What, one feature in some VN's like you'd like to see more commonly in VN's as a whole?

Thatcomicguy

23 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

isnt that a given?

I, for one, prefer machine tls.  They'll always be inherently superior to liberal translations because machine tls don't take as many liberties with the script, and as such, get much closer to the original jp, word for word.  The closer to what the author originally intended, the better.

EDIT: :SmallKappa:

KoiRizo had a function in the backlog where you can jump back to any line and have the sprites return to their original positions for that line and replay the voiced lines, almost like mini-save points for every single line.  I really wish that was standard.

* Skip to next choice

* A % bar tracking your progress, (not just CG progress, but individual values for both lines read, CGs seen etc,) like in Kono Oozora Cruise Sign

* The ability access the CGs you have unlocked the moment you unlock them, instead of having to finish a route. While this is decently common, many VNs still use the silly "lock the CG/ music gallery until you finish a route" system, which I hate.

* A timer that keeps track of the amount of time you have been reading for, so you can more easily get a proper estimate of how long it took you to read the game.

Specific for localized titles:

* Turn mosiacs on / off from the menu. (Some scenes/ games just has terrible de-censored art, and I'd much rather look at the mosiacs in those cases, lmao.)

9 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

* A timer that keeps track of the amount of time you have been reading for, so you can more easily get a proper estimate of how long it took you to read the game.

Seconding this, the length indicator in vndb/egs is not always accurate - some of the Medium length VNs I've read in default auto mode definitely goes way higher than 30 hours.

Flowchart is nice but sometimes you just don't want to be spoiled, maybe after you finish all the routes.

5 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Another feature that I remember liking was in Ever 17 you could save the cgs to your computer and I think remotely make them your desktop wallpaper

Oh and a way to listen back to all the BGM's you unlocked going through the story

Heh, I came here intending to mention cool extra bonuses that Ever17 had, like wallpapers and even system sounds, I'm pretty sure (that is, sounds that could replace the default Windows sounds with voices from some of the characters). For VNs I really like, having cool ways to remember it, such as wallpapers you get when you complete that VN, are something I quite like, although its a pretty rare feature.

Oh and do the revolutionary thing that Muv Luv did and have sprites that can actually turn away from you/turn their backs to you. They don't always have to be staring at you with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns 

I also remember seeing the demo to Nekopara when it was about to come out and remarking this is the future when they started moving.

7 hours ago, Odenvard said:

Heh, I came here intending to mention cool extra bonuses that Ever17 had, like wallpapers and even system sounds, I'm pretty sure (that is, sounds that could replace the default Windows sounds with voices from some of the characters). For VNs I really like, having cool ways to remember it, such as wallpapers you get when you complete that VN, are something I quite like, although its a pretty rare feature.

It's a really lovely feature but yeah you're right they could do the system voices. Hollow Ataraxia I remember did something similar

4 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's possible to change the standard icon for an application on Windows if the original one looks that bad. :sachi:

That's true about the shortcut, but what about the icon in the taskbar? Maybe if you delete the icon itself at the installation folder.