Can you remember the first 5 VNs you ever played?

onorub

Just for fun. My first five:

- G Senjou no Maou (started in late 2010)
- Fate/Stay Night (started in mid 2011)
- Tsukihime (started in late 2011)
- Kanon (started in early 2012)
- Clannad (started in mid 2012)

After that, my memory starts getting hazy because i would play stuff in-between my Clannad breaks. I think i played Go Go Nippon in late 2012 and Ever17 in mid 2013.

Edited by onorub

This will be a nice opportunity to make it into a timeline, especially because the trajectory that led me here is probably super-weird. It would go like this:

1. RPG Shooter: Starwish (in mid-2011 on Kongregate, it's a shoot'em up with pretty significant VN elements, I had a blurry memory of it for a long time but only two days ago I've finally found what it was - ofc I had no idea what VNs were back then),
  2. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (somewhere in 2014, while browsing free games on Steam - it's a very solid hex-based tactical game/VN hybrid, I was quite impressed with it, but didn't finish the game back then, only did it literally a few days ago),
  3. Analogue: A Hate Story (in mid-2015, still didn't know much about VNs, but was heavily impressed with the storytelling),
  4. School Days HQ (in early 2017, I was intrigued by the anime enough to check what the game looked like and whether I can get a positive ending there),
  5. Ace Academy (2017, soon after School Days - a very sweet, satisfying experience that got me sucked in for good).

An honourable mention has to go to all the dating sims I've played on Newgrounds - some of them have really decent stories and it wouldn't hurt anyone to have them included on VNDB.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

- G-senjou no Maou (started early April 2014)
- Katawa shoujo (started early April 2014)
- Sharin no Kuni (started mid April 2014)
- Rewrite (started late April 2014) 
- Kanon (started early May 2014)

I played all those 5 within 2 months. Best time of my life. I wish I could go back to the day when I discovered their existence. At this time, most VNs bore me to death. Especial the moeges with their asset copy of characteristics and an unsavory, boring story. It's a sign I'm getting a bit too old for this or that I've played too much...  

Edited by Asonn

35 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

This will be a nice opportunity to make it into a timeline, especially because the trajectory that led me here is probably super-weird. It would go like this:

1. RPG Shooter: Starwish (in mid-2011 on Kongregate, it's a shoot'em up with pretty significant VN elements, I had a blurry memory of it for a long time but only two days ago I've finally found what it was - ofc I had no idea what VNs were back then),
  2. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (somewhere in 2014, while browsing free games on Steam - it's a very solid hex-based tactical game/VN hybrid, I was quite impressed with it, but didn't finish the game back then, only did it literally a few days ago),
  3. Analogue: A Hate Story (in mid-2015, still didn't know much about VNs, but was heavily impressed with the storytelling),
  4. School Days HD (in early 2017, I was intrigued by the anime enough to check what the game looked like and whether I can get a positive ending there),
  5. Ace Academy (2017, soon after School Days - a very sweet, satisfying experience that got me sucked in for good).

An honourable mention has to go to all the dating sims I've played on Newgrounds - some of them have really decent stories and it wouldn't hurt anyone to have them included in VNDB.

Oh the dating sims I remember them well that's what got me into both galaxy angel and love hina:mare:

Okay let's see

Galaxy angel 

Fate/Stay Night

Lightning Warrior Raidy 2:notlikemiya:

Ever 17 and then either Moonlit Lovers or Tsukihime?

It's amazing the amount of free time I had back then

Edited by Ranzo

36 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

EOSD for busy people

I'm playing this right now, and I'm laughing so much, I'm loving it!

As for my first VNs...

1) Fate/Stay Night (april 2014) - needed to read my husbando's story in full glory.

2) Comyu (december 2014) - I was pumped up because of Fate and wanted more battle chuuniges. It was disappointing, never read another chuuni ever again.

3) Sekien no Inganock (august 2015) - I so wanted to read Sharnoth, but thought they are a series so I started with Inganock. I'm glad I did it!

4) Shikkoku no Sharnoth (december 2015) - What I really wanted, I was in love with the art style! In the end, I thought that Inganock was better.

5) Togainu no Chi (april 2016) - Started to be in love with BL around that time and decided to play my first BL VN. It was very disappointing, so I played many other BL VNs shortly after to fill the void. :P

Honorable mention: I read my first otomege much later, in february 2017. Never really noticed that it took me a while...

