When do you consider a VN to be "finished" in your read-through?

snowbell55

When do you consider a VN to be finished?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When do you consider a VN to be finished?

• When I've completed the true route (if there is one)
    • When I've completed any route to a formal end
    • When I've completed all main routes (except hidden ones)
    • When I've completed all routes, as well as hidden routes.
    • When I've completed everything: main and hidden routes, CGs, all of it.

Hello everyone! First thread here *waves*. 

I'd like to ask - say you've just gotten a new VN and have been enjoying it: when would you consider yourself to have finished reading it? For the purposes of this discussion I'm talking about something like Steins;Gate or Clannad where you have a true ending but also several other routes and endings. 

Personally I'd say it's when I've finished the first main route to a natural, intended ending (ie not some random bad end that just appears out of nowhere), but will continue to read as many other routes as possible if I am enjoying the VN. 

What about you? Do you use a different criteria perhaps? If so, what is it? 

Everything. No hands holding.

That aside, it actually depends on the game itself and what developers had in store for their playerbase. Some games rely more on actual true routes while other are "multiple route" stories, where each route brings insight to the plot as a whole; there's a lot to be taken into account and ultimately, it depends on you as well. If you're a completionist, you will aim to 100% a vn, whether you enjoy it fully, or not but other people might be satisfied with only reaching a true route or doing a route of their favourite characters.

Just finishing all routes and actual endings. I don't care about 100 percenting premature bad ends or unlocking all CG. Like in F/SN I didn't try to get all the tiger dojo scenes. Same goes for games in general I guess. I think I only got about half the endings in Nier: Automata but I got all of the real endings. I got a fair number of the joke endings too but I didn't feel like trying to get them all.

Edited by tahu157

For me I'll normally complete everything especially if I really like the Visual Novel. I won't 100% though if there is a character that I'm not interested in at all. I'll be satisfied with maybe just looking up the cgs in that case.

Edited by Ranzo

When I've finished all girls that I found likable.

In rare instances I am finishing with game after 1 route, because if I came only for her traits and others doesn't seem interesting so there's no point for me to continue.

Funny enough there usually no true routes in my games. Maybe because I filtered all drama/nakige's/ustuge's? Huh.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

This very much depends on the game. Sometimes VN have routes that are more or less equal and I'm not the kind of completionist that plays romances he don't care about etc. just to 100% it. When I'm done with what interested me in a title, I consider it completed. 

On the other hand, in many VNs you can't really say you've experieced them fully until you've got through all the routes, like in Everlasting Summer for example - only at the very end you learn the meaning of the plot and get a proper conclussion. For this reason I think reaching "true end" is closest to my attitude, I want to make sure I've seen the best that the specific title has to offer and hopefully get some closure, but I don't have to necessarily see every path and every CG out there. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

All routes i think (i accidentally choose onlt the main routes option)

I've done all routes in Clannad, but not all the endings for example. I was mostly playing it without walkthrough, so when i got a good end at first try, i didn't go back to check the other possibilities

Simply put, it's completed when I'm satisfied with it. Usually I do all the routes, but especially for moe/sol VNs, sometimes I don't find all the heroines likable and so I don't play their routes.

For action, mistery, drama, etc., all plot-driven titles, I usually play all the routes, although that's not really written in stone (for example, in G-Senjou no Maou I entirely skipped the imouto route and the silver-haired girl route).

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Empty spaces in my CG gallery triggers me... And using 100% saves is a cheating I'll never do, goes against my principles.

But I know that's not a good habit...

Gurl, same, It is unhealthy. But It is so satisfying when you finish all.

It depends. Usually I prefer to at least finish all routes. If I like a vn, I will most likely try to reach all its endings and get all non-h CGs. Though in some cases, when I really don't feel like reading some routes, I just skip them (though it only happened twice, from what I remember right now, and I rated both vns below 5/10, so maybe I should consider these vns dropped rather than finished :makina:).

Edited by Dreamysyu

Well it's depend to what kind of VN that I read I suppose, although since generally I'm always using walkthrough when I played VN, I guess the fifth choice would be quite fitting to me. That said, I have some VNs that I gave up for collecting the CG though so my opinion might be not always true.

Edited by littleshogun

When do you consider a VN to be finished?

When I think I would get nothing better with another route (ex: Snow Sakura or Ayakashibito, after three routes).

Or a rare case : When an ending leaves me fully satisfied (ex : Kira☆Kira after Chie's route)

Edited by Canicheslayer