Multiple questions

Sparteh

I know a few people who play VNs, but don't have accounts so they keep asking me various questions that I can't answer since I haven't played most of VNs they are interested in. So I have decided to make a list of all those questions and ask them here:

1. Rose Guns Days VS Subahibi for next long VN and why? (for person who loves plot based VNs and chuuni, but hate moe)
  2. Is Kara no Shoujo worth playing considering it is a mystery vn and a person was heavily spoiled about the ending of VN? 
  3. How good are Baldr Force and Zero in terms of plot compared to Dive?
  4. Good VNs with MC similar to Senri from Sorcery Jokers? (besides Grisaia)
  5. If one decided to read 1 Key work, which should he choose: Air, Kannon, Clannad or Little Busters? (considering that person read Rewrite and liked Moon route the most)

3 hours ago, Sparteh said:

I know a few people who play VNs, but don't have accounts so they keep asking me various questions that I can't answer since I haven't played most of VNs they are interested in. So I have decided to make a list of all those questions and ask them here:

1. Rose Guns Days VS Subahibi for next long VN and why? (for person who loves plot based VNs and chuuni, but hate moe)
  2. Is Kara no Shoujo worth playing considering it is a mystery vn and a person was heavily spoiled about the ending of VN? 
  5. If one decided to read 1 Key work, which should he choose: Air, Kannon, Clannad or Little Busters? (considering that person read Rewrite and liked Moon route the most)

2 Yes

1.Never played SubaHibi, but i'm pretty sure Rose Guns Days has more action, so you might like that more.
2.Still worth playing, but knowing who dies beforehand does diminish the enjoyment of it.
3.Never played Baldr series, but from what i've heard Force is as good as Sky and Zero is a bit inferior.
5.Maybe Little Busters overall, but the Summer Route from Air specifically might be the most to your liking.

1. As for that, if the one who ask the question didn't want to see yaoi sex scenes then I'll just recommend Rose Guns Days. Rose Gun Days was have more action as well, so if your friend like action then I would recommend him to try Rose Gun Days over Subahibi.

2. More or less it's just linear VN seeing that you must use the walkthrough to avoid the bad end lol. Anyway, as long as your friend enjoy the detective game thingy I think it's still worth to play it, and perhaps develop some affection for some characters only to be turned out that aforementioned character did have some grim fate await her (Well this is eroge, and eroge usually have many female characters. Do the math).

3. Well I couldn't say the exact answer here, although if I may say which is better than I would say Force simply because it was developed before Sky, and therefore bring the original story compared to Zero which is developed after Sky (And obviously use some good story element from Sky, so the execution might be lacking). Oh, and if your friend was interested with revenge then Force should be good recommendation

4. Kenichi from Sharin and Kyousuke from G-Senjou maybe, although I admit it was too mainstream though for the choices. For other choice, maybe Narita from Hello Lady, Kaito from Akagoei, and Yamato from Majikoi. Keep in mind that I might be wrong in regard of those recommendation.

5. If he really like Moon route, then I would suggest him to read AIR because more or less the route was almost similar from what I could gather, especially in regard of certain plot point.

Well, that's all for the answers and hope it could be help for your friends. Keep in mind that some of recommendations were in Japan.

Edited by littleshogun

On 22/01/2018 at 5:48 PM, Sparteh said:

1 - RGD is a personal favorite, and it is not as long as Subahibi, I think. There is a LOT to enjoy in this game, and it is very underrated for what it really is. People may prefer subahibi, but I personally didn't like it (and dropped it).

2 - Yes, of course! Mind that the end of the first game is just the premise for the second one, and the third is not even released yet, so there is way more for you to enjoy here. Also, there are way more endings than just the True one.

5 - I'd start with Air, honestly. It is great and way shorter than Clannad, LB and Rewrite. As a first entry, Air should provide the best of Key without feeling too dragging. That said, all of them are worth the reading and a must buy for any VN fans; the thing here is just deciding which to go first.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:48 PM, Sparteh said:

1. Rose Guns Days, because Subahibi is blech

2.  Haven't read it, don't plan to

3.  Baldr Sky Zero is both more comedic and the setting is more morally dark than Skydive.  Baldr Force has not aged well, but it is still good... though SKydive is still better.

