What VN's Have You Stalled On? Or Outright Dropped?

Thatcomicguy

We all have at least one VN that's so boring or uninteresting that we've taken a break from it and totally promise to come back and finish one day I swear... Or some that's even worse that we've dropped all together.

For me it's these (I would link the VNDB pages in but I've forgotten how :wahaha: )

What about you guys?

What I've Finished Recently - 

Kamidori Alchemy Meister (04/01/2018-21/01/2018)

Utawarerumono  (13/12/2017-04/01/2018)

What I'm Currently Reading - (Don't read more than one at a time like I do with this stupid habit I've picked up from somewhere it really slows you down)

Hadaka Shitsuji

Saku Saku

Lightning Warrior Raidy 1

Dengeki Stryker

Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru Part 1

Littlewitch Romanesque

My Stalled Titles -

Binetsu Kyoushi Cherry - I've finished all the good routes besides the class friend and the bad routes for their CG's but those route just bore me unlike the others involving the teachers.

Chrono Clock - I've spoken about this one a few times already. I really enjoyed the art, the common and Makoto's route but the sister's and the snobby posh girl routes are pretty dull to the point were I can't be arsed to try the others yet.

Clannad - I'm going to get shit for this one haha. I love Clannad, it's writing, it's characters and the routes are all unique and touching... besides Nagisa I can not stand her, so add her and that slow pacing is why I've stalled on the second half of the game, the true route if you will and yes I know what happens to her I've had it spoiled. 

D.S. -Dal Segno - I was really looking forward to this one coming off the rush of the DA Capo series (3 was a let down but 2 remains in my top 3 best VN's) But all the routes that I've read more or less follow the same plot, of getting along really well, break up near the holidays and get back together and bang at the end... I've got the cousin and the AI route left but I'm on hold somewhere near the end of the goth chick's route.

Gaokao Lianai Yibai Tian - Haven't played very much of this and honestly it just got buried and forgotten when I started to loss interest due to how you need to remember what to do day to day to avoid one of the I think it has 20+ endings. 

Harem☆Party - This VN is what it is not bad but not great either, The only reason I've stalled on it is the weird text bug where letters and words end up really off place is the best way to describe it.

Heirs and Graces - I like the western indie developer that makes these games, Loren The Amazon Princess is by far his best game. This one suffers with, if you don't match the required stats at the end you'll fail but you need to keep an eye on other things at the same time so juggling the high requirements makes you fail so easily. 

Roommates - Not as much as the game above (made by the same guy) But still a bit of a pain I think I've only got One route left though.

Sagara-sanchi no Etsuraku Life ♪ - This had promise but the infamous BGM bug makes it really hard to focus and unlike most VN's where I sometimes like to mute and listen to something else in the background you can't mute this unless you mute your speakers, so a big pain there because, BY GOD THE FREAKING VOLUME OF THE BGM IS UNREAL THAT USING ALL CAPS IS NECESSARY TO SHOW THE PAIN OF MY EAR DRUMS AFTER PLAYING THIS.

Sakura Beach 2 - I bought this the same time I bought the first one... which is also before I came to realise that Winged Cloud while the art is good the "plots" are not (I hear they've got a few new writers and it's turning around for them though) The first one is so boring that I tried to rush through this just to finish the last of their titles but it's just so freakin' boring.

Starless - Reason because... Well if you've read this you'll understand why it's not something so casually read.

Sumeragi Ryouko no Bitch na 1 nichi - Good job I didn't pay for this... Errr I mean... It's okay but the sex scenes drag on longer than needed.

Tales of Aravorn: Seasons Of The Wolf - Same reason as Roommates, This is more an RPG like Loren but still a slog to get through.

My Outright Dropped Titles -

Iinazuke wa Imouto-sama! - I didn't drop this because it was bad per say, only because the English patch gave me more trouble than it was worth by the languages constantly switching back and forth mid read no matter how many times I tried to sort it.

Shounen to Chijo Oneesan-tachi no Shiawase H na Apaato Kurashi - This is so bad in so many ways It was a miracle I got as far in as I did. I could list what's wrong with it but It would take less time if I tried listing what's good with it instead. In a nutshell don't even bother looking it up it's that bad. 

Edited by Thatcomicguy

For all of these, the motive came down to "felt like i did enough/didn't feel like doing more"

Amagami: Did half the routes.
Every single Tokimeki Memorial game: Did anywhere from 1 to 5 routes.
Amaranto: Did half the routes, story was pretty meh.
Big Bang Age: Only did Kunagi's route.
Fate/Extra CCC: Only did Gilgamesh normal route.
In Your Arms Tonight: Only did the MC's boss and story was super cheesy, so i said "screw it".
Demonbane: Only did Al Azif's route.

