Just bought a Vita -- now what?

eris

I love reading newspapers, going to malls and buying print magazine subscriptions, so I thought: Why not buy a mostly-abandoned portable console?

Turns out the Vita is fucking rad and a used one is about 200 cheaper than a Switch. What should I be doing to make the most of the Vita? Anyone wanna join my Vita coven (a few years too late)?

There's a huge amount of otomeges for Vita! I recommend Code Realize, it's pretty good! The three Danganronpas, plus Ultra Despair Girls, are also there, if you did't played them on PC and like investigation games.

On the non VN side, if you like JRPG, there's also a good collection of them, like Persona 4 Golden. I also like to play metroidvania games on portable, like Shantae or Salt and Sanctuary. And if you like rhythm games and weeb songs, there's also Project Diva games and Persona 4 Dancing All Night.

Yeah, I also bought a Vita very cheap last year, so I'm still hyped about it, even if it kinda is a dead console XD  Enjoy!

There's a handful of VN experiences for the Vita like Danganronpa, Steins;gate 1+0, Zero Escape, Root Letter

Bunch of JRPGs, Persona 4G, Trails in the Sky / Cold Steel series, Ys for the epic stories and characters, Atelier series for the casual slice of life adventuring, Hyperdimension Neptunia for the memes, Sword Art Online for the Asunas

On the more fanservicey side we got stuff like Senran Kagura, Gal*Gun Double Peace, Valkyrie Drive, Dungeon Travelers II

WHAT'S UP MY FELLOW VITA LATECOMERS

Muramasa: Rebirth for a beautiful handpainted artwork Vanillaware metroidvania. I've mainly used mine for digital PSP games so far, like Corpse Party and Persona PSP. Also I bought htoL#NiQ and Yomawari but I haven't checked them out yet.

Oh and I second the other posts.

Thank you for the recommendations!! Started Trails in the Sky and downloaded the FF Tactics port. Looking forward to playing otome games and Valkyrie Drive in the future.

Is it worth it to check out the Japanese PSN if my reading ability is minimal? I hear some releases have English options.

Edited by eris

Congrats on the new Vita.  That little handheld really doesn't get the appreciation it deserves.  

Regarding VNs, I'll also put another vote in for Code Realize.  I've played a few Otomege and by far C:R is one of the best, if not THE best.  Also if you're looking for something a little different from the standard JRPG I would recommend htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary and A Rose in the Twilight.  Both are great puzzle games that emit a very quiet, eerie atmosphere that can't be matched on the Vita.

15 hours ago, Sayaka said:

WHAT'S UP MY FELLOW VITA LATECOMERS

Muramasa: Rebirth for a beautiful handpainted artwork Vanillaware metroidvania. I've mainly used mine for digital PSP games so far, like Corpse Party and Persona PSP. Also I bought htoL#NiQ and Yomawari but I haven't checked them out yet.

Oh and I second the other posts.

YEAH, HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT MURAMASA!!! It's awesome, like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

Oh, and I played Yomawari and it's pretty cute but full of jump scares, pretty fun!!

As long as Idea Factory stands, there will be games for the Vita.

There's also a lot of dungeon crawlers and assorted RPGs. Like Trillion, Criminal Girls 1+2, Operation Abyss 1+2, Akiba Trip, etc.

Some of them are being ported to PC but then, some aren't.

8 hours ago, Okarin said:

As long as Idea Factory stands, there will be games for the Vita.

There's also a lot of dungeon crawlers and assorted RPGs. Like Trillion, Criminal Girls 1+2, Operation Abyss 1+2, Akiba Trip, etc.

Some of them are being ported to PC but then, some aren't.

I want to play Criminal Girls but I'm salty over the censorship. Let North Americans spank their inmates unimpeded!

18 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Just learn japanese and play a lot of visual novels based on things that has an anime :) Like the date a live or nisekoi vn.

How do you get those games? Importation, right? Because I don't think they sell such games in the West, even in the virtual store.

33 minutes ago, Okarin said:

How do you get those games? Importation, right? Because I don't think they sell such games in the West, even in the virtual store.

I know there's a way to access the Japanese PSN store but it involves some fakery and also I'm lazy. :P

Personally I import them through either amiami or playasia. I also do have a japanese psn account though since I prefere physical I have only used it to buy some extra stories on the sakurasou no pet na kanajo vn as well as download some day one dlc, and bought the oreimo vn, since it is a psp game.

Edited by bakauchuujin