Edited by MaggieROBOT

In order:

1. The Flower Shop: Summer in Fairbrook

2. The Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook

3. Bionic Heart

After that I was so disgusted with the quality of VNs (yes, I know I shouldn’t have judged VNs by some crappy ones.  I was young and stupid) that I didn’t read any for years.  Then I was eventually convinced to try:

4. Katawa Shoujo

It wasn’t good, but it was okay enough that I decided to try:

5. Cho Dengeki Stryder

From then on I’ve read VNs with only the occasional half year short gap.

Edited by finiteHP

It is difficult to reconstruct my timeline, but not impossible.
Making use of my first posts on Fuwa, along with my votes on VNDB, it is possible for me to figure out what I played first, Early 2014:

When I started Visual Novels, I avoided 18+ like the plague. What I do not remember, however, is what made me first try an 18+ game. Well, I actually do know what made me: Fuwanovel. Its list of games frequently showed me the 18+ tag, and I was compelled to try one out. I would like to say the first one was Katawa Shoujo, but I remember I at least saw the H-scenes in that one. This does not align with my memories of skipping the H-Scenes in my first few VNs, and I do remember skipping them in both Sharin no Kuni and Hoshizora no Memoria, which means the first 18+ title was likely one of the prior two. Sharin, I think, is the most likely candidate.
The first VN in which I even attempted to read (and to my amusement found that I had little interest in them) the H-Scenes was G-Senjou no Maou. Now in my later later years I have found that I may have been somewhat overeager in my efforts, for I skipped certain scenes with Usami from G-Senjou that we supposed to be rather emotional and touching.
An alternative possibility for my first 18+ VN springs to mind: It was precisely because I ended up disliking the scenes in G-Senjou that I skipped all the scenes for a few VNs. This would place my reading G-Senjou before Sharin and Hoshizora.

This research has, however, reminded me of something I had long forgotten: I have actually skipped a wealth of content in Hoshizora no Memoria. Didn't finish a route, and skipped most of a couple others. My standards and tastes have clearly changed.

I don't actually remember what exactly the first 5 VNs I played were, but I think that among whatever those 5 were includes Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius and Katawa Shoujo. I'd be tempted to also say Ever17, but I'm pretty sure I dropped it the first couple of times I tried to read it, and then, quite a bit later, actually read through it. Thinking about it, I also played a number of random flash games, some of which I'm pretty sure were at least similiar to VNs, with some of them perhaps qualifying outright. Also, lots of non-VN h-games. I think I even played True Love at some relatively early point.

Basically, I don't know what my first games were directly, but I have a general idea of what kind of stuff it was.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:
Spoiler

4. School Days HQ (in early 2017, I was intrigued by the anime enough to check what the game looked like and whether I can get a positive ending there),

An honourable mention has to go to all the dating sims I've played on Newgrounds - some of them have really decent stories and it wouldn't hurt anyone to have them included on VNDB.

Seems pretty similiar to my start, though you apparently have a much clearer memory of your way here than I have of mine. Having read both Sunrider and Analogue, I'd say that they are both quite good, especially as an entry point to VNs.

Grisaia no Kajitsu (finished)

Kono Oozora (finished)

Grisaia No Meiyuu (finished)

Katawa Shoujo (finished)

Clannad (shelved, about to pick back up)

Easy for me to remember, since I've only been reading for about 6 months.

My 1st VN was Kana Little Sister back in 2005.

2nd would be G-Senjou no Maou in 2014

3rd was Muv Luv, Unlimited, and Alternative(I'm gonna count these 3 as 1 as I pretty much binge played them over the course of 2 weeks and they are essentially a series).  Also read this in 2014. It was G-Senjou and Muv Luv that really made me become a VN fan, which resulted in me reading a crap load of VNs between 2014-2015.

4th was Grisaia no Kajitsu in 2014(the fan patch version).

5th was Natsukumo Yururu read it using a machine translator (it's also where my avatar is from). Despite using a machine translator I really liked it and to this day I hope to see it get translated to English.

Haven't read that many, so it's easy for me.

It all started somewhere on Newgrounds, but the ones there aren't really worth mentioning.

So if i ignore that, it would probably go like this

Everlasting summer

Katawa Shoujo

Kono oozora

And from such innocent VNs, i jumped into Kara no shoujo (not finished btw)

And i think i've read Steins;Gate after