Issues running games in Wineskin on Mac

ThornheartCat

Hi, brand new here! So earlier this month I bit the bullet and bought Planetarian and CLANNAD on Steam and finally figured out how to get Steam for Windows running through Wineskin, and then figured out that I could get other games running through it as well. I've since gotten a bunch of other VNs running. However, I have encountered a few problems with other games (and one or two with two of these).

In running CLANNAD I cannot get the intro movie working. I know this isn't a big deal, but I can't figure out why it won't work. I've followed the advice here but it still doesn't work. Any advice? And when running Wind ~a breath of heart~, I installed ffdshow as the help files suggested, which got the sound for the opening movie working, but not the video. Neither of these are particularly big deals though.

My first big problem is ONE ~To the Radiant Season~. It has no problems when I open it up, and everything seems to work fine when I hit new game, the text goes and the sound works, but after I get to the title screen, at the point where my checking a YouTube playthrough tells me I should be seeing a calendar with a date being circled, the game stops working. The window turns black and the music cuts out. What's really frustrating is that there isn't even an error message, so I have NO idea what the issue is. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

The second is Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na. I try to open it with BGI.exe but I just get an error saying that reg.exe has encountered a serious problem and has to quit and a message saying "「夜明け前より瑠璃色な - Brighter than dawning blue」を[X]入してください" where [X] is a character that won't load, even though I have set the Wineskin's locale to Japanese (which I know has worked because the message has Japanese in it and isn't just gibberish like it was before). Hitting OK just makes the error message about reg.exe appear again. I don't know what reg.exe is or why it's giving me errors. Is this just a game I can't run in Wineskin? I'd at least like to know if there's anything before I can do before I give up.

The last is the one I least expect to work. I can't get AlphaROMDiE to work when I try to get the Yuki Yuna VN working. No matter how many times I drag the .exe to the AlphaROMDiE window, it doesn't respond. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do?

I'm so sorry for asking so many (probably dumb) questions and thank you for any help you can give! (and if these should have their own threads or something I can do that, I just don't want to clog up the forum)

for running clannad and other key games use RLVM instead, also have you heard winebottler?

the X on yoake ruri most likely the games need the disk to play, since the "入してください" means "please enter" which in common case its need the disk, if you have the original image (iso / mdf) try mount it...

Edited by Huang Ling Yin

Hey, someone else who plays VNs in wine! (I use linux, but its the same software doing the emulation, ultimately)

"To the Radiant Season" looks like an... interesting case. I'll try to look into it directly, and see if I get that issue.

The Clannad issue seems like it can be worked around by using the previously suggested RLVM.

"Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na" might indeed be worked around by mounting the whatever serves as the "play disc" (this would just be the game disc iso if there's only one, and the first one if there's multiple). As a tip for accomplishing this in wine in general, while I don't know exactly how wineskin handles things, try to have the iso mounted in a location which you can have wine read as the "d drive" (drive letter matters far less than the directory being listed as a disk drive in wine, of course). That way, when the game looks for a disk drive, it'll find that.

Sadly, while I had not heard of AlphaROMDiE until now, look into it indicates is one of the types of programs wine has the most trouble with. That's not to say it can't work, but that's its quite difficult to troubleshoot. I did find a program which might accomplish the same thing, however. It's called RLSE Loader*, and that might be worth trying to use instead.

*Not sure if I can link it, but if you search something like "RLSE Loader", you should find a blog (in korean?) that has a few images detailing how to use the program. If you find the same website I found for it, it links to another site (some site with cafe in the same) which actually has the download link for the program directly on it.

Edit: Forgot to ask, but do you know what version of wine your using? Wineskin might be running into some of these issues because of relying on an old version of wine. Of course, if the version it uses is mostly up to date, it's probably not a problem.

Edited by Odenvard

14 minutes ago, ThornheartCat said:

My Wineskin wrapper version is 2.6.2 and its engine is WS9Wine2.22 so I think I'm good on that end. And according to several sources, reg.exe IS the way to get around having a disk...

The wine version seems to be up-to-date, so that indeed would not be the issue.

reg.exe seems to be a way of modifying the registry (which, in wine, is simply a file within the wineprefix). If wine is complaining about reg.exe, I'd have to guess that the game is trying to work with the registry using reg.exe, but is failing in some way. If it's complaining due to a missing disk, maybe there's something it tries to grab from the disk that it can't get. It could also just be a different issue. Unless the game uses a registry entry to determine whether it needs the disk or not, you probably can't work around the issue using the registry. If you find you do need to edit it, such as if you find the some guide telling you to add something to it to get around a problem, using wine's "regedit" (wineskin probably has something that let's you open this from its ui) is likely the sanest way to edit the registry**.

* Depending on how exactly mac handles mounting disk images and such, you should simply be able to mount the disk image at some directory, and then tell wine, using "winecfg", that said directory should be treated as a drive, which would probably be the most correct way of handling the issue.