4.  Ikusa Megami Zero (after the game's turning point), Sinclient (after he regains his memories), Tokyo Babel (similar personality, differing reasons), Vermilion Bind of Blood (cold about most things, save when he isn't).  None of those is absolutely perfect, because Senri isn't an archetypical personality, meaning his personality isn't widely used.  Most characters that seem cool on the surface tend to go into 'emo explosive mode' at some point, in various directions.

5.  If you liked Rewrite, don't read Key, because it doesn't share anything with Key's other works but the humor.

Edited by Clephas

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

None of those is absolutely perfect, because Senri isn't an archetypical personality, meaning his personality isn't widely used.  Most characters that seem cool on the surface tend to go into 'emo explosive mode' at some point, in various directions.

This explanation seems interesting but a bit too difficult for me, I couldn't understand meaning. Can you explain me in an easier way?

3 hours ago, Kirashi said:

This explanation seems interesting but a bit too difficult for me, I couldn't understand meaning. Can you explain me in an easier way?

For better or worse, most characters with a cool, reserved demeanor tend to have a 'switch' that sets them off, causing them to explosively release their emotions.  In Toshirou from Vermilion's case, it is anything related to his long-deceased wife, for instance... 

Senri is pretty much cool and composed throughout the entire VN, which is an unusual trait in a protagonist. 

An archetypical personality is a basic personality type that is used frequently enough for it to be instantly recognizable.  Examples would be the 'classic tsundere', the kind-hearted protagonist who is loved by everyone but is absolutely average in every way, etc.

21 hours ago, Clephas said:

1. Rose Guns Days, because Subahibi is blech

2.  Haven't read it, don't plan to

3.  Baldr Sky Zero is both more comedic and the setting is more morally dark than Skydive.  Baldr Force has not aged well, but it is still good... though SKydive is still better.

4.  Ikusa Megami Zero (after the game's turning point), Sinclient (after he regains his memories), Tokyo Babel (similar personality, differing reasons), Vermilion Bind of Blood (cold about most things, save when he isn't).  None of those is absolutely perfect, because Senri isn't an archetypical personality, meaning his personality isn't widely used.  Most characters that seem cool on the surface tend to go into 'emo explosive mode' at some point, in various directions.

5.  If you liked Rewrite, don't read Key, because it doesn't share anything with Key's other works but the humor.

Well, I dropped those guys who asked me all this a link to the thread. Now they can't complain.

Though I personally  got particularly interested in your 2nd answer. No offence, but you seem as a guy who reads everything in row. Why so negative about KnS?

5 hours ago, Sparteh said:

Well, I dropped those guys who asked me all this a link to the thread. Now they can't complain.

Though I personally  got particularly interested in your 2nd answer. No offence, but you seem as a guy who reads everything in row. Why so negative about KnS?

It isn't so much negativity... it is that I'm not terribly fond of horror-mystery stories.  If the protagonist was the killer, I might have an interest, though.  If one of those pops up for the monthly release, I tend to either avoid it or - since I started having others help with VN of the Month - hand it off to fun2novel, who likes that kind of thing. 

To be more specific... I don't really like non-fantasy horror mysteries.  Akeiro Kaikitan and Nanairo Reincarnation are good and are horror-mysteries, at least in part... but without the fantasy element, I'd lose interest in seconds. 

Well since the one who want MC similar to Senri already knew this thread, might as well answer here directly.

As for MC similar to Senri, if we follow Clephas definition here then I would say that Sachiko from Seabed would be arguably qualify. For most of the VN she was quite calm, and didn't overreacted at a certain reveal. Granted considering that type of VN, she wouldn't be do some magic combat like Senri but at least she is quite composed one as well, seeing that she realized her mental problem by herself at the beginning of the VN. 

Edited by littleshogun