NekoNyan, New Localization Company from Saku Saku Translation Team

littleshogun

6 hours ago, -soraa said:

Too much Moe for me.

Seriously 4 of the 5 games are light-hearted SoL, Comedy and Romance VN's. At the first impression they all look like standard moege VN's with a cliche story. 
I mean it's okay if they want to bring out more VN's to the west but they shouldn't just focus on one type of VN's.
It's just like they want to say: "We should just focus on one target-group!" ...
In my case I would be more happy with more Drama and less Comedy or a unique Romance VN with a great story. I am not really a Fan of too much comedy without a story or with just a complete SoL & Romance VN where nothing happens till the end. 
Like I said it's okay if they want to bring more Romance VN's to the west but for the future I hope they pick more interesting VN's.

Before we start to think about the future we should wait if the translation is actually good. 

At the moment I am just interested in Sonoba Witch and Hello, good-bye. In the last few days I started to read Dracu-Riot and I really like this game. Altough I hate Noble Works. But Yuzusoft did actually a good job in Dracu-Riot and I am quite looking forward in their other games. 
Hello, good-bye seems like a interessting romance VN with a good story.

First, I agree. Too much moe is never good for my sanity.

Secondly, with a hilariously terrible name like NekoNyan Soft, do you really expect them to localize anything of actual depth? I do hope they prove me wrong, but with their "ambition," it shows what they have their sights on localizing.

Plus, I've heard that a couple of people working on translations for the company aren't very good at their jobs, so we should really tone down the hype for any new company. I mean, remember Mikandi?

How many western VN publisher are there now btw?

These are the ones I can think of

Mangagamer

Jast USA

Sekai Project

Frontwing

Sol Press

Nekonyan

Mikandi

Fruitbat factory

Cherrykissgames

A lot of them are quite new, think only 4 of them existed before 2016 (as localisation companies atleast).

Edited by bakauchuujin

2 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Mangagamer

Jast USA

Sekai Project

Frontwing

Sol Press

Nekonyan

Mikandi

Fruitbat factory

Hikari fields

Cherrykissgames

A lot of them are quite new, think only 4 of them existed before 2016 (as localisation companies atleast).

It is quite ludicrous how far VN localization has come since I read my first VN back in early 2014. Never would I have imagined it'd get as big as it did.

Also, all of these new companies have a lot to catch up with. It took Mangagamer years before they got great at localizing VNs. I just hope this new company decides to hire better translation staff later down the line and localize more than just moege.

2 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Mangagamer

Jast USA

Sekai Project

Frontwing

Sol Press

Nekonyan

Mikandi

Fruitbat factory

Hikari fields

Cherrykissgames

I wonder, did you deliberately leave out Meonovel? :sacchan:

35 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

Isn't Mikandi actually working with sol press?

It seems like they're just doing PR work for them.  Can't confirm that, obviously, but they're not working on the TL, at least.

4 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Hikari field

delet this

6 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Plus, I've heard that a couple of people working on translations for the company aren't very good at their jobs, so we should really tone down the hype for any new company. I mean, remember Mikandi?

Last time I suggested that, I got shit on for being a cynic  :notlikemiya:

8 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Secondly, with a hilariously terrible name like NekoNyan Soft, do you really expect them to localize anything of actual depth? I do hope they prove me wrong, but with their "ambition," it shows what they have their sights on localizing.

On Reddit people found that they had a preview image for a sixth game up.  It's gone now, but it was supposedly for this game.  (They numbered their images 1.jpeg, 2.jpeg, etc. and then left 6.jpeg accessible.)

26 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

On Reddit people found that they had a preview image for a sixth game up.  It's gone now, but it was supposedly for this game.  (They numbered their images 1.jpeg, 2.jpeg, etc. and then left 6.jpeg accessible.)

My hype aside, I just like the possible headline "NekoNyan Soft localizes Action chuunige game." It just seems so out of place with the name of their company.

Also, no, I will never let that name go for as long as I live.

2 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Guys, why are you so sceptic?

Maybe, someone can explain, what's wrong? Staff has a bad reputation in community or what?

I hope that they will be a lot more communicative with their customers, not like Sekai Project...

As for why, both of Saku Saku and Hoshimemo translation from them was apparently quite less than acceptable for some of people here, especially the latter. Here's the thread in regard of Saku Saku translation, and here's another in regard of Hoshimemo (Note that it also the review thread). As for me, I'm more or less would like to wait and see in regard of their translation, because from what I understand translation were pretty much subjective matter and therefore it depend on each people whether they'll find it good or not. Besides, they just did two work so far and here we have five projects so there's should be some room for improvement (Hopefully). Although maybe if there's a case like either Konosora or Libra, then perhaps we better more wary about that.

PS - If anything, I just hope that they wouldn't repeat their mistake back when they released Hoshimemo with untranslated text, although since Tokeijikake did have the same mistake I guess it goes to Sekai as well in regard of the blame.

Edited by littleshogun

37 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Considering the text on the pages for their VNs I think the translations aren't going to impress most people, though as long as it isn't very bad I think I will buy them as long as they release physicals.

Is there any reason to belive they will though? I was always under impression that physical releases by these small companies rarely ever happen beyond kickstarter rewards (and NekoNyan won't crowdfund their games, at least at this point). 

3 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Is there any reason to belive they will though? I was always under impression that physical releases by these small companies rarely ever happen beyond kickstarter rewards (and NekoNyan won't crowdfund their games, at least at this point). 

I believe the main reason to think they will release physicals would be their claims to do just that. At least SanobaWitch will have a physical release, as can be seen in the FAQ page, and they are not opposed to others, should the opportunity arise.

http://sanobawitch.nekonyansoft.com/

- We know many of you love physical copies and we've quite extensively discussed how to go about this. For now, the plan is to let you purchase physical copies through a pre-order system since we can't really afford to overstock at the moment. The first title that is going to get full physical treatment, including an awesome lineup of official tokuten/merch is Yuzusoft's very loved Sanoba Witch. And yes, you won't be getting just some cheap copies, you'll be getting the official stuff. The good stuff. We hope you understand that due to time constraints (and lacking funds) our first two releases (Fureraba and Hello,goodbye) won't be getting a physical release. At least not initially. Depending on how much you guys want it, we would love to do limited physical releases a little bit later.

Here is a part of their announcement for a bit more context. 

7 hours ago, Veshurik said:

I hope that they will be a lot more communicative with their customers, not like Sekai Project...

Communication doesn't mean shit if you can't deliver good translation. Mikandi was ruined because of this fact and that's why they have to work with SoL Press now.

Their policies are ideal for a company, but the quality behind the product isn't assured yet until they release their first VN. Simple as that.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:58 AM, VirginSmasher said:

Their policies are ideal for a company, but the quality behind the product isn't assured yet until they release their first VN. Simple as that.

Agreed. The fundamentals are the fundamentals because without them, you have nothing.  The people involved do not have the best track record on those fundamentals.  We'll have to see.

I'm going to choose to be optimistic here. SP aren't generally known for the highest quality releases and I like to believe that now without that horrible company breathing down their necks the work is going to be much higher quality and that they'll do what they can to work with their customers to deliver the best experience possible.

1 hour ago, Kabu said:

I'm going to choose to be optimistic here. SP aren't generally known for the highest quality releases and I like to believe that now without that horrible company breathing down their necks the work is going to be much higher quality and that they'll do what they can to work with their customers to deliver the best experience possible.

Optimism is usually nice for new companies, but with the track record the people involved have on 2 releases with Sekai Project means that that kind of quality isn't a coincidence. We'll have to judge that with their first release though.