** Wine's regedit acts essentially the same as window's actual regedit, providing a decent user interface for editing the registry manually. Programs which automatically add registry entries (such as installers, or software during its update process) are the things that would use reg.exe directly, seeing as reg.exe works off of invocation arguments (ie stuff told to the program as part of launching it, instead of interacting with the process when its already up). Essentially, regedit is usable for humans, and reg.exe is usable for other programs.

I will not be exactly able to provide a wine related solution, but I'll give you some recommendation. First of all, I highly discourage the use of wine for VN (and anything else too, actually). Last time I checked on winehq database, my VN was not running that great on the reports. It's been like a year from the last time I used wine, but all those times even after years of development, we'll it's never perfect and never good enough IMHO. I'm a heavy Linux user so I can speak of it clearly.
I'd recommend you instead to try Virtual Machine, you'll never mess up the system like wine can do, and it will work flawlessly most of the time (depending on your machine performance and the VN, but most of the visual novel shouldn't be a problem at all).  I've never used OSX myself, but you're going to use Windows in the virtual machine (Win7?), that's the good thing. Feel free to ask if you need help with setting up the virtual machine, it's quite simple. But don't turn up anything unless you really need to, use around 50% of your RAM, and fixed storage is better, just figure out how many GB you need). You'll know if you need to tune up by playing the VNs, and tune up slowly by small increments.
Try VirtualBox as it's the best for Windows virtualization. Do as follows to play VN:

- Don't install any stuff on virtual Windows, keep it as clean as possible, so it'll be a light Windows and you're going to use it only for VNs. Exceptions are made if you need some special software to install in order to play your VN (create another virtual machine if you want to use Windows for anything else than VNs)
- Install VirtualBox Guest Additions
- If you experience problems with resolution, before starting the virtual machine change your resolution to the one the visual novel is using (find it out on vndb.org), then start the virtual machine, then start the visual novel and use full screen.

I'll always be for open source and free software, but I've got a Windows partition too. Over the years I always had some work to do on Windows with Windows only software, I never use wine nowadays and keep my Linux system as stable as possible (after so many problems I went through with my distro testing repositories and software not distributed by my distro). If you can't have Windows, and you want to play visual novel, go for VirtualBox. It's going to take a couple of hours to set up, but then you're good forever. Also, I recommend you to make a snapshot of your virtual machine after the first visual novel run, if it works good. If something will ever go wrong, you're going to be able to recover your VM state to when it was working flawlessly.

Edit: winehq database https://appdb.winehq.org/

Edited by Sendu

If you're feeling comfortable running stuff from a terminal, you should definitely try playing around with Wine 3.0 stable.

Out of the games on your list, I have the second and third game and managed to get them running on High Sierra.

Yoake op movie and Yoake in-game

Yuuki Yuuna

Some general comments I'll mention:

• The latest alpharomdie has some trouble on wine 3.0 (or mac ... I'm not sure), so try the 2012 version of it which works here.
  • Yoake needs this file to avoid the reg.exe error. If you have the translation patch installed, overwrite their existing one with this file.
  • Make sure you install the DirectX (June 2010) runtimes for newer games
  • Make sure you have the msgothic.ttc copied to your wine's c:\windows\Fonts folder
  • For video playback, you need the quartz+devenum+amstream DLL files from the DirectX (Feb 2010) redist package, registered in wine's system32 folder.
  • Additional codecs using wmp9 and ffdshow is often helpful.
Edited by binaryfail

On 2/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, binaryfail said:

If you're feeling comfortable running stuff from a terminal, you should definitely try playing around with Wine 3.0 stable.

Out of the games on your list, I have the second and third game and managed to get them running on High Sierra.

Yuuki Yuuna

• The latest alpharomdie has some trouble on wine 3.0 (or mac ... I'm not sure), so try the 2012 version of it which works here.
  • Yoake needs this file to avoid the reg.exe error. If you have the translation patch installed, overwrite their existing one with this file.
  • Make sure you have the msgothic.ttc copied to your wine's c:\windows\Fonts folder
  • For video playback, you need the quartz+devenum+amstream DLL files from the DirectX (Feb 2010) redist package, registered in wine's system32 folder.

Using the older version of AlphaROMDiE and that file for Yoake both worked! Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

Apologies for double posting but I'm not about to make a whole new thread for this shit.

I mentioned this in the thread, but the Konosora Retranslation Patch has an interesting problem in Wineskin: the game works, it starts, videos play if you have K-Lite installed, you can quicksave and quickload via the little menu in the text box, but you cannot save or load. Clicking on the save or load button anywhere in the game from any menu results in an instant crash. Meanwhile, the unpatched MoeNovel version on Steam works just fine and does not have this problem, so the patch is definitely part of it. It feels like it may be a longshot, and it's possible that it just won't ever work and I should give up, but at this point I'm kind of just curious as to what the hell the difference even is that results in this error, let alone if there's a solution.

• 5 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 2:47 PM, binaryfail said:

Yuuki Yuuna

where can i download alpharomdie build 2012?
i can't find it anywhere, and the official site only provide the latest version.