In your opinion, do visual novels portray romance realistically

ratboi

8 minutes ago, alden_0023 said:

In terms of portrayal of HS romance, it is quite accurate in terms of the awkwardness, tiptoe-ing around, and petty fights. (Also that premature stuff)

But asking a VN to real life romance beyond that is a tall task, since real life romance tends to end bad, or not end at all. So we'd be getting more bad ends or play until the couple dies and turns to ashes.

Also, I feel a real life romance VN will still feell too manufactured, as we'll mostly likely skip the boring part and tend to focus more on the dramatics.

Yes I agree that many portray high school romance realistically 

9 hours ago, ratboi said:

This is a thought that has been on my mind for some time. Now we all know the chances of a high school couple staying together forever are slim. You meet new people once you leave school, etc. I do know that it’s possible. But do you think visual novels present teenage romance in a way that is realistic?

School Days may be the most realistic romance.

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

Yes, its probably what you are thinking off. No endings, for those who haven't watched/played it though. Its terribleness should be experienced by everyone.

Maggot Baits is obvs the better and most realistic romance story.

9 hours ago, ratboi said:

Yes I agree that many portray high school romance realistically 

I remember in my high school day, that dude who was super random and no one knew, but he had a super power that allowed him to attract the 5-6-7 best girls of the entire highschool that happens to be of very precise tastes and with 0 actual personality, and he happens to be able to bang them all, because obviously they were virgins that happens to be better at sex than Mia Khalifa and Alexis Texas.

Trully, VNs are realistic. 

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I remember in my high school day, that dude who was super random and no one knew, but he had a super power that allowed him to attract the 5-6-7 best girls of the entire highschool that happens to be of very precise tastes and with 0 actual personality, and he happens to be able to bang them all, because obviously they were virgins that happens to be better at sex than Mia Khalifa and Alexis Texas.

You forgot the fact that atleast one of the girls was his sister and atleast one of them his childhood friend. Also some of the girls may have been aliens that looks just like humans or spirits with superpowers :)

Edited by bakauchuujin

1 minute ago, bakauchuujin said:

You forgot the fact that atleast one of the girls was his sister and atleast one of them his childhood friend. Also some of them may have been aliens that looks just like humans or spirits with superpowers :)

Also one of them were supposed to be around 15-18 years, but they have the height, apperance and the stereotypical maturity of a 6 year old. 

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, Ningen said:

The question should be whether romance is portrayed realistically in the context of the world and circumstances the game is set in.

If it makes sense according to the logic of the game, then the game is a good game.

While that might be a question to ask, that's not what the op asked for though.

5 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Trully, VNs are realistic. 

A vn protagonist can usually bang 1 girl per alternate universe, though.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

1 minute ago, WinterfuryZX said:

A vn protagonist can usually bang 1 girl per alternate universe, though.

There is this thing called... Harem end that you know...

One example of a moege series with a harem ending is Nekopara

Imouto Paradise is kind of a moenukige, which has a harem end which is the true end. Also think Love Love Life Ojou-sama 7nin to Love Love Harem Seikatsu and Love Love ♥ Princess Ohime-sama ga Ippai! Motto Ecchi na Harem Seikatsu!! are moenukige with harem endings though I haven't played them yet, got the physical edition, just have a lot of other titles to read first.

No. I'm sorry, but Imouto Paradise is a nukige through and through.  Moonstone Cherry is Moonstone's special brand for nukige, and, I mean, come on.  What's Imouto Paradise about?  It's about banging your imoutos.  Sex is the primary focus of that game, and that's the definition of nukige.

Nukige does not mean "has no story".  Funbag Fantasy is clearly a nukige.  And yes, having a harem route is one of the hallmark signs of being a nukige (although it's not a perfect tell; some things that have harem routes are not nukige.)

"Moenukige" is not a thing.  There could be examples of a game that might be hard to classify as one or the other, but until you can show me a large group of such games, that is not a subgenre.

Edited by Nandemonai

Well maybe not, but then again there's some example that also happened in real life. So maybe it's not that unrealistic, although parents were mostly always absent and your childhood friend cook for you was a bit overdramatic though. Oh, and obviously most people here wouldn't have sex until they marry, so the sex part was definitely quite unrealistic - more if we consider that most if not all VN girls were just at below 18 years old (The disclaimer was obviously lies lol).

11 hours ago, Okarin said:

Things like Katawa Shoujo do it better. And that's because Katawa doesn't have to move between the usual Japanese tropes. 

It's even worse, Katawa Shoujo is a depiction of virginial american's dreams.
But Katawa has to be unrealistic, it is telling a pretty passionnate story, something that is closer to Key's stuff, we don't need realism in such works, we need to feel the emotions, that's the most important thing.

4 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Well maybe not, but then again there's some example that also happened in real life. So maybe it's not that unrealistic, although parents were mostly always absent and your childhood friend cook for you was a bit overdramatic though. Oh, and obviously most people here wouldn't have sex until they marry, so the sex part was definitely quite unrealistic - more if we consider that most if not all VN girls were just at below 18 years old (The disclaimer was obviously lies lol).

When you say realistic, you have to apply the same formula in real life and get the same result, i'm sorry, but 1-2-3 exceptions doesn't mean anything, it's called a stastistical error, at most.

4 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

When you say realistic, you have to apply the same formula in real life and get the same result, i'm sorry, but 1-2-3 exceptions doesn't mean anything, it's called a stastistical error, at most.

Well you got a point. That said, I believe that there's some example that could be happen in real life as well, such as childhood friend romance thing (My late aunt was coincidentally have that trope lol). But I understand that some of the romance in the VNs could be exaggerated, so much that it was very unrealistic.

PS - As for a guy managed to attracting five to ten girls without effort, unless the guy was handsome I think it was impossible in real life.