouldn't have any qualms with moege being eradicated from this planet. 

I agree with this! Chrono Clock was really good and I loved Michiru's route. Therefore I am really looking forword to Hapymaher.
I have a question are Yuri VN's also Moege? 
I like to read Lesbian Love Story more than normal Moege. My heart pounds like crazy everytime I hear that a good Yuri VN gets an english translation :) 

But Moege didn't change my life! However I like to read VN's with Romance and a good Drama. 

Edited by -soraa

7 minutes ago, -soraa said:

I like to read Lesbian Love Story more than normal Moege. My heart pounds like crazy everytime I hear that a Yuri VN gets an english translation :) 

They can be. While the standard moege tends to have a male protagonist with female heroines, you can also have a moe styled yurige, though many of the currently TLed yurige falls into different categories. I would personally call Sono Hana New Gen a moege, as it has more to it than just H, unlike its predecessors, which are pretty much just nukige. Overall, New Gen feels like a moege, but normally won't be called that, since it's yuri, and therefore isn't technically a "normal styled" moege.

5 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

They can be. While the standard moege tends to have a male protagonist with female heroines, you can also have a moe styled yurige, though many of the currently TLed yurige falls into different categories. I would personally call Sono Hana New Gen a moege, as it has more to it than just H, unlike it's predecessors, which are pretty much just nukige. Overall, New Gen feels like a moege, but normally won't be called that, since it's yuri, and therefore isn't technically a "normal styled" moege.

I loved Sono Hana New Gen because of Aya x Ai :)

3b9ce9961-768x1024.jpg

PS: That was actually a joke if Yuri VN's are Moege^^ But you are right what you said :)

Edited by -soraa

Indirectly I suppose. Moege can actually have a lot of little lessons about living the day to day that can help out in a stressful situation, and they themselves are also great stress relievers, being light and fluffy.

They also inspired me to start Moege February, where I shall read only Moege (and maybe an occasional Charage) in defiance of those who would defy us.

Viva la Revolution

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

Not sure if my life got better or worse

Let's ask @HMN

Moe shaped you until you became the loli you are today.

And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Definitely changed your life for the better. :sachi:

I'd say so.

I started with moege and it still covers over half of all the visual novels I've read to this day. They've given me laughs, if nothing else. And even after the gigantic hiatus, I've had with VNs, guess what was the thing I picked up first? Another moege.

'Guess I can't escape them, I like SoL and cute stuff anyways.

As for that kind of question, it might be not quite easy to find the answer but I could say it have some change in my life, because without that I might never posting here lol. Other than that, not much I guess. In the end, it's still a part of my experience though in regard of moege so there's that.

7 hours ago, -soraa said:

I agree with this! Chrono Clock war really good and I loved Michiru's route. Therefore I am really looking forword to Hapymaher.
I like to read Lesbian Love Story more than normal Moege. My heart pounds like crazy everytime I hear that a good Yuri VN gets an english translation :) 

But Moege didn't change my life! However I like to read VN's with Romance and a good Drama. 

Hapymaher has a different writer than Chrono Clock so we'll have to see if it's just as good. I'm excited to read it as well. Literally the only moege I want to read that's being localized at the moment.

• The feel good ones have make me feel comfy and there's lots of sweet moments that make my happy
  • The ones with good art tend to have good H-scenes and as a vanilla H-scene connoisseur who makes ranking lists and has a separate vndb for how much I like H-scenes I'd say it changed my life in that regard