Edited by onorub

21 minutes ago, onorub said:

For all of these, the motive came down to "felt like i did enough/didn't feel like doing more"

Amagami: Did half the routes, story was pretty meh.
Every single Tokimeki Memorial game: Did anywhere from 1 to 5 routes.
Amaranto: Did half the routes.
Big Bang Age: Only did Kunagi's route.
Fate/Extra CCC: Only did Gilgamesh normal route.
In Your Arms Tonight: Only did the MC's boss and story was super cheesy, so i said "screw it".
Demonbane: Only did Al Azif's route.

I think it's safe to say I've never heard of any of those titles haha.

Stalled on Clannad (not the first time I've stalled on this VN either). Like it's characters (Nagisa seems to get a lot of hate on this forum, but I like her too), and the endings are really powerful. But it's pacing is really slow, so I get bored somewhat. I'll definitely return to this when I finish Dal Segno.

Stalled on Doki Doki Literature Club. My depression just had to spike up when I played this. I'll play it later for teh memes though.

Other then that, I've never dropped any VN's. I've got a ton on backlog though (I bought a ton on the Steam Winter sale) xD

Edited by r0xm2n

3 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Stalled on Clannad. Like it's characters (Nagisa seems to get a lot of hate on this forum, but I like her too), and the endings are really powerful. But it's pacing is really slow, so I get bored somewhat. I'll definitely return to this when I finish Dal Segno.

Stalled on Doki Doki Literature Club. My depression just had to spike up when I played this. I'll play it later for teh memes though.

Other then that, I've never dropped any VN's. I've got a ton on backlog though (I bought a ton on the Steam Winter sale) xD

Haha My black log is 71 on Steam and 90 downloaded from else where haha xD 

I haven't play Doki Doki yet but it's in the back log. Clannad's main problem is it's pacing even the most die hard fan will have trouble not admitting that haha otherwise it's amazing. 

Stalled - Tears to Tiara 2. Reason: I actually enjoy the tactical RPG parts, but to reach them I have to read 1 hour of boring talk and I don't really like any of the characters. But hopefully I'll finish it.

Dropped? More like "not 100%" - Fate/Extra. Reason: it's not thaaaat good of a game to play three times. Played "Male MC with Aka Saber and Rani" then "Female MC with Archer and Rin" and done. Enough for me, didn't bother with Caster.

I'm about halfway through like 10 different VNs. I have a problem.

Chrono Clock - I've spoken about this one a few times already. I really enjoyed the art, the common and Makoto's route but the sister's and the snobby posh girl routes are pretty dull to the point were I can't be arse to try the others yet.

You gotta finish it Cro's route is so good and she's adorable

Edited by PapaRabbi

8 minutes ago, PapaRabbi said:

You gotta finish it Cro's route is so good and she's adorable

I'm getting a little tired of Naked Butlers as just getting the endings you haven't seen even with a guide is a pain, but it's made me want to go back and clear off some old dormant ones so I'll probably give it another crack when I can. 

From all of these in your list, I'd only continue Clannad. The others you could drop, not because they are bad, but because there is no good motive to keep reading them.

I've dropped a lot, but the one that I've read the most before dropping was SubaHibi. I simply hated it, even though I was interested on the plot, but everything was so boring, both story and characters, that I had to stop and start new stuff. It just didn't click,

9 minutes ago, Thatcomicguy said:

I'm getting a little tired of Naked Butlers as just getting the endings you haven't seen even with a guide is a pain, but it's made me want to go back and clear off some old dormant ones so I'll probably give it another crack when I can. 

You've made the right decision.

Stalled: Grisaia no Kajitsu. I still haven't played all the way through and still haven't finished Makina's route. I think at the time I just wasn't interested in her character

Stalled: Steins Gate. I ended up at Suzuha's ending randomly without knowing it and never started back up with it (I never really knew there were multiple routes when I first played it)

Stalled: Chaos Head. I kind of just stopped playing it for no real reason I do plan on starting back up eventually

Stalled: Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Played it a little bit of it but stopped when I got to the untranslated part of it. (this was years ago) Heard about the complete translation but have yet to play it again.

Stalled: Maji de Watashi. Same deal got up till Shiina'syet untranslated route moved on to other things eventually lost interest.

2 minutes ago, Silvz said:

From all of these in your list, I'd only continue Clannad. The others you could drop, not because they are bad, but because there is no good motive to keep reading them.

