Best VN by Key?

Dreamysyu

So, your thoughts?

My choice may seem slightly weird, but I'm going to say Planetarian. Compared to the other works, it's reasonably short, but at the same time it manages to have an interesting and thought-provoking story about the future of humanity, and still gets the "feels" moments right.

My second choice would go to Rewrite, even though it's not really a Key VN, in a classical sense.

Yeah I guess I might say Planetarian since it is pure distilled Key and showcases what they were really known for which is making you feel really, really, sad.

After that? I'd say Rewrite since it is a real departure from their usual method and was a bold new step forward. Then Clannad because that monolith is about as Key as you can get at least two of the routes are some of the best I've experienced.

Nobody thinks Air is the best? I think Air only misses the spot because Clannad had way more chances to make it right, being the game change for Key. If Air was released nowadays, maybe a remake with new content, it would surpass Clannad in people's taste, at least in my opinion.

That said, my less favorite would be... Charlotte? Can we consider it a Key "novel"? This anime got everything right in the beginning, and then, after the plot twist (everybody knows what happens, right?), it became too boring and meaningless to me. I cried in that scene, but then the whole conclusion was rushed in a few episodes, and the ending felt too forced in comparison to Key's other works. And Clannad does have some weird endings (cof the cat one cof).

Angel Beats!, being as short as Charlotte, did a better job in 13 episodes.

Edited by Silvz

1 minute ago, Silvz said:

That said, my less favorite would be... Charlotte? Can we consider it a Key "novel"? This anime got everything right in the beginning, and then, after the plot twist (everybody knows what happens, right?), it became too boring and meaningless to me. I cried in that scene, but then the whole conclusion was rushed in a few episodes, and the ending felt too forced in comparison to Key's other works.

Yeah, totally. It actually lowered my opinion about Maeda quite a bit. He is good at writing slice-of-life, comedy and "feels" moments, but when he tries to add actual plot to his stories, he fails.

Let's see. Maybe I could say that both of Little Busters and Rewrite did have many different ending songs, and I'd always like that when VN did have something like that. But if you mean the best, then yeah Planetarian would be a good choice considering that it's pretty short, so it's straight to the point compared to many other KEY VNs. Oh, and post apocalypse setting definitely help. I did read this in the past, but back then more or less it just fly over my head lol - maybe I better reread Planetarian in the future.