I've dropped a lot, but the one that I've read the most before dropping was SubaHibi. I simply hated it, even though I was interested on the plot, but everything was so boring, both story and characters, that I had to stop and start new stuff. It just didn't click,

I've held off on SubaHibi because of how it divides it's readers. It would make my life so much easier if I could drop them but I know the minute I'd drop one I know I would do it more and more often and I really don't want to adopt that habit too haha.

1 minute ago, Ranzo said:

Stalled: Grisaia no Kajitsu. I still haven't played all the way through and still haven't finished Makina's route. I think at the time I just wasn't interested in her character

Stalled: Steins Gate. I ended up at Suzuha's ending randomly without knowing it and never started back up with it (I never really knew there were multiple routes when I first played it)

I've got Steins Gate in my backlog and have my IRL friends nagging me to read it as the anime is meant to be great (I wouldn't know I hate watching any anime haha)  With Grisaia no Kajitsu I felt the same with Amane's route I love her character but by god that route is slow and dull.

I stalled out on Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- I just really was not feeling it, and I'm sure I'll get back around to finishing it eventually. Another I recently stalled out on is WORLD END ECONOMiCA it seems interesting, but slow, and I'm not really sure where the plot is going, but not in a good way. Once again, I plan to finish it eventually. Eventually...

13 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Dropped Princess Evangile, though  I don't know if its counted as dropped if you stop after 30 minutes. After the horror that was saku saku, I've started to despise all moeges.

Princess Evangile is a real slow burn which I enjoyed but also found very boring due to its run of the mill high school slice of life tale, not really adding anything unique. I've just started Saku Saku last night and now I'm about to lock into my first route. It's better than I was hoping so far at least I held off on it for a while after it's release as I heard it wasn't great.

1 minute ago, Thatcomicguy said:

Princess Evangile is a real slow burn which I enjoyed but also found very boring due to its run of the mill high school slice of life tale, not really adding anything unique. I've just started Saku Saku last night and now I'm about to lock into my first route. It's better than I was hoping so far at least I held off on it for a while after it's release as I heard it wasn't great.

Saku Saku's common route is its least terrible thing. Just that the actual routes, blow some minor problem out of proportions, and drag it on endlessly, to the point where you don't even care anymore.

2 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

all playthroughs do need to be played at a stretch for maximum effect though. If you do replay it much later, try to replay it from the start (first playthrough)

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

Saku Saku's common route is its least terrible thing. Just that the actual routes, blow some minor problem out of proportions, and drag it on endlessly, to the point where you don't even care anymore.

Damn I had a feeling that was going to happen just by the way Ann and Yuri act in the common route by getting worked up by minor things.

I've stalled Grisaia no Kajitsu simply because how long it is and how little time I actually have for reading lately - it makes me prioritize short stuff. I've also stalled Nurse Love Addiction because I feel it deserves being picked back up when I have enough time and proper mood to play through it, most likely will get back to it in the summer.

I don't consider a VN "dropped" if I went through all the content that really interested me (even if its just one route), but I sometimes come back to the "already finished" VNs to complete them after all, especially if I want to review them and don't want to miss anything and risk misrepresenting the game. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Well just 30 minutes of the playtime couldn't be considered as dropped to me here. That said, as for the prime example of my stalled VN it would be Chrono Clock, because I've been finished two routes and already in Makoto's route for more than half a year. Other than that, there's Yumina which is notable because of the heavy gameplay segment thing, and it would be a long time to pick up the pace again. I hope that someday I'll be able to continue those two in the future.

In my case:

Ever17: it fell really lifeless for me

Comyu: tried it but to be honest so far i couldn't progress very far as i loose interest in anything that's not Kagome... And seeing how i got to finish most routes before hers its a hassle....

Lightning warrior raidy 2: halfway through it i had to drop it due to some rl issues, need to restart it one of this days.... But its a chore to have to restart it from scratch...

Diviner knight towako and taimanin asagi are in the same boat as lightning warrior raidy.

Chrono Clock - dropped after makoto's route, i cant stand the translation and how they adapted it to sound more american.

There are really few VNs that I dropped, but, the ones I remember (Stalled, not dropped tou)...

Corpse Party Sachiko's Game of Love ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U: Even tou the game is funny, I guess I was bored of Corpse Party at the time, so I ended up stalling it (the interesting thing is that everyone thought that this was a jk side story, but, there is actually important lore info here.)

Wild Romance: There is only so much that absurd Nukige dialog can entertain me and I was kind off tired during the time, so I sort just passed through the scenes and didn't even finish all the "Routes".

Aside from that, I don't remember anymore, tou, for a Honorable Mention here, I WAS going to read Libra of the Vampire Princess and Princess X one day, but, the majority of the people said it was shitty (both) and recommended me to not bother with it.

Edited